My new toy

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
Here is my new toy and its just as big as is looks. I may have to look at it a bit longer before I put her in the air. This one is a Extra 330s with a 43cc gas powered engine (it makes 4.2 horsepower and the plane weighs in at 11 pounds full of fuel and oil for the smoke system)
f206d5ed.jpg

0356a93f.jpg

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Looks awesome r/c stuff is fun although I stick to the ground. The air is just a little to much for me. Go have fun with it.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
I have a small video camera that I'm going to try out on one one my smaller planes to see how well it works. I would think the GoPro camera would be too heavy. I've been wanting one though.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
If this guy can run one on that lil plane of his, you should have no trouble at all mate...

If you're going to fly anywhere near water, I'd definately use the full waterproof case if I were you...

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
After watching that last vid, it solidifies the reason I dont dick with electric planes. I feel the gassers/nitros are more predictable and you get better flight times.

Nice plane OP. I have a few myself, but have not spent the coin on a large one like yours. The largest I have is a Four Star 120 with the 81 in wingspan and a saito 150 on it. Other than that I have a Four Star 60, Giles, Mini Extra, Lil' Somethin Extra, 2 Kadet LT 40's, Gee Bee R2 and Fokker Dr1 from Great Planes. Its definitely an addicting hobby. If my radios were not packed away in storage right now (moving) I would be out flying.

Have you tried any of the 2.4 technology yet? I am thinking about breaking down and buying a 6ch futaba. Any input/experience would be helpful.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
That's a beautiful plane! How long did it take to build?

Frank I believe that is an ARF (almost ready to fly) from great planes, so no "construction" , but you still need to install the motor and servos. IMO ARF's are the way to go, I have built too many, and it takes to much time, plus I am horrible at covering the planes, so from this point on I am just buying the prebuilt (ARF) ones LOL.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
I thought the GoPro cameras where much bigger than that. Looks like I'm going to start looking for one.

That's a beautiful plane! How long did it take to build?

It took me about an hour to drive up to the guy that built it, LOL. This plane comes mostly assembled but it normal to have about 25 hours in the finishing of the plane. This one has more like 40 hours as it has a few thing done that are way above and beyond a normal kit. I couldn't pass up the deal on this one, so I had to go get it. I'm building a large trainer for my 8 year old son and I have about 30 hours in it so far and still have to build the wing and then cover the whole plane. The rc cars and trucks are fun but when you put a plane in the air its just a whole new fun. The "real" rc hellicopters are much most complex and harder to fly. This is one that I had and never put in the air. It was just to much money to watch hit the ground and flop around like my smaller one did, LOL.
247d3bd2.jpg

284b3ef5.jpg

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
After watching that last vid, it solidifies the reason I dont dick with electric planes. I feel the gassers/nitros are more predictable and you get better flight times.

Nice plane OP. I have a few myself, but have not spent the coin on a large one like yours. The largest I have is a Four Star 120 with the 81 in wingspan and a saito 150 on it. Other than that I have a Four Star 60, Giles, Mini Extra, Lil' Somethin Extra, 2 Kadet LT 40's, Gee Bee R2 and Fokker Dr1 from Great Planes. Its definitely an addicting hobby. If my radios were not packed away in storage right now (moving) I would be out flying.

Have you tried any of the 2.4 technology yet? I am thinking about breaking down and buying a 6ch futaba. Any input/experience would be helpful.

I always wanted a large plan and wasn't far from buying a 70" pattern plane. I was just looking around on ebay, mainly looking for a Saito 115 to go on it, and found this one for sell cheap. It was all new and had never been in the air. The ad stated that it would not be shipped and then noticed he was local to me, win win! I haven't flown in almost 20 years, I was real big into rc planes when I was 8 to about 18 years old. I always enjoyed flying and wanted to get back into it with my son. This one is going to sit for a while until it get back into the feel of everything again. The guy I bought this one from was using a JR X9303 on all of his planes (mostly jets) so thats what I'm looking for. I had always used Futaba and Airtronics before and had been happy with their products (of course they were not 2.4 back then). The more I look around I think my next one will be the 38% Extra 330s.
Extra330s38.jpg

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
It's almost practical joke sized. It seems just too big to be a remote controlled model, and too small to jump in and pilot it yourself. lol.

You should see the "big" planes then.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
The 38% would be sweet! I would love to try and fly one of those. And just think if you buy one of the GoPro cameras and put it on there while doing aerobatics, man that would be a cool but dizzying video!

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
The 38% would be sweet! I would love to try and fly one of those. And just think if you buy one of the GoPro cameras and put it on there while doing aerobatics, man that would be a cool but dizzying video!

In order to use a GoPro on this one, I will need to make a bracket that mounts where the landing gear mounts. The next problem will be making sure the CG stays correct. Does anybody know how much the GoPro HD weights? I have a small flashlight sized camera that I thought to use, but it doesn't shoot in HD. We are headed out to the field here in just a minute with one of my first trainers. I'll see if I can find the small camera to try it out with that plane.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Wow,awesome! Those Gopros are pretty sweet.We used a lipstick HD cam at Texas motor speedway last year and it worked great.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
Wow,awesome! Those Gopros are pretty sweet.We used a lipstick HD cam at Texas motor speedway last year and it worked great.

Do you have a link to where I could get one of these? Can you send me a video so I can see the video quality as well?

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Regarding the GoPro, the cheapest I've found is via rocketfastparts on eBay. I've bought two from them and their service has been excellent. Here's one of their current listings:

Go Pro HERO GoPro HD 1080 Motorsports Camera: $234.95 inc. shipping

Whatever you decide to get, my advice would be to get a 32MB memory card and also a spare battery.

Here are some video's that I've shot with the GoPro (view in HD)...

Also, search YouTube for something like 'RC Aeroplane GoPro HD' and you'll get a good amount of hits that you can then check out with it being used in exactly the type of environment that you'll be using it in.

I can't help you out too much with the lipstick type camera, but both Contour and Drift Innovations are reputable brands. Again, a simple YouTube search should throw up examples of both in use.

However, this picture and video should tell you little something...

5577933492_5f741c39f6.jpg

Notice the GoPro on the far right hand side of the front wing, which was used to film this very recently...

If it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for me! lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back