need help gear shifting 1st and reverse problems

tcook

Reaction score
Have a 07 gt and just put a new clutch wheel,tob,pilot bearing, pressure plate in. car shifted perfectly for 850 miles with new equipment installed. now i have problems shifting into 1st gear and reverse. after the car sits for a while problem goes away. had the line bleed as well. please help. thanks

Last edited:

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
I just went through the exact same thing right after a new clutch install. Thought the mechanic hadn't done the install properly so I took it to a very reputable trans rebuild shop. Ended up being a synchronizer ring on 1st gear. I didn't have an issue with reverse. That being said, I was also told that if the clutch isn't fully releasing then it would show the same symptoms.

tcook

Reaction score
thanks. appreciate the info. its werid because if i pump the clutch then the problem goes away and then creeps back. i'm gonna try to bleed it myself. will let you know how i turn out.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track with bleeding the system

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
I seriously overheated an Exedy Mach 600 clutch a couple years ago and had the same issue. It wouldn't go into 1st or reverse. The clutch disc warped and didn't 100% disengage.

So you're on the right track with the clutch clearance thought.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Can't hurt, don't bother flushing it though just drain and replace with Penzoil Synchromesh.

85GT 7.0

Reaction score
transmission

They didn't change the fluid when they had the transmission out? Like others said probably air in the system

tcook

Reaction score
I was thinking trans flush also what about the clutch master cylinder

I bought a new clutch master cylinder. Also if i pump the clutch i can get it in 1st and pump the clutch i can get it in reverse. So im thinking clutch master cylinder since the brakes hold pressure perfectly it must not be the brake master cylinder. guys any thoughts?

hg2683 i have a new clutch wheel so it better not be warped. hoping the master clutch is the answer

Last edited by a moderator:

tcook

Reaction score
ok changed the clutch master cylinder and slowly things are getting better. i warm the car up for 10 mins then go. sometimes i shift into 2nd then 1st. for reverse 3rd then reverse.

tcook

Reaction score
well gents. looks like it was the clutch master cylinder that was the problem. took about 2 weeks for the gears to shift smoothly. now all the gears shift like butter and I'm rippin it on the road again. so if this happens to anyone else change the clutch master cylinder before you go crazy with transmission parts and changing syncros.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Honestly sounds like you just needed to bleed the system sometimes it takes weeks to get all the air out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back