NastyStang's Computer Build!

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I've decided to build a new system as my other thread indicated. My current system is a Dell XPS with a Q6600, Dell MB of course, EVGA GTX460 GPU, 8 gb of Kingston RAM, a 500gb 7200 RPM primary hard drive, a 600gb 7200 secondary hard drive. Currently running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. My fiance is getting this system and she's putting in for the new system. I'll be possibly looking to sell the graphics card because there is absolutely no reason why she needs that.

I originally ordered this but I'll be returning it to place a new order, see below this order for the final plan.

Original:

1. Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001RD Red White Finish w/Red Trim

• $140

2.CPU/MB: AMD Phenom II X6 & ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX

• $370

3. GPU: Radeon HD 6950 XFX

• $240

4. RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB

• $90

5. Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 Modular

• $150

6. Hard Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

• $110

7. Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner with Light Scribe

• $80

8. CORSAIR H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

• $70

9. COOLER MASTER 200mm Case Fan Red LED

• $20

10. XIGMATEK Crystal Series 140mm Case Fan Red LED

• $13

11. (2) XIGMATEK Crystal Series 120mm Case Fan Red LED

• $20

Extras

1. Rosewill 45 Piece Tool Kit

• $20

Warranty: CPU & Motherboard

• $60

Updated:

Alright I'm set for the most part, not sure if I'm going to keep the Corsair H60 Water Cooler since the Intel CPUs run cooler. So here's the new build list.

1. Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001RD Red White Finish w/Red Trim

• $140

2. ASUS P8P67 DELUXE

• $219

3. Intel i7 2600K

• $315

4. XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 (Updated) 1gb 256 Bit

• $250

5. Corsair 750w Modular Power Supply

• $170

6. (2) Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache

• $130

7. RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB Low Profile to clear Cooler Master 212+

• $125

8. Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner with Light Scribe

• $80

9. COOLER MASTER 200mm Case Fan Red LED

• $20

10. XIGMATEK Crystal Series 140mm Case Fan Red LED

• $13

11. (2) XIGMATEK Crystal Series 120mm Case Fan Red LED

• $20

12. Cooler Master Hyper 212+

• $30

Extras

1. Rosewill 45 Piece Tool Kit

• $20

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone refused a shipment from UPS before? Newegg told me to just refuse the order and place a new order. I've never done it before.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes you can refuse and they will send it back to the shipper. Just watch your CC statement to make sure they credit your CC. BTW nice parts list, you will really like the cooler master fans. Have you looked at the tornado case fans?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone refused a shipment from UPS before? Newegg told me to just refuse the order and place a new order. I've never done it before.

Yes you can refuse and they will send it back to the shipper. Just watch your CC statement to make sure they credit your CC...

What Jewc said. Are they going to whack you with the re-stocking fee? Nice sounding build. :beer:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Glad to see you went with Intel. That Corsair 750W PSU is more than enough power for your build. You could easily get away with a 600W unit. But it's nice to have the ability to upgrade with it later on. Your parts look, generally, good. But the EVGA P67 motherboards have had less issues than the Asus boards.

I prefer these fans because they're VERY quiet. I'd also look at getting a good fan controller. The fancier you go, usually, the more issues you have with them. I like a simple 4-6 fan controller. Nothing is worse than having all that fan noise while your computer is idle or while you're playing a game.

Just my .02 from roughly 15 years of building computers and years as a moderator on MaximumPC forums.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
What Jewc said. Are they going to whack you with the re-stocking fee? Nice sounding build. :beer:

Nope. They said if you refuse delivery no restocking fee applies. I made sure I printed the chat and took a screen shot of the chat.

After I made this thread I had to drop off a package at UPS for my fiance and I asked them about this. They said that it's no problem but if you drop it off at the UPS store they can't provide you with a receipt or any proof. However if you refuse it when the driver drops it off that they will give you a receipt of the refusal.

Either way this is probably going to add another two weeks to my build. Oh well the new build is much nicer so I think it's worth it.

Glad to see you went with Intel. That Corsair 750W PSU is more than enough power for your build. You could easily get away with a 600W unit. But it's nice to have the ability to upgrade with it later on. Your parts look, generally, good. But the EVGA P67 motherboards have had less issues than the Asus boards.

I prefer these fans because they're VERY quiet. I'd also look at getting a good fan controller. The fancier you go, usually, the more issues you have with them. I like a simple 4-6 fan controller. Nothing is worse than having all that fan noise while your computer is idle or while you're playing a game.

Just my .02 from roughly 15 years of building computers and years as a moderator on MaximumPC forums.

Yeah, the Sandy Bridge processors in the Vantage tests really shined which is what swayed my decision. The ASUS boards have come a long way and are really nice IMO. I've got a bunch of friends running them without any issues. The case comes with a switch fan controller but of course no variable speed. All of the fans that I chose are pretty quiet though. I was looking at Noctua CPU coolers but their size and cost is what swayed me. I'm already going over budget so maybe later I'll upgrade once I have everything in front of me and I know how much room I have.

Last edited:

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Subscribing, I have always wanted to build my own but never done much research.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
ASUS motherboards are gods.

Your build looks good except i would have gone with a true 64 bit processor so you can dual boot OSX and windows.

Go with watercooling, ive overclocked and old intel hardcore with a water system and never saw temps above 62'C

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The Intel i7 2600K is plenty of a processor. Look at these Vantage scores.. Ridiculous. The i5 2500K is a really good buy as well. Nearly as good as the i7 2600K and $100 cheaper.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-sandy-bridge-performance-review/4/

I might go with a nicer air cooler or do a custom water cooler down the road. I want to get the system running and than evaluate the space that I have to work with, etc.

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
2 most important things things you don't cheap out on: motherboard and cooling...

Like I said I'm not going to be running it so hard to require water cooling. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is going to be more than adequate. I'm not sure if I'll ever turn it up enough to need water cooling. I'll re-evaluate once we get there. :beerdrink:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Actually, the most important part of any computer build is a quality power supply.

The second most important part is supplying clean power through the use of a quality UPS device.

Then mobo, memory and cooling.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
No way. I'm running an Intel 3.5" floppy drive that is water cooled with the Swiftech Apogee XT water block, going to be sick. LOL :D Alright UPS hurry up! I need to go to sleep![FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
no seriously lol it really does make a difference between aluminum and copper. Get an all copper heatsink if youre not going watercooled. All copper, With a highspeed fan, and a duct tube so the heatsink fan gets clean cold air from the outside. THIS is very important!! it kills efficiency for that CPU fan to be getting hot air from inside the box. EXACTLY like our cars, but even more noticeable!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back