My trans mount solution..

07gtcs

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry pics are limited, I didnt even think to grab the camera as I was doing this. So as some of you might remember from a previous thread I was using a hd ratchet strap to hold the tail of my trans down tighter for smoother shifting. While the cars down for a week or so this is one of the things that I wanted to take care of.

When I pulled the mount out, it actually looked like there was nothing wrong with it. All the rubber was there and nothing was separating. By design its just soft and not solid at all.

Figuring I really dont have anything to lose I decided to fill the cavity's with 3M's Window Weld. I let it cure for 24hrs and this thing is solid.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Ha great idea! I pulled that steel tee plug thing and made a urethane insert with a new aluminum piece replacing the steel piece but I didn't think of just filling it with liquid rubber.

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
If that window weld is the stuff I'm thinking of (windshield adhesive?), it is basically a somewhat flexible form of urethane structural adhesive. Tough as heck, great adhesion yet stays somewhat flexy. Takes a few days to fully cure in thick sections, but no problem there.

If anyone questions adhesion, I suppose ya' could use pinchweld primer before hand? ;-)

Curious to know how it works out.. I like this kind of fix, too.

Hope you'll let us know if you think it makes any extra nvh or not. Might be a better all around fix than an aftermarket mount??

Last edited:

07gtcs

forum member
Reaction score
When I first had issues with the shifting I was told that they dont make an aftermarket trans mount so I started looking for another solution.

I probably wont have the car up for close to a week but I dont thing I will notice much nvh because I already had the bullet style engine mounts that created plenty. I suspect it will get a little worse (not that I mind) with the new k member.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool idea! I deisgned a billet and poly trans mount to replace ours and was looking for a company to build them and the prototype, but I havent been able to get a quote in the right price range I want to make it worthwhile.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Done this trick COUNTLESS times to 240sx OEM engine mounts to make them stiffer but not quite solid. Shit is awesome.

07gtcs

forum member
Reaction score
Nice work! Can you post a pic of the product? Not sure if we can get it up here in the Great white North. :)

Is this the stuff? http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...0000_nid=GS51JKDTTHgsQH8HT14PGTgl1ZRC9RGN5Fbl

Yup thats it! I found it at a local Napa. Just dont do what I did and get a cheap caulking gun at Harbor Freight. I pulled the trigger and it didn't move, the back part you squeeze against pulled up to the trigger...

I just said the hell with it and ordered a new set of struts and GT500 uppers while I have the whole front apart I might as well make sure its a long time before I'm back under there. I cant wait to see how she ride's with everything.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing back the dead

Has anyone else tried this? Seems like it should work.

DRock

Reaction score
Alot of the s10 guys do this for their motor mounts. When/if i pull mine i willl do it.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did mine. I can post pics if needed. Looks similar to above. Its been a day and half and it is still not fully cured. The outside has skinned over pretty thick but the middle is still soft. Its going to take a while for it to cure all the way through.

It took half a tube to fill the cavity. The stuffy is messy and it stains your hands black. But it looks like it will work perfectly. I would not hesitate to do it again. Just be sure you have time to let it cure all the way through.

Maybe it could be done in stages like fill it half way wait for a day or two and then fill it full. But I wanted to be sure it was one solid piece so I did it all at once. The car will be down for a while so I have time to let it cure solid.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Did mine long time ago, never knew about this thread but knew about the window weld stuff from my honda days. Can't say I ever noticed any real difference on my tr6060

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I doubt I'll see any big difference either but it didn't make sense to have good motor mounts and then a wet noodle for a trans mt.

Back