Mt82- time to rebuild or replace

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 mustang Gt with 64000 miles, I've had the car since new and already had the transmission replace once due to the fact the 5th and 6th gear were grinding bad. Dealer put in a new transmission with a exedy clutch right about 30k miles about 3 years ago. Now my first and gear reverse gear are hard to get into, I mean I have to push and fight with it, feels like it's going to break Goin in, when I'm doing this with out the car being in gear it starts moving fwd even with the clutch fully engaged as it starts to want to get into gear if that makes any sense... This only happenes while the car is on, if I turn off the car the gears go in flawlessly, any help and what are your suggestions. Thanks in advance

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Trouble going into gears running and wanting to move with the clutch pushed down sounds like a problem with the clutch/slave

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Trouble going into gears running and wanting to move with the clutch pushed down sounds like a problem with the clutch/slave

Shifts fine into other gears once it's running, so you're saying all I need is a new clutch?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Yea +1 on the slave cylinder. My 07 gt's slave is going south and it does the same thing. The biggest tell tale is when trying to put it in 1st from a stop and the car creeps forward. The clutch isnt disengaging all the way so its like trying to put your car in gear with the clutch partially pressed. The clutch should be good but check it out while the trannys out.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Where is your engagement point on the clutch pedal? Does it engage with the pedal close to the floor or more toward the middle of the travel range?

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Yea +1 on the slave cylinder. My 07 gt's slave is going south and it does the same thing. The biggest tell tale is when trying to put it in 1st from a stop and the car creeps forward. The clutch isnt disengaging all the way so its like trying to put your car in gear with the clutch partially pressed. The clutch should be good but check it out while the trannys out.

Exactly what it does, real hard to pu it in gear and then when it does it creeps fwd real real slow even with the clutch pedal to the floor

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Where is your engagement point on the clutch pedal? Does it engage with the pedal close to the floor or more toward the middle of the travel range?

As it is right now it's on the floor and even like that it feels like I have the clutch just enough off to make Te car creep slowly

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea, agreed.

clutch engagement at weird spots, and having the car try to creep forward with clutch in means transmissions fine somethings up with slave

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Thats good its not the tranny, at least not yet lol. Luckily its not too bad to replace the slave cylinder.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea its easy....especially when your engine is on a stand/hung from a crane, and then breaking the slave and needing a new one.....RAGE

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
I'd avoid driving it in the meantime if you can. Driving on a clutch that won't fully disengage is a great way to damage your transmission.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a chance that it needs bleeding?? Sounds like air in the line/slave to me!!:mexsmoke:

Not unless there is a compromise in the hydro system with respect to the slave cylinder. I've done clutches (EXEDY MACH 500 FTW BTW) in two previous cars due to power upgrades. It's a pain to get the thing bled out after completing one, but thereafter no issues unless there is a problem.

I learned the hard way. Never reuse a slave cylinder regardless of what the dealer says. That bit me in the butt. Exedy Mach series clutch kits can be ordered with their heavier duty slave cylinder as part of the kit.

OP - Others who have had issues with Slave cylinders have also at times experienced clutch slippage because brake fluid (which is the fluid in your slave cylinder) seeps from the failing device and migrates to the clutch disk face. Don't let this go on if you think the clutch assembly still has life left in it. Heck go ahead and spend the extra on a Mach 400 with slave cylinder kit and redo it all. You are already in there. Ounce of prevention is worth a lot of road side assistance...Good luck OHH! And don't lose site of the pedal being a part of your problem either. After all that is the device responsible for moving the fluid in the system.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back