My 2015 test drive.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Well I got to spend 4 days with a 2015 Ecoboost convertible while in Florida. It had about 2k miles and smelled brand new. My first impression was a rather nice throttle note for a 4 cylinder and improved sightlines. Seats were reasonably comfortable and supportive and interior quality is much improved from my previous '06.

Then I drove it. My first trip was about a 15 minute run to the bed and breakfast which included highway and around town driving. I must admit all the noise this car has made in the media had set my expectations fairly high. Power seemed adequate for a fun run but the EB won't win too many drag races against contemporary sport models. The car felt lighter than my '06 and fairly tossable. I was curious as to how the IRS would behave leaving on hard throttle from stop. Although it definitely didn't have the odious "snap" feel of s live axle I felt the wheel break loose too easily considering it's power level. The next thing we noticed was the engine was very rough at about 55 mph, almost as if it had a misfire. I sped up and slowed down but it continued around that speed (didn't pay attention to RPM's). I played with sport mode and steering track mode. As expected sport mode maintained higher shift point and "feels" like it makes more power but gets annoying for if you're just commuting. Driving with the top down through cobblestone roads in St. Augustine, you could hear rattling from the suspension. Not what I'd expect from a new car with 2k miles.

The strangest thing about this car was the steering and handling. Contrary to EVERYTHING I've read, this car floated and drifted at highway speeds so much my wife asked if I was swaying on purpose? Do a sudden lane change at 70 MPH and you'd better be alert. I really couldn't believe how bad it was. My '06 had morphed into a track beast so I can't say I remember exactly how it felt when stock but my impression is it was not this bad. I set the handling to "soft" and it felt like a 1978 LTD. Again the passengers also commented on the ride so I don't think it was just me.

Now I've read tons of reviews and the 7:32:xxx 'Ring lap time claims for the GT350 but I cannot understand right now how to qualify my experience. I am considering a GT350 and plan on driving one when they come out later this year. I hope I'm equally shocked in the other direction.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Interesting, if unflattering review. Was the car a stick or auto?

Now I've read tons of reviews and the 7:32:xxx 'Ring lap time claims for the GT350 but I cannot understand right now how to qualify my experience. I am considering a GT350 and plan on driving one when they come out later this year. I hope I'm equally shocked in the other direction.

I would certainly think that after driving a four cylinder vert, even if it was awesome, you'd be blown away by the GT350!

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Auto. Maybe the open top had something to do with it? Honestly, I'm at a loss to.

I EXPECT the GT350 to be better than my Griggs' car but actually drivable on the street. I'm loving the sound of the flat plane crank.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tired of the 911 Paul?

Glad to read you'll be back in a Mustang.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Was this a rental?

Probably someone had an encounter with something before you and the car was off, hard to understand it being that bad, when I rented the '13 V6 it felt really good.

Your old car setup is going to be hard to beat, I really enjoyed driving Michael and Denise around PA with it.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I remember when I was looking at a Boss 302 that the dealer did not allow test drives in that car unless money was on the table. I'm wondering how you plan on test driving a gt350? That was just my single experience, just wondering.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was looking at a Boss 302 that the dealer did not allow test drives in that car unless money was on the table. I'm wondering how you plan on test driving a gt350? That was just my single experience, just wondering.

make-it-rain-guys.gif

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Yea I didn't come in with stacks so they were probably thinking get this guy outta here. We'll let him drive a v6. I think I ended up driving a 13' 5.0

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Strange. I drove both a new 5.0 with the performance package and a new EB with the performance pack. Neither exhibited any of the problems you noticed. They were smooth and I felt no swaying even in a strong cross wind.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Well I got to spend 4 days with a 2015 Ecoboost convertible while in Florida. It had about 2k miles and smelled brand new. My first impression was a rather nice throttle note for a 4 cylinder and improved sightlines. Seats were reasonably comfortable and supportive and interior quality is much improved from my previous '06.

Then I drove it. My first trip was about a 15 minute run to the bed and breakfast which included highway and around town driving. I must admit all the noise this car has made in the media had set my expectations fairly high. Power seemed adequate for a fun run but the EB won't win too many drag races against contemporary sport models. The car felt lighter than my '06 and fairly tossable. I was curious as to how the IRS would behave leaving on hard throttle from stop. Although it definitely didn't have the odious "snap" feel of s live axle I felt the wheel break loose too easily considering it's power level. The next thing we noticed was the engine was very rough at about 55 mph, almost as if it had a misfire. I sped up and slowed down but it continued around that speed (didn't pay attention to RPM's). I played with sport mode and steering track mode. As expected sport mode maintained higher shift point and "feels" like it makes more power but gets annoying for if you're just commuting. Driving with the top down through cobblestone roads in St. Augustine, you could hear rattling from the suspension. Not what I'd expect from a new car with 2k miles.

The strangest thing about this car was the steering and handling. Contrary to EVERYTHING I've read, this car floated and drifted at highway speeds so much my wife asked if I was swaying on purpose? Do a sudden lane change at 70 MPH and you'd better be alert. I really couldn't believe how bad it was. My '06 had morphed into a track beast so I can't say I remember exactly how it felt when stock but my impression is it was not this bad. I set the handling to "soft" and it felt like a 1978 LTD. Again the passengers also commented on the ride so I don't think it was just me.

That's too bad. I'm guessing it was a combination of the base suspension, base tires, no roof and maybe the car had hit something previously.

I'm really impressed with out GT/PP car. For stock it's pretty amazing for a Mustang.

The GT350 is going to be sweeeeettttt. My buddy has been wheeling them all over the place (works for SVT). He really, really likes it. So much so that he is planning on getting one. Which he said he wasn't going to do at first. He didn't want to spend the $$$.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back