My experience with JDM (Timeline)

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Below is a summary of the last 6 months of interaction with JDM. I’ve been doing business with JDM since early 2009 and have experienced some issues with getting tunes, but I can appreciate being busy and I know things take time. I have been pleased with the products provided and the information shared. I however felt the below was excessive so I wanted to share it with the rest of the community. I know it's a bit lengthy, but I wanted to try and be accurate with my info. [/FONT]

6/16/11

Place order for short block, exhaust, oil pump, pan and other miscellaneous item to replace my busted short block. I’m told they can get everything ready to ship ASAP.

6/27/11

Ask for tracking info for above order, but no number available yet.

7/6/11

Ask about my tracking info request. I’m told nothing has shipped yet due to being shorthanded and that it should ship at the beginning of next week.

7/12/11

Ask again if the engine and misc. items have shipped. Response is the short block should be ready Friday and they will let me know. I also ask for a price quote on a clutch, tensioner, injectors and 3.0 pulleys.

7/18/11

Inquire about the short block and respond that I’m ready to order just the clutch and flywheel kit. Response is they are running a little behind and they are waiting on it to come back from the machine shop. The machine shop was moving a little slow last week, but it should be back here with in a week and then on its way right after. ( JDM’s words)

7/25/11

I ask how the short block is coming along. The response is that it hasn’t been seen yet and they will check then let me know shortly.

8/4/11

I ask again for updates and begin to express concern. They respond with they’ve had a bunch of delays with the machine shop and that they are waiting on pistons. They will let me know once JDM speaks with them today.

8/11/11

I ask “Anything this week?” and confirm I want to order the clutch and flywheel kit. I’m told that they are still waiting on pistons and that Manley isn’t responding to the engine builders inquiries.

8/11/11

Clutch ordered. I also mention I’m eager to get the car together for some test n tune this season.

8/22/11

I checked in for a status update. I’m told they are finishing it and it should be leaving in the next 2-3 days.

8/29/11

I ask if it shipped last week with a response of no due to getting prepared for the poor weather conditions. They are going to ask for an update from the engine builder.

9/7/11

I ask for updates and if they braved the weather ok. They made it through the storms and that my short block should be ready by the end of the week. They are still waiting to hear back from the machine shop on a pick up date.

9/12/11

I decided that I can no longer ask for updates without making them aware of my frustrations with the amount of time it has taken to receive the parts ordered and paid for. It’s a long email so I’ll spare you the details. I was firm with the email, but not outright rude. The response is apologetic about the length of time it has taken and that hopefully it will be on its way very, very soon.

9/13/11

I reply to the above response with a brief email stating I felt as if I was getting the run around. They respond with some additional info about the engine builder and how his job racing prostock with the NHRA has been interfering with the engine building.

9/14/11

I inquire about pricing for some additional parts (cams, pulley, injectors, etc.) and about the short block. I’m provided the pricing and that they are to meet with the engine builder tomorrow.

9/19/11

We discuss the process and cost to ordering entire cylinder head assemblies.

9/26/11

I request and update regarding the short block. I’m told they will check first thing in the morning.

9/30/11

I ask what the likely hood of me receiving the short block by the 3rd week in October will be. I mention it’s imperative that I receive the parts by then so I can wrap this project up. I also tell them if that’s not possible to cancel my order and refund my money. I’m told the engine will ship on October 3rd and will be to me 3 to 4 days later. They apologize and let me know they’ve been very backed up. I’m also told I’ll have tracking number by Monday night.

10/10/11

Receive tracking information for FED-EX.

10/12/11

There is more communication about some additional parts and what the lead time will be. I go ahead and order cams, springs, limiters, pulley, injectors and some other misc items.

10/12/11

Engine arrives along with everything else except the above order, the exhaust parts and oil pan.

10/12/11

I ask about the exhaust parts and I’m told they will ship on Monday.

10/12/11 to 10/28/11

Somewhere between the above dates I received the exhaust parts, oil pan, cams and other misc parts.

10/28/11

I order some misc. bolts.

11/10/11

I ask about seat pressure for the spring/cam combo as I’m getting my factory cylinder heads repaired versus replaced.

11/21/11

I send an email letting them know I’m nearly ready to fire the engine and that I’ll need the tune for the changes to the car (They had done previous tunes for me). I also provide a list of engine mods.

11/29/11

I ask about an expected date on receiving the tune. I’m told it will be discussed with the tuner this evening.

11/30/11

I ask again about the tune as the engine is ready to fire and that I would like to begin the break in process this weekend.

12/1/11

I’m told I should have received the tune in my email, but doesn’t show up.

12/2/11

I remind them I haven’t seen anything yet. The response is that the tune is not done yet. They made a mistake and mine isn’t actually ready. I’m told that the tuner gets back Monday and he will have it sent right away. I respond with damn that sucks and tell him to let me know Monday. I also start doing some calling around about a local dyno tune and then fire off another email asking about possible issue with not using the JDM tune with the JDM short block (warranty wise). They response is again apologetic and that it’s in my best interest in using the JDM tune. I’m told I’ll have it on Monday.

