My 5.4L 3V N/A build thread

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I doubt we'll see his true HP #'s with a 5500 stall converter. The real test will be at the track. I predict a 10.93 @ 124.5

A prediction made on August 4th 2009 by Blazing Saddles. Talk about having a crystal ball.....

Ron, exactly where did you get those valve covers? I thought they were through Moroso, but I didn't see any that kept the VCT

----I found it, 68388 has the right stuff, but summit has for $700! oops.

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
A prediction made on August 4th 2009 by Blazing Saddles. Talk about having a crystal ball.....

Ron, exactly where did you get those valve covers? I thought they were through Moroso, but I didn't see any that kept the VCT

----I found it, 68388 has the right stuff, but summit has for $700! oops.
call Tommy at JPC they have the best price on them. better than summit!!!
they fit awesome and the gaskets seal perfectly. with the 5.4 in there using stock valve covers i don't think they would come off without jacking the engine and removing the brake booster etc. with these they just come right off.
expensive...yes but absolutely perfect welds and fit like a dream.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a set but it doesn't look like they would clear my paxton coolant tank.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
call Tommy at JPC they have the best price on them. better than summit!!!
they fit awesome and the gaskets seal perfectly. with the 5.4 in there using stock valve covers i don't think they would come off without jacking the engine and removing the brake booster etc. with these they just come right off.
expensive...yes but absolutely perfect welds and fit like a dream.

Actually the stock valve covers on a 5.4 3v will come off with it in the engine bay. It looks tight, but once the fasteners are lose the cover will move around some and you can remove them.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Actually the stock valve covers on a 5.4 3v will come off with it in the engine bay. It looks tight, but once the fasteners are lose the cover will move around some and you can remove them.
good to know thanks.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
where does it mount. these covers actually gave me more clearance.

I didn't see your reply, the reservoir mounts on the passenger strut tower. Here is a pic but it's not the greatest to see.

Attachments

• DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 93

spyder7724

Reaction score
I didn't see your reply, the reservoir mounts on the passenger strut tower. Here is a pic but it's not the greatest to see.
wow thats tight in there. it would probably fit with the moroso valve covers but the stock ones would be really really close. the tank may have toraised up for clearance. thanks for the pic.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually had to weld the old holes on the bracket and drill new ones to make the aluminum tank fit in there and it just barely rubs on the valve cover now. I may end up making a new bracket to raise it up a little more so I can get the moroso covers.

spyder7724

Reaction score
I actually had to weld the old holes on the bracket and drill new ones to make the aluminum tank fit in there and it just barely rubs on the valve cover now. I may end up making a new bracket to raise it up a little more so I can get the moroso covers.
next time i have the covers off i'll put them side by side and take some pics for you. it's a PITA so may be a while before i do it again :)

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate it, I was out in the garage doing a tool inventory for my insurance agent and was looking at it the coolant tank. I need to do something with my bracket soon, I noticed that it's rubbing on the valve cover right now so it I don't do something about it I will have a hole in the tank.

spyder7724

Reaction score
I would appreciate it, I was out in the garage doing a tool inventory for my insurance agent and was looking at it the coolant tank. I need to do something with my bracket soon, I noticed that it's rubbing on the valve cover right now so it I don't do something about it I will have a hole in the tank.
what about converting it to the '07 style cooling and just deleting the tank and using a inline fill neck...you would still need a catch can but then it would be smaller and easier to find a spot for mounting.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good question, I never thought about that. I may check into that and see if I could do that without too much trouble.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
what about converting it to the '07 style cooling and just deleting the tank and using a in-line fill neck...you would still need a catch can but then it would be smaller and easier to find a spot for mounting.
That's kind of where I am headed with mine , but I am keeping the older crossover and teeing them together .

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i wanted to build an aluminum block 5.4 with 3.75 bore and 4.5 stroke crank which would have been around 380cid i think. i priced it out just for the shortblock $10-12k.....i think my stock heavy iron block 5.4 runs just fine. 124mph @ 3680# means it's making 550-560hp at the crank....with full exhaust only 2.5" at that. just think when i uncap the exhaust...

Where do you think i could find a 5.4 aluminum 3v block or short block assembly???

spyder7724

Reaction score
they will fit but there's so much machine work to do on the GT block to make it fit in our cars...i had a chance to buy one still in the crate for $2k but it was going to cost $2500 in machine work to have it setup for a wet sump oiling system and a standard starter location..then add $1100 to do the big bore ...oh and it requires a custom oil pan since the block is wider than regular mod motors....it is the best and strongest block though....other option is SHM they make a 3.7 bore 5.4 block...probably still $4k though....FRPP now has an aluminum 5.4 block (small bore) listed but not sure of the price
once the 2011 GT500's are out for a while you should be able to get one of those aluminum 5.4 blocks (ford is switching to aluminum in 2011 for less weight) they are about 100lbs. lighter and already machined for the wet sump and starter.
this is one of the few times you will ever hear me say forget the weight but really adding 50cid is worth giving up 100lbs.
50 cid can yield 50-75hp or more which will easily overcome the 100lbs. you add.
i'm happy with my decision to go with the 5.4 even if it D\Q's me from running some heads up events....still can't figure that out cause big bore stroker 4.6's are legal along with the new 2011 5.0L 4V with 412hp stock....huh... how bout that...got a feeling no matter what i have it would be illegal cause it's fast.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back