My MMR rotating assembly order experience.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
MMR did a stage II porting on a set of 2V PI heads I bought, once I received them they wouldn't go together quite right.

Had to bring them to a local machine shop where they discovered the springs seat heights were way off from spec and varied. Not sure how that's apart of a porting job, but whatever.

I call MMR up and explain (with measurements) that I need this fixed in order to use. They say they don't trust this machine shop and "why didn't I use this machine shop for the job" "Honestly? Because they're too busy"
They weren't happy with that, said good luck.

Had to pay machine shop to do work on heads to make them run-able.

This isn't me even dissing MMR one bit, just an exact accounting of what happened. Heads have since run a lot of miles and made great power.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Uou sir have the wrong group of 3 letters there. It should be MPR in Boynton Bech Florida. Hands down the best Modular guy in the country!

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I figured it would be pretty safe to get a rotating assem. I mean the shop will check everything before putting it in. I wouldn't have bought a built motor based off the shit ive read about them.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I figured it would be pretty safe to get a rotating assem. I mean the shop will check everything before putting it in. I wouldn't have bought a built motor based off the shit ive read about them.

Read the thread I linked. That is why you don't buy a single part from them along with the many testimonials available via google search.

They deserve no one's hard earned money to put it bluntly.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Read the thread I linked. That is why you don't buy a single part from them along with the many testimonials available via google search.

They deserve no one's hard earned money to put it bluntly.

The only thing I am about to buy from them are some ARP bolts I can't find anywhere else (I wonder why :hmmm:)and the balancer install bolt. Any ideas? I was able to track down a lower crank sprocket from MPR but still trying to figure out the balancer and will have to email APR about some of the other bolts and whatnot.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The only thing I am about to buy from them are some ARP bolts I can't find anywhere else (I wonder why :hmmm:)and the balancer install bolt. Any ideas? I was able to track down a lower crank sprocket from MPR but still trying to figure out the balancer and will have to email APR about some of the other bolts and whatnot.

Hopefully they actually have what they say they have and then manage to put the correct part in the box. If nobody else in the country has it then I suspect MMR doesn't have it either. Otherwise you're out the money and end up with some hardware that doesn't fit your application.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully they actually have what they say they have and then manage to put the correct part in the box. If nobody else in the country has it then I suspect MMR doesn't have it either. Otherwise you're out the money and end up with some hardware that doesn't fit your application.

That's my thinking. I'm guessing they know what the bolt sizes are for whatever application it is and just found the same ARP bolts and used those. It's worth an email to ARP to find out IMO and if so, seeing if I can just buy the bolts from them instead of MMR.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's my thinking. I'm guessing they know what the bolt sizes are for whatever application it is and just found the same ARP bolts and used those. It's worth an email to ARP to find out IMO and if so, seeing if I can just buy the bolts from them instead of MMR.

The newest vendor on here is a ARP dealer.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The newest vendor on here is a ARP dealer.

I may hit them up or get with JPC and get some from them. Some new cam cap bolts, phaser and tensioner bolts would be nice. I hate to say it but MMR has some heavy duty secondary chains I may grab.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Sure. If they sell the ARP parts you are looking for then any other ARP dealer an sell you the same parts. All you need are manufacture part numbers. :)

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Sure. If they sell the ARP parts you are looking for then any other ARP dealer an sell you the same parts. All you need are manufacture part numbers. :)

That's the hard part, MMR doesn't show the manufacturer part numbers and when you try and look up the bolts on ARP's website. It doesn't make any mention of those available products.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
That's the hard part, MMR doesn't show the manufacturer part numbers and when you try and look up the bolts on ARP's website. It doesn't make any mention of those available products.

I would give ARP a ring and check with them.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
So the saga continues. Shop finally goes to put the crankshaft in, spins it, doesn't feel right. After some investigating, turns out the crank is slightly bent. So its off to get re-ground. Also it turns out as I'm told that the "brand new" crankshaft MMR is advertising is actually a forged crank from something else thats been turned down to work for the 4.6 engine. (the 5.0 mustangs?, idk) So its a new take off, so I guess thats kinda new in a sense?

Anyway, I've been told that its not uncommon for crankshafts to end up bent due to stress relief over time, but like wtf if they are grinding the crank now the main bearings that came with the MMR kit are going to be no good so I'll need an undersized set right?

Maybe the shop is just going to use a press and give it a little nudge back into tolerance. Going to call and ask.

sigh

Last edited:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
WE TOLD YOU! Actually I didn't, but they did.

Hope it works out OK man. Live and learn.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
So the saga continues. Shop finally goes to put the crankshaft in, spins it, doesn't feel right. After some investigating, turns out the crank is slightly bent. So its off to get re-ground. Also it turns out as I'm told that the "brand new" crankshaft MMR is advertising is actually a forged crank from something else thats been turned down to work for the 4.6 engine. (the 5.0 mustangs?, idk) So its a new take off, so I guess thats kinda new in a sense?

Anyway, I've been told that its not uncommon for crankshafts to end up bent due to stress relief over time, but like wtf if they are grinding the crank now the main bearings that came with the MMR kit are going to be no good so I'll need an undersized set right?

Maybe the shop is just going to use a press and give it a little nudge back into tolerance. Going to call and ask.

sigh

Is it a stroker crank? The old way of doing things was to offset grind the rod journals to get the extra stroke. Hence the reason for using Chevy rods with 2.00" ends.

Back