Need help fail safe cant drive the car

Maka

Reaction score
Purchased a 05 GT off of a guy. Ran just fine until I got it home a hour later. Its running REALLY rich, wide band is reading 11.7 at idle and 10 and pegging at a light cruise.
42lb injectors, comp cam stage 3, long tube headers, WMS intake, borla mufflers, stock throttle body (already changed it out entirely to another working one) one step colder spark plugs.

Whats happening is that it idles horribly, almost wants to stall out and sometimes does. When I take off in first gear it goes into fail safe mode and completely shuts down. It will not restart unless I pull the battery for a few seconds. It was previously tuned by HPTuners so I cannot change anything. Im getting codes p0135 , p0446, p061b, p2106
once in a while itll throw p0480 for a fan control which makes no sence. Any ideas? Im going to start trouble shooting by installing factory injectors, and replacing the front 02 sensors.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The factory injectors will be all wrong for whatever tune is in the car. I would contact LITO (tuner vendor) on here. He will be your best bet to fix remotely.

Maka

Reaction score
What's the business name? I can't seem to find it. And thank you

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you checked all the intake and vacuum lines?

Check the MAF to see if it's dirty, check the battery and alternator for proper voltage.

Maka

Reaction score
Have you checked all the intake and vacuum lines?

Check the MAF to see if it's dirty, check the battery and alternator for proper voltage.

Brand new battery voltage hangs around 13 or so while idling. Maf was cleaned, intake was taken apart when I cleaned the throttle body and vacuum lines seem to be good.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Brand new battery voltage hangs around 13 or so while idling. Maf was cleaned, intake was taken apart when I cleaned the throttle body and vacuum lines seem to be good.

Check to make sure the intake was tightened back up after the MAF clean if you haven't already. I've forgot that before when cleaning the MAF.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've seen the 016b and 2106 codes come up when the air box or filter is not seated correctly on crown Vic's. The other two codes are heater circuit for the O2 and a bad purge valve. Not sure if all of these things would come up at the same time. Maybe check your wiring harness. Sometimes a bad ground or pinched wire can cause multiple seemingly unrelated codes to come up.

Maka

Reaction score
Maf is clean and I've had the intake apart 2-3 times its a wms intake so only 2 things really to clamp down. In still waiting on my guy to install the new upstream o2s

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
What is the AF at idle when the car is cold (open loop)? The base fuel table commands 1 lambda (14.7 AF) in open loop at idle. When in closed the loop the fuel table (and associated AF targets) are controlled based on feedback from the O2 sensors.

I can look at your tune in the HP software if you can post it or email it to me.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If the first dtc is accurate, you may have a power issue, such as a burnt wire and blown fuse.
Since it is giving a o2 heater circuit malfunction, a non-functional sensor would cause all kinds of problems; and if the voltage is missing due to a blown fuse, the other errors (evap and fan) could occur, too.

The other 2 dtc's are throttle body or related to the other issues.

First of all, DO NOT STICK STOCK INJECTORS in there to try to solve your issue; that is not what is wrong. If the car was running fine for that long (an hour), then the tune and setup is probably ok in general, and there is some electrical issue now such as a blown fuse.

And keep the same t/b as was in there (if it was a larger t/b and you put a stock one in, that will cause issues once you find/fix the real problem).

And talk to the guy you bought it from, find out of there is a history of such issues..maybe that's why he sold it.

Maka

Reaction score
Well my cousin is getting his 2014 5.0 tuned for nitrous so he took my sctx4 I just bought and now I will have to wait in order to pull my tune to have someone look at it. I installed 2 new upstream O2s, brand new spark plugs, and stock 24 pound injectors. The other ones that were in the car were 35 pound injectors. I wanted to narrow it down to make sure that an injector wasn't getting stuck opened. Now air/fuel is near perfect. But once I start accelerating it hits around 2000 and starts stumbling and goes into fail safe mode but air / fuel ratio doesn't change. I'm now getting codes p0446, p061b, p2016. It still surges with idling. I'm going to be getting it tuned within the next week or 2 and go from there.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
does the X4 allow it to be used on more than one car?

all other SCTs get locked to a single VIN

Maka

Reaction score
Yes it's vin locked. Although I unarrried it and checked it out

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so you and your brother can never have custom tunes in each car at the same time

Maka

Reaction score
It's my cousin. I just used it to test to see if my car would run better if I tuned it using the programmer. I unmarried it from my car when I was done so he could use it. He ordered me a new one because he needed his car for this weekend. My new sct should be in any day now.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well my cousin is getting his 2014 5.0 tuned for nitrous so he took my sctx4 I just bought and now I will have to wait in order to pull my tune to have someone look at it. I installed 2 new upstream O2s, brand new spark plugs, and stock 24 pound injectors. The other ones that were in the car were 35 pound injectors. I wanted to narrow it down to make sure that an injector wasn't getting stuck opened. Now air/fuel is near perfect. But once I start accelerating it hits around 2000 and starts stumbling and goes into fail safe mode but air / fuel ratio doesn't change. I'm now getting codes p0446, p061b, p2016. It still surges with idling. I'm going to be getting it tuned within the next week or 2 and go from there.

Wait, you put the #24 injectors in and the car is tuned for #35's? It won't run very good, well I guess it didn't run very good anyways, but that is the wrong way to trouble shoot it. I think it's something electrical. Gosh I can't remember where I just read about similar seemingly unrelated codes and it all going through one circuit and had a bad ground or a pinched harness.

Maka

Reaction score
I've googled and searched for the past 2 weeks now. Seems like no one goes back to their thread to update it after they fix the issues. I'm getting it retuned next week for the stock injectors. Once I get it tuned and tune out the evap(to rule out that's what's causing it) then I'm going to rip apart wiring harnesses and check grounds. is there any particular harness that has issues. The previous owner said that it slowly gotten worse and used to drive fine on and off

Back