My brembos squeak bad!!!

mbreinin

Reaction score
Mine squeak from time to time. I just chalk it up to having a set of high performance brakes and pads on my car. My STi, which also had Brembos, was a squeaker as well.

Mike

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score
Dont use any gel.
Go to walmart and buy the most abrasive scotch brite pad (blue in the paint department).
Remove the wheel and pads. Run the scotch brite around both side of the rotor and hit the pads lightly. your squeel will go away.
Mine did this since day one. Hard breaking WILL not fix it. It will just come back worse and wear your brakes.

Just about every brembo car in my area does this Evos, Stis, gt500s, all sorts.

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score
I did it over 7k miles ago. I only have 16k. My car did it since I got it then one day I decided I didnt want to listen to it any more. So far its been fine. Maybe a squeak once in a while but not every time you stop like it was...

coyote5o-cnj

forum member
Reaction score
I had Brembos on my Evo X PTE makes a gel that you put on the back of the pads and shims that got rid of it in the X. Also they tend to squeek alot more when they are wearing out or dirty. I switched to Ferodo 2500 pads and they squeeked only a few times with the gel on them

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
if its under warranty :tappy here
and look at post 27 -then take it in.

If not then pull your wheel, take out the two bolts and lightly sand your rotors face on both sides. Then do the same for the pads. Get antisqueel and coat the back of the pad (where it contacts the caliper NOT the rotor) with it. Reinstall and your squeel should be gone.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
So taking the Brembos through a 'bed-in' cycle doesn't get rid of the squeal?

I've been told that to properly bed-in new pads/rotors you perform 10 stops from 35 mph to rolling speed, taking 3-5 seconds to slow from 35 mph and driving for one mile between brake applications. It is critical that you do not stop completely as you will leave a rough spot where the pads stick to the stationary rotor.

The purpose of these 10 stops is to heat up the brake system and transfer pad material to the smooth rotors, giving the pads something to work with/get traction on.

So does this process improve the symptoms for the Brembo owners?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
So taking the Brembos through a 'bed-in' cycle doesn't get rid of the squeal?

I've been told that to properly bed-in new pads/rotors you perform 10 stops from 35 mph to rolling speed, taking 3-5 seconds to slow from 35 mph and driving for one mile between brake applications. It is critical that you do not stop completely as you will leave a rough spot where the pads stick to the stationary rotor.

The purpose of these 10 stops is to heat up the brake system and transfer pad material to the smooth rotors, giving the pads something to work with/get traction on.

So does this process improve the symptoms for the Brembo owners?

I had always read this was supposed to be done at a higher speed, like 60. 10 60-5 brakes of increasing intensity is what I have always done.

Perhaps they are saying lower speeds so people don't break the speed limit doing so??

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
I had always read this was supposed to be done at a higher speed, like 60. 10 60-5 brakes of increasing intensity is what I have always done.

Perhaps they are saying lower speeds so people don't break the speed limit doing so??

The above procedure came with my buddies warranty brake upgrade kit for his Nissan truck...and worked the ticket on it and some other cars needing some brake loving.

I figure the 35mph limit was to control the amount of heat in the brake system. I've glazed the rear brakes in my 525 twice due to putt-putt driving polishing the rotors, then stomping on the brakes at high speed due to idiot small cars pulling out in front of me on the autobahn. Just too much heat too fast for the system which turned the pads to glass in about a second.

If my brakes were squealing, I'd pull them apart, clean and lube all of the contact points with high-temp brake grease, and bed them in.

If the squealing came back, then I'd do a little bending on the shims and other bendy metal bits to add tension to their part of the system, reapply the grease and try again.

Ultimately, the bendy metal parts are probably too thin/thick for silent street use. It would be interesting to see which way Ford went with the replacement shims in the TSB mentioned above...

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
If they are like my Roush brakes, it's happened to me since the first time I took it over 120. They squeak every time now until they get warm. These brakes are made for being a little warmer. So, if I can't stand the sound, I just drive with the brakes pressed for a few seconds or so to warm them up and then I'm good until they cool down again. It might be annoying in local traffic, but you'll be thankful when you're doing 130 and have to slam the brakes because your radar goes off or an animal runs in front of you.

jaguarking11

Reaction score
On my old 07GT I upgraded to the ford racing brembo kit with SS lines.

I did a bed in procedure that goes as follows.

get to 10mph then stomp and slow to barely rolling.
Get to 20mph then stomp and slow to barely rolling.
Get to 30mph then stomp and slow to about 5mph
get to 40mph then stomp and slow to about 5mph
get to 50mph then stomp and slow to about 5mph
get to 50mph then stomp and slow to about 5mph
get to 60mph then stomp and slow to about 5mph
get to 80mph then stomp ans slow to about 5mph then accelerate and keep driving for at least 10minutes at freeway speeds.

Under no circumstance should you stop and wait. If you get stuck at a light put the car in park or leave it in neutral with no brakes applied. You will also notice that around the pads you will get a white smoke like film, this just shows that the bed in compounds are burning off and the pad is ready.

After that for about 35k the car did not once squeak or make any sort of noise. NONE, ZIP, NADA.

On my 2012 I drove it normally to break in the motor, and I noticed that the brakes squeak from time to time. This is a brembo car as well.

I hope this helps, but IMHO its all about how you bed in the brakes, once done properly they should be noiseless and grip like a bear claw when applied. They should also last longer if they are bedded in properly.

If you do take my advice, please do so at your own risk. I did mine in a controlled environment and felt perfectly safe doing it.

coyote5o-cnj

forum member
Reaction score
look into a set of aftermarket pads, like I said earlier. The stock brembos pads squeel something terrible, buy some better pads(Ferado 2500 operating temp 0-something ridiculous) use PTE Plastilube, all squeels go away. Never had an issue with my Evo when I did this. Brembos on that also

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back