Mt82 question, piece of shit trans

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I love my MT82. Only issue I've had, which isn't trans related, is my pressure plate bolts backed out. Pretty neat transmisshun to me.

No comment on the TR6060. Personally, of all the manuals I've had this MT82 is my favorite. 9500 miles, absolutely no problems.

bw281

forum member
Reaction score
Take it in, you bought a great car, and Ford tried shitting on their loyal customers with a pos Chinese bullshit trans. take it in, maybe after all the issues Ford is having with this Mt82, it won't be done again in the future.

Reaction score
agreed , if they would give me a whipple kit we will call it even ;) im gonna call my dealership tomorrow and see if they have an auto car like mine

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
No issues with my MT82 trans. I can speed shift the fuck out of it too. I need to make a video of my shifting. Stock shifter and all and it just pops right into the next gear.

Sent from my iPad2.

Dirt Holden

Reaction score
hayabusa, do you still have the stock trans fluid in there?

This is my experience...MT82 with notchy shifting, and on cold starts i would sometimes get some grind. Changed out trans fluid a couple different times with varied success. I never found any metal specs or shavings, this trans really can take a lot of abuse.

Then I tried Redline MTL. Holy dog crap, instant fix. No grind and smooth shifting. It's actually so good that I've put off the MGW shifter upgrade until later. I never had too much cabin noise, so I cant comment about that.

Others have seen the same drastic improvement I did, others did not. So just another inexpensive thing to try.

L454S

Retired Wrench
Reaction score
If your tranny is as loud as you say, get it fixed, that is definately wrong. But, don't be pissed off at Ford because you have to undo YOUR mods beforehand. After you swap back the shifter, you will be able to tell if it is indeed the trans. or the insulation with the new shifter.

5,000mi on mine never a problem, changed out the FF about a month ago to Redline MTL just to get rid of the break in wear(do this on all my cars). Can't tell any difference.

Oh, and you are aware that the GT500 guys are bitchin about their crappy shifting Tremec right........as are the Camaro guys..........

Last edited:

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
No comment on the TR6060. Personally, of all the manuals I've had this MT82 is my favorite. 9500 miles, absolutely no problems.

I think its hit n miss , 2000 miles , zero issues zero noise . MGW shifter and bracket . :clap:

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
2000 miles isn't enough to tell. Mine only started whining around 6500. Others have said theirs have started at even higher mileage, around 10k.

I think harder driving helps to accelerate the problem.

Ford's TSB for the cold notchy shift problem says to swap out the trans fluid to the Twin disc clutch fluid.

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
No issues with my MT82 trans. I can speed shift the fuck out of it too. I need to make a video of my shifting. Stock shifter and all and it just pops right into the next gear.

Sent from my iPad2.

No issues here either on my '12...I've got about 20+ plus passes launching off the rev limiter on MT ET Streets. 4k miles.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Take it in like every none said. My tranny lost a synchrom in 5th. 1-2-3 shifts was all grinding. They replaced the tranny and clutch. Ever since been perfect.

giddyup

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a close ratio 6speed that will fit the 4.6? Besides the mt82.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
You can get the center section of the Dodge, or Pontiac G8 GXP , or Camaro 6060 and swap the tail shaft and bell housing/mid-plates. Or swap gears. the shafts are the same size. They use a little larger bearing, so you have to keep the bearing and cases together. That is what i did with my 6060. My gears are now 2.97, 2.10, 1.45, 1.1, .74, .50. It is cheeper to buy the complete trans, than buying the gears. And you have parts to sell when your are done.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Richmond has one called the ROD, but you would have to get a lakewood bellhousing for it to work and probably some other things.

It would take alot of work and fabcation to install that trans from Richmond. It is the size of a GM M21. I would not say it can't be done, but you would have to fab a shifter too.

Boomer_Gooner

forum member
Reaction score
It would take alot of work and fabcation to install that trans from Richmond. It is the size of a GM M21. I would not say it can't be done, but you would have to fab a shifter too.
For all the hassle the MT-82 has been causing, I personally would probably go the ROD route including the price of fabrication and tranny plus the cost of a new GT just to be reliable and happy. But you are correct in that it would be a project not for the faint of heart.

Hufen

forum member
Reaction score
That would be fine if you didn't need a speedo. At this time there isn't any way to make the speedo work. Plus you would need to change rear end gears to make up for the different tranny ratios.

hate to lose the warrenty, but the reviews on the 6r80 are awesome unlike the 5r55 piece of shit!!! from what i understand making the 6060 work in this car could be challenging, just due to the ecu, I like the idea in a previous post they made mention of the t-56 which is a bolt in job .

I know this thread is a month old, but i just wanted to point out that the tr6060 works fine in the 5.0. Ive had one in mine for almost a year now heh.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
i just wanted to point out that the tr6060 works fine in the 5.0. Ive had one in mine for almost a year now heh.

And you made the speedo and computer work how ?.............

Reaction score
I know this thread is a month old, but i just wanted to point out that the tr6060 works fine in the 5.0. Ive had one in mine for almost a year now heh.

well, care to elaborate how you got it to work? I heard the electronics are not plug and play.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back