12/5/11

I ask if it will be ready today and I’m told I should receive it tonight. I’m traveling for the rest of the week so it doesn’t really matter, but it does arrive that night.

12/10/11

I receive a receipt in the mail for the email tune. I sent an email asking why I was charged for an email tune as I haven’t been charged for the 2 previous tunes they had done for me in the past. It was never discussed that I would be charged for the tune. I assumed it was included with the purchases I had made because the two previous times I ordered parts they provided a tune free of charge.

12/12/11

I receive a reply from JDM about my above email. So that you completely understand what was said I’ve copied the emails below that are exchanged on 12/12/11, but I’ve X’d out the prices.

JDM:

[FONT=&quot]“The changes that were made to the car required a completely new file, we have been able to make adjustments to your old tune in the past but this one requires new and bigger changes which we had to charge for. Im sorry I thought I disclosed that to you when we spoke a while back about the engine. Any changes from here forward that are small or minor changes we will continue to support you on like we did before in the past.”[/FONT]

ME:

If you had disclosed that I would have made plans to pay for it. I did no such thing. I wasn’t even aware of what you charged for that service. Had I known it was $XXX I would have gone locally and had it dyno tuned for $XXX. The very first items I purchased from you in 2009 required a completely new tune as I was using the factory Saleen tune prior to that. There was no charge for that tune or the second adjustment made when parts were changed. All of which was purchased from you. What I perceived as a free tune was one of the few reasons I’ve continued to do business with JDM.

Long story short you didn’t disclose you were going to charge me $XXX for the tune and if you had I would have gone elsewhere.”

JDM:
[FONT=&quot]Corey, with your engine you really do want our tune. We know how to dial these motors in and make power safely with them. The combination you have was based on our recommendations and experience the same way our tune is built. You wanted our tune, you questioned me for quiet some time about it and patiently waited while my father found time to make it. I really appreciate your patience during that time and trust me when I say it will be worth it. If you want to check the car on a dyno and do some datalogging we will gladly go through your information and make any necessary adjustments to the car.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ME:[/FONT]
“While I understand what you’re saying most of my patience was related to the fact that I wasn’t going to be charged for the tune. I know you realize that I’ll have to pay to have it locally dyno’d then dyno’d again after you make the adjustments. This process will end up costing me more than it would have to have it locally tuned and less trips to the dyno. You keep telling me it will be worth it, but it’s been nearly a 6 month process to get to this point. I’m at the end of the process and the car runs, but I’m not happy with the service I’ve received from JDM. I’ll pay the $XXX required to tune my car and follow through with that knowing it won’t be easy, but once this is concluded I won’t be doing business with JDM any longer nor will I recommend you to anyone.
If you would like to speak to me over the phone feel free to call me.
There are current issues with the tune which include what seems to be a high idle and high speed (65 to 75mph) low RPM pinging (2100 to 2400 RPM) (detention). “

JDM:
[FONT=&quot]Corey, Im sorry you feel that way. We are dedicated to making your car right and I can pretty much gaurantee if everything is working on the car as its supposed to and in order then our tune we sent will require minimal change and probably require one dyno visit at the most. It wont be a daunting or time consuming task, this is going to be easy and why we have such success with this combination of parts. Please let me know when you get a chance to check the tune and we will go from there![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I just saw your issues currently with the tune, what kind of fuel are you getting 91 or 93? and as well do you have an aftermarket Throttle body? Also both of these can be caused by a vacuum leak. Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge in the car? Can you datalog the fuel trims with the SCT tuner for us too?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ME:[/FONT]
I’m using 93 octane and stock throttle body. I’ve checked a couple of times for vacuum leaks, but didn’t find anything. I don’t have a boost/vacuum gauge, but I could find one and put it on the car. I can data log the fuel trims tonight and send it to you.”
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]JDM:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I only ask about the boost/vac gauge to read the vacuum at idle and see if its reading too low meaning there is a vac leak somewhere. Ill look for your logs, email them as soon as your done reading them!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]12/13/11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is more communication about the specifics of the data logs and the tune. I’m also told I should see the tune in the next day or two max. I’ll receive it before the weekend I’m told.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12/16/11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I ask for an update. I’m told they will speak to the tuner and see if he can finish it for me, but that he has been trying to finish a big project and hopefully it will be done tonight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12/19/11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I ask again for an updating waiting to know if I’ll receive it today[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12/20/11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The response is that they were in Florida to deliver a car to a customer, but they are back now so he will get the tuner to get the tune done today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12/21/11 (CURRENT DATE)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No tune has been received so I make a phone call to inquire about the tune. I’m told the tuner has been working on a car all day and that the tuner is in a bad mood so they haven’t spoken to them about it yet. They hope the tuner can work on it tonight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had this experience, good on you for keeping a log of what was said.

