Need help now!!!

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Change the belt back and see what it does. I'm assuming the old belt still fits.

If everything else was fine before you changed the belt, it's likely the belt causing the noise due to the changed length. Maybe your tensioner is bad, but if the belt is just too short/long and is maxing out the tensioner, changing it is not going to help.

**EDIT**
Just remembered the number of ribs are different. I guess the simpler step would be a new tensioner, then a longer/shorter belt.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
If so, that could be it. I'm hoping THUMP see's this thread and will chime in

Change the belt back and see what it does. I'm assuming the old belt still fits.

If everything else was fine before you changed the belt, it's likely the belt causing the noise due to the changed length. Maybe your tensioner is bad, but if the belt is just too short/long and is maxing out the tensioner, changing it is not going to help.

**EDIT**
Just remembered the number of ribs are different. I guess the simpler step would be a new tensioner, then a longer/shorter belt.

I changed the belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, water pump all at the same time

Slap a stock tensioner on it and see??

RH

I don't have a stock tensioner to test...Plus, I have to take out the ecu to replace...Don't wanna do it if I don't have too...Maybe it's just being maxed out...

Last edited by a moderator:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
shop confirmed it was the tensioner. the belt is slightly too small (needs to be about 1/2"-1" longer. Its pretty much maxing out the tensioner

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Do you have an oversize idler pulley you can downsize to give a bit more slack in the belt, instead of buying a new belt? I know on my setup belts are custom made by/for Roush and not particularly easy to come by. It's not like I can stop in the corner auto parts store and pick up a new belt 1/2" shorter.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I just got new billet idler pulleys...so its either new billet idler tensioner or new belt. I will wait until its tuned and idling better and see what happens. When its tuned, it may not do it b/c once its at a steady idle - the noise fades. If it continues to do it after the tune, I will change the belt

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got new billet idler pulleys...so its either new billet idler tensioner or new belt. I will wait until its tuned and idling better and see what happens. When its tuned, it may not do it b/c once its at a steady idle - the noise fades. If it continues to do it after the tune, I will change the belt

I would wait also. After just a little run time that new belt will start to stretch a little and may resolve the problem for you.

Thing is though.....if the tensioner bottoms out under boost won't the belt have some pretty major slippage?

RH

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back