NastyStang's Computer Build!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Just ran 4.7ghz in Prime95 using all of those settings and lasted 3 minutes before freezing. I got a 124 error upon reboot.

Seer that seems like an awfully low voltage to achieve 5.0ghz.
i was wrong. 1.44V

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I'm just thinking I've got one of the CPUs that just won't overclock more than 4.5ghz. Either that or the motherboard is bad. The memory all tested fine booting from MemTest.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just thinking I've got one of the CPUs that just won't overclock more than 4.5ghz. Either that or the motherboard is bad. The memory all tested fine booting from MemTest.

I'm running an Asus Maximus IV Extreme. The Power Management on that board vs. yours is a bit different.

A lot of guys have issues getting over 4.5 on the base boards unless they goto say a Revolution WS or a Maximus. The Sabretooth is another good Oc'ing board.

Have your tried disabling Hyperthreading? I'm assuming this is more for gaming, and HT is practically useless for that application. Hence why a lot of guys just get the i5 2500k vs the i7 2600k. The extra cache and HT aren't big benefits for gaming.

My general specs are:

i7 2600k @ 5.0 ghz
Asus Maximus IV Extreme motherboard
16gigs Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
2x 3gb Nvidia GTX 580s in SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Custo watercooling, with a 360 radiator and a 480 radiator (dual loops)
Corsair 800D case

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Well we have the same CPU and RAM. I was thinking about that board and still might consider getting it. I went with the Deluxe hoping it would help me out. Most people say there is a difference in OCing terms between it and the Pro, etc. Still possible that the CPU just isn't going to do it. I do want to pick up a SSD. Don't get me wrong either. 4.4ghz is pretty damn fast in my set-up.

By the way Seer, are you running a P67 or a Z68 board?

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Z68. Its an extreme-z. Ssd is a very wise investment. Run multiple in a raid 0 and watch the load times drop significantly. I'm running three ssd in a raid 0 for my primary drive and common apps. I use my nas/ home server for storage.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Z68. Mine is the extreme z. Buy ssd, buy a few ssd and put them in raid 0. Amazing load times. I run four in that config. Everything backs up to my nas.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Ordered a Razer Mamba 2012 and a Black Widow Ultimate Stealth. I know overpriced but I don't really give a shit.

So I've got a Razer Mamba, Logitech G11, and a Cyborg MW2 Edition keyboard (BNIB) for sale. :)

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Ordered a few things tonight.. I've got an Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD, bracket, NZXT 200mm fan, 6" 3 pin fan extension, (2) 3.5" to 5.25" adapters, and Office 2010 from a buddy. I think this should do it for some time, might put some windows in it or something not sure.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Ordered a Razer Mamba 2012 and a Black Widow Ultimate Stealth. I know overpriced but I don't really give a shit.

So I've got a Razer Mamba, Logitech G11, and a Cyborg MW2 Edition keyboard (BNIB) for sale. :)
All my mice are Razors ... high poll rates and accuracy are paramount for my FPS games. After trying many keyboards the Deck keyboard has the best key feel for me.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Mineos Naos 5000 most accurate mouse I've ever seen.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Mineos Naos 5000 most accurate mouse I've ever seen.
how does that compare to the Razer mice?
I've owned Razer Diamondback, Copperhead, Lachesis and the Tron Mouse/Pad.
Currently using the Lachesis but I'm open to change if it's a better mouse.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

DPI is typically equal to or greater. Where the Mineos really shines is it's overall quality and the optics it uses for the laser. It's typically a lot more accurate. I've used a Razer Naga before... similar DPI but just could not compare to the Mineos. Mineos also IMO has a better form factor.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

Seer doesn't like Razer, don't let him fool you.

I really like my Razer simply because it fits my hand perfect, the four buttons on the side, the ability to change sensitivity on the fly, etc. Let's face it, no real reason to need 6400 DPI. When I'm playing FPS games I'm only using 1200 DPI and sometimes 800 DPI in a sniper class.

PS: I'm selling my other Mamba. ;) LOL

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Seer doesn't like Razer, don't let him fool you.

I really like my Razer simply because it fits my hand perfect, the four buttons on the side, the ability to change sensitivity on the fly, etc. Let's face it, no real reason to need 6400 DPI. When I'm playing FPS games I'm only using 1200 DPI and sometimes 800 DPI in a sniper class.

PS: I'm selling my other Mamba. ;) LOL

It's not that I don't like Razer. I'm just a snob when it comes to pc hardware :D.

Razer has some good stuff out there, they also have some garbage out there too. Mineos Naos has gotten a lot of great reviews though.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Yum!

c5ba6ff0.jpg

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
buy a second one... raid 0... watch the amazingness of the speed increase.

Hell buy 5 more and raid 0 them all :D

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Just added a few new parts, ended up having to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. My copy told me it was unauthorized.. So I ended up having to buy a new copy so I ended up getting Windows Ultimate.

MOBO: ASUS Maximus Formula V Z77
Video Card: MSi 660 Ti Power Edition

I still need to add my other two sticks of ram to make 16gb. However I wanted to run a stress test with only 8gb @ 4.4ghz. Also need to try out the Indigo Xtreme, running AS5 right now.

PCcopy_zpsdeb84d2b.jpg

PCAnglecopy_zpsf6cb133c.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back