I had a similiar experience with JDM a while ago when I was in the market for Hot Rod cams but no where near what you are going through.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
He's got balls as big as basketballs if he can keep you waiting for 4 months for the motor and another month for the startup tune and still charge you for it after the fact.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
While i agree that a shop that is as well known as JDM is going to be busy, i believe this is where one should take a look at their business and if demand exceeds capacity, then perhaps it's time to expand.

Given the timeline, i think it wouldn't have been unreasonable to provide Corey (the consumer, who btw was dishing out thousands of dollars) with a tune especially considering how long he was kept waiting. Were there acceptable reasons? Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that a shortblock swap took SIX MONTHS to accomplish because he was awaiting parts. That is unacceptable. Me personally, if i buy a short block, im going with DSS or Livernois.
Why? DSS is a dedicated machine shop whose sole purpose is assembling motors. Livernois is a multi-faceted shop that builds cars, motors and tunes cars. However, they also have a stand alone machine shop with engine builders working solely on that.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
dude that is some true horse shit! i would just cut ties with them and get a local dyno tune or have someone like chris from bbr or jon lund to make a tune for you. no way in hell would i have wait around for that bullshit. If you spend that much money with a company you should be treated like you are the one and only client. total bullshit JDM total bullshit

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
damn, like you said i understand people and shops being busy but that seems like a bit much. Personally i think if you cant produce and ship the parts in a timely manner you shouldnt sell them in the first place..

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
While i agree that a shop that is as well known as JDM is going to be busy, i believe this is where one should take a look at their business and if demand exceeds capacity, then perhaps it's time to expand.

Given the timeline, i think it wouldn't have been unreasonable to provide Corey (the consumer, who btw was dishing out thousands of dollars) with a tune especially considering how long he was kept waiting. Were there acceptable reasons? Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that a shortblock swap took SIX MONTHS to accomplish because he was awaiting parts. That is unacceptable. Me personally, if i buy a short block, im going with DSS or Livernois.
Why? DSS is a dedicated machine shop whose sole purpose is assembling motors. Livernois is a multi-faceted shop that builds cars, motors and tunes cars. However, they also have a stand alone machine shop with engine builders working solely on that.

I agree with you. If I had it to do over again I would get a Livernois shortblock and source the rest of the parts needed from other vendors that had the best prices. Having loyalty to one shop hasn't helped me like I thought it would.

Guys keep in mind this isn't in effort to bash JDM. This is to inform other consumers about my experience.

07stang

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this but it does not surprise me. Been down the same road with the waiting part. I will never buy anything from them.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Sorry to see you go through this. I will keep your experience in mind when (or if) I go through a build...

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
SD probably could have gotten you a shortblock sooner....Sorry just injecting a little humor.After some of the stuff I have read about JDM on this forum alone I wouldnt buy anything from them.Sory for your bad experience but I probably would have canceled my whole order after a month went by.And surely wouldnt have piled on more parts when they couldnt deliver the original order as promised.Sucks man.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
Good god, I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster of this ordeal. Like mentioned before, if you are backed up as a shop or can't produce your product in a timely matter just don't sell it.
What shops don't get is it's better to tell your customers your too busy and that they can either wait or go to another vendor when they are busy. They loose far more business in the long run from stories like this from unhappy customers. There's a shop locally who literally turns people away if they are to busy. I think that is the right thing to do rather then stringing customers along for months.

Brewster

forum member
Reaction score
This story doesn't suprise me in the least. If a business can't fill an order in a timely fashion, then a business shouldn't promise customers something it can't deliver. I understand there are reasonable setbacks...but this is completely unacceptable. When ordered the Roush TVS kit from them it took over two weeks to get it, when I was promised it would take one week. Then the tune took another week and the secretary who answered the phone was rude. I'll never do business with them again.

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Good god, I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster of this ordeal. Like mentioned before, if you are backed up as a shop or can't produce your product in a timely matter just don't sell it.
What shops don't get is it's better to tell your customers your too busy and that they can either wait or go to another vendor when they are busy. They loose far more business in the long run from stories like this from unhappy customers. There's a shop locally who literally turns people away if they are to busy. I think that is the right thing to do rather then stringing customers along for months.

What's sad is I would have been willing to wait 4 or 5 months to get the short block if that would have been the expectation set before I placed the order.

Hopefully Jim III will chime in...

He is more than welcome to. All of the dates and transcripts above are taken directly from email correspondence. I'd like to think they could try and make it right, but I'm afraid at this point there is nothing that can be done to make it right. It's only about informing other consumers at this point.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Been there done that....absolutely sucks and there's no call for it. A lot of the time this happens there using your money on other things. I have been thru this a few times with a couple people. Hope it works out for you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back