My rant - Ford Sync - Epic Fail

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
So I've posted before, along with others about the constant "Indexing" message I get when plugging in my iPod. I've dealt with this on and off over the course of the last 5 months of owning my car. So I obviously wanted to try Bluetooth Audio to see if I would have any luck with that method, only to discover I cannot get an iPhone or a Droid to pair up with the audio function, they only pair up as phones.

So I called Ford Tech Support for Sync - very nice representative, more than cordial, told me to try a master reset or unhooking the battery for 20 seconds to do a hard reset - which didn't work. My next option is taking it to a dealer, of which where I'm now out of warranty. Ok, fine, I get all of that. She suggested an application I can run with iTunes to optimize my MP3 files, I guess they clean tags up or something to keep "indexing" from occurring on the screen. What's irritating about this, I'm uber OCD about my MP3 tags, so what the hell else are they going to optimize to make them read better on the sync system? Is it that fucking hard to play files from a plugging in player that already has all of those files organized, catalogued and indexed????

Here's my bitch. Its fucking 2013, damn near 2014. After owning a 2012 Accord (that had a 12k lower sticker price than my 2012 mind you) the audio system is flawless, works perfectly, with ease. Other cars I've rode in are fantastic in terms of iPod and iPhone integration. So riddle me this... Ford, if they had made their own version of the software, I'd almost expect it to suck. Given this thing is branded with Microsoft all over it, I really expect better than what these Sync systems provide.

Anyone else feel the same way? I love my Mustang regardless of just the radio, but this is an ever more signal of how shitty American car manufacturers treat quality compared to overseas brands. Still, in 2013, the same old bullshit exists that's been going on for 40 years, they can't keep up with overseas quality.

So now, I'm stuck with an 1/8" jack to plug into the phone and go back to old school "thumbing" it to play music. The Alpine I just installed in my 94 Mustang can even manage it better than that.

I'm going to gut this whole fucking system and start from scratch, per normal since Ford once again can't get something right.

Rant over, sorry I had to share. Feel free to flame, I expect it. Anyone else pissed off?

Mike

Last edited:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Hmmmm...no real complaints here. I have sync in my Mustang and MyFordTouch in my ST. Both use the USB fine. I have been having a recent issue in the Mustang with the USB where I have to unplug it to get it to start again. However it may be caused by my old as dirt POS iPhone 3GS I use as an ipod and not the car.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I have a base GT. I saved four grand and don't have to deal with a bunch of useless shit that I knew wouldn't work anyway.

Sorry for your troubles...

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a warranty issue, more so a training or teaching you how to use it when you take it in. It's amazing how difficult they can make such an easy process but it should work. Ford definitely knows that 89% of people have a droid or iPhone so they wouldn't make a system that didn't work.

Schedule a time with the service dept or if your dealership has a sync tech than schedule a time to see him/her.

Also if you get stuck using the 1/8 jack look into the Bluetooth system from best but that hooks into your cigarette lighter input and taps into a radio station. Easy setup and you don't have to worry about a cord.

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have nav, so I didn't spend an extra $4000. :)

Here's the thing, she told me on the phone its a known problem and to "Try to reset" which in other computer terms "just reboot the machine or give it the three finger salute." She even admitted on the phone that they have had many complaints about Sync, and that the Honda's and Toyotas of the world have it figured out better than they do. I at least give Ford credit for the good customer service rep, but in reality, she couldn't do anything to fix the problem.

Yea, I can bring it in, with the risk that I'll have to pay for them to do a computer software reimage of the sync system. I'm not a dunce, I know how to pair up Bluetooth devices, I'm a software developer during the day.

Again - I love my Mustang, always will love the mechanics of them, I just can't understand how American car companies can get something so simple, wrong, when there are 50 tablet makers out there that have figured out Bluetooth and a myriad of other user experience options over what equates to a 2001 sound system.

In a way, I don't blame Ford for this but rather Microsoft. Maybe they should have made a deal with Google or Apple.

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I also had the indexing issue. So much of a damn pain that it just isn't worth it. I have resorted to using a jump drive instead of my iPod. I still get an error everytime I add new music. It goes through every song, and says bad media. Once it cycles through that, it is fine, and every song on the drive plays. I don't get it, but once I figured out the quirks, it seems to be OK.

I paired my Galaxy S4 and am able to stream music via Bluetooth. I felt like that was an accomplishment. The SYNC setup is bulky and non intuitive. My dad has a leased 2013 Honda Accord, and honestly, the media setup on his base model is more advanced than the SYNC. I had to shake my head when it took me less than 30 seconds to pair his phone, having never used his setup before.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 SYNC pairs through BT with my old iPhone I had and my Droid (S4) with no issues at all.

I do have an issue with the USB connected to my Droid, it just keeps setting up the phone for USB then stops and does this over and over. No biggie, as I prefer BT anyway.

There is a program on SYNC's site to optmize the MP3 tags. I have never used it, so I can not give any feedback on it.

On your phones, iPhone or Droid, does the SYNC show up in BT? My Droid, when I set it up, I had to check a box to make it visible or something. Then SYNC showed up and I could connect to it.

If you make it that far, then SYNC will give you a code to put in your phone to make the pair.

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
I'm able to pair up both phones (actually three that I tried) effortlessly for phone functions. When I try to pair using Bluetooth audio is where it fails, it can't seem to recognize the audio. The phone sees it, because I get a Sync option on the player on the iphone, the sync unit just won't "handle it".

With the indexing, the program you download from Ford is supposed to fix whatever tagging issues it has problems with, but I literally have 60 gig of music on a classic, and about 14 gig on the iPhone. Having to go back through and have that plugin with iTunes optimize my MP3's would be a major pain in the ass.

