Need help now!!!

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Is this a noise y'all have heard before? It sounds like it's the tensioner and check out how it moves with the sound in the video. It's bolted tight so is there a chance something internally is messed up?

Note: When the belt is removed, the noise goes away

Last edited:

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it wants to die, or is that how it sounds? Sounds like a lifter maybe?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
when the belt is off the car, noise goes away

and for the dying part, its not completely tuned yet so on cold starts it does that

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
take the belt off and turn the idlers, tensioner pulley, and alternator pulley by hand. see if any feel rough.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I put it on with all the new parts. I was running just a regular 8rib belt before
I've never heard of a belt being noisy, but that would be my guess. Unless the belt was smaller lengthwise. Did you add/remove any accessories? If not, I would try the old belt.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I've never heard of a belt being noisy, but that would be my guess. Unless the belt was smaller lengthwise. Did you add/remove any accessories? If not, I would try the old belt.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

I idler pulley's are slightly different sizes and I got a Meziere elec. water pump. So the belt changed slightly

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The belt is not going to make grinding noises. I would still go back and check the pulleys and alternator. See if they have any play in them.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the belt by chance a little too long and causing the tensioner arm to hit the mounting bolt when it's jumping around from the change in rpm?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the belt is slapping against itself somewhere when the engine speed slows. Look at the belt at :40 where it comes off the SC pulley and heads down. You can see the belt wobble or something.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The belt seems to be slapping/skipping on it's own underside on that pulley right below the supercharger, you can see it skip and hit when it makes the sound.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Is the belt by chance a little too long and causing the tensioner arm to hit the mounting bolt when it's jumping around from the change in rpm?

If anything its too short. I had to almost push the tensioner completely down to put the belt on. But it still looks clear from all the mounting bolts.

The belt seems to be slapping/skipping on it's own underside on that pulley right below the supercharger, you can see it skip and hit when it makes the sound.

but the belt isnt going to be making metal knocking noises...I'm hoping I hear something from the shop soon

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but the belt isnt going to be making metal knocking noises...I'm hoping I hear something from the shop soon

Maybe I am not listening to the same noise. The one I thought you were referring to goes away at :47.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If anything its too short. I had to almost push the tensioner completely down to put the belt on. But it still looks clear from all the mounting bolts.

I haven't fucked with a thumpr tensioner but I assume there is a stop inside that allows you to rotate it so far. If the belt is too short than it may be hitting the stop with the hunting idle and that's why it goes away when it idles like it's suppose to.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back