On a related note, I went up today and looked at several Pioneer aftermarket units. Looks like between a new headunit, the right wires to retain other sync functions, and a dash kit is going to run me around $800. Crazy, but I'm so pissed off at this current system right now that I'm highly considering it (plus I'd get a backup camera).

Just ridiculous (as you described above) that a base Honda Accord can get this right, while Ford still struggles with crappy electronics (even though the drive train and the rest of the car totally rocks). Me and the wife have a 2012 Accord, and I've seen the 2013 implementation on the dash model, and its plain amazing. Cmon Ford, get it fucking right in 2015!!

My 2012 SYNC pairs through BT with my old iPhone I had and my Droid (S4) with no issues at all.

I do have an issue with the USB connected to my Droid, it just keeps setting up the phone for USB then stops and does this over and over. No biggie, as I prefer BT anyway.

There is a program on SYNC's site to optmize the MP3 tags. I have never used it, so I can not give any feedback on it.

On your phones, iPhone or Droid, does the SYNC show up in BT? My Droid, when I set it up, I had to check a box to make it visible or something. Then SYNC showed up and I could connect to it.

If you make it that far, then SYNC will give you a code to put in your phone to make the pair.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like it maybe an issue with Apple products. I have android phones and tablets that we use in my wife's explorer and never had an issue. I know that they are MP3s but I think the Apple stuff does crazy things to the format if it is being streamed or shared.

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
Well good news on the Bluetooth audio front, I can at least get audio function now through both my Droid and an iPhone. Still having issues as it will disconnect for no reason, but I'm at least one step further.

It took disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, and everything seems connected now. Seems odd a master reset didn't do that same operation.

At least one step further into this now.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I am wondering how many SYNC users gave up on their iPod and are using a jump drive like I am. I like the ability to go to a friends house and easily put music on there, vs. an iPod and iTunes, which I despise now with a passion.

wolfe - glad to see that you are gaining ground on this. I understand the frustration and wanting to rip the system out and start fresh. The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times.

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
You know if it didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd do it in a heart beat. When I think just to keep the steering wheel controls, vehicle report and a few other minimal features of sync, and have the benefits of a better head unit, it just seems like more crap that could go wrong than just stickin with a half-assed stock implementation. Plus, at $1000+ to do it right, its money I'd rather spend on engine and other mods.

I've gone this route on my 94', full head unit, subs, etc, and it seems like every 3 years something goes wrong with an aftermarket setup. Sounds 100% better than a 1994 stock system, but still the maintenance is a bitch.

I may try the USB stick idea, just keep a greatest hits in the car at all times on rotation and then tag it using Ford's little program or whatever to optimize the files. I like your idea.

I am wondering how many SYNC users gave up on their iPod and are using a jump drive like I am. I like the ability to go to a friends house and easily put music on there, vs. an iPod and iTunes, which I despise now with a passion.

wolfe - glad to see that you are gaining ground on this. I understand the frustration and wanting to rip the system out and start fresh. The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
I have never tried USB because sync bluetooth is much easier and more convenient IMO. Bluetooth sync audio stream has worked with my iPhone and now my note 2. After a while I did have an issue with iPhone playing oddly, but that was only for a little bit. I love it, as soon as I get in my car, I don't touch anything and it automatically starts playing music on my phone. So easy.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't SYNC on support so many songs?

I know I was looking to add a hard drive to mine and SYNC will only read so many songs.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I have about 1200 songs on an older iPod Touch. It stays connected in the car 24/7 unless I'm adding songs to it. I NEVER get the indexing issue except if I take it in and out of the car or drive in the car without it for awhile and then put it back in there.

After driving a Honda before this Mustang, yeah, SYNC isn't the best implementation out there. But my phone always pairs up, my music always cues up, so I have no complaints.

Remember, if the Ford logo doesn't show up on the screen of your iPod when it powers up, it isn't integrating well with the SYNC system. And newer iPods seem to have the most issues. Which is why I just threw that older iPod in there and leave it alone. I've even done the USB update to the firmware for SYNC and still, the older iPod works the best, without fail.

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I have an older iPod Nano in mine, and that gave me the indexing issue. I plugged it in yesterday just to see how it would be, and it was fine. It seems to be so hit or miss that you never know if it will work or not.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I have a thumbdrive. Id like to put mp3s on it plug it in and have it just work.

Does it need to be formatted fat32 or is ntfs ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

jumbowolfe

forum member
Reaction score
My first indexing issue was with my Classic, which is where the bulk of my library is. I have an iPhone 4 that I don't use as a phone (long story as to why) and it has a smaller collection on it. Since I try to keep an iPod in my 94GT and one in the 2012, I try to keeep one "greatest hits" iPhone and the Classic with the total package. That way if I want deep tracks, I can switch them out. Makes it easier when getting in the car and just firing up some music.

I've had index issues on both. I guess from now on I'll just go with Bluetooth in the 2012 and keep the Classic in the 94.

Eventually, I'm going to gut the 2012 and go with something other than sync, but thats way farther down the road when its not a DD.

I have about 1200 songs on an older iPod Touch. It stays connected in the car 24/7 unless I'm adding songs to it. I NEVER get the indexing issue except if I take it in and out of the car or drive in the car without it for awhile and then put it back in there.

After driving a Honda before this Mustang, yeah, SYNC isn't the best implementation out there. But my phone always pairs up, my music always cues up, so I have no complaints.

Remember, if the Ford logo doesn't show up on the screen of your iPod when it powers up, it isn't integrating well with the SYNC system. And newer iPods seem to have the most issues. Which is why I just threw that older iPod in there and leave it alone. I've even done the USB update to the firmware for SYNC and still, the older iPod works the best, without fail.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back