need quick opinions on paxton non ic supercharger kit

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
help

can anyone answer this for me ?

i am going to make a custom intercooler setup . now can i go from the outlet of the blower then into one side of the ic then the other side of the ic go to the tbody ? know i was thinking the i would need to run iat sensor somewhere after the intercooler . would i need to run some sort of blow off valve ? or could i just retrofit the one that comes with it ?

anyone with any knowledge on this would be great .

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
ic

and what size pipe should i use 2.5 or 3"

maybe 2.5 seeing its kinda a small blower?
not sure im new to this.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
How long does a Meth fill up last anyway. Looks like a pretty small tank. It's works all the time right? Just knows when you're needing it and kicks in automatically?

I ordered the 8qt tank for the trunk on my STi and with a mix of 50/50 it would last almost the whole summer. The kit only sprays when the MAF volt reaches a certain point then it kicks in and progressively builds up to 100%. When you let off the gas it shuts off. So as you are driving nothing is spraying until you hit the gas pretty hard. I liked having mine in the trunk because of it keeping the temps down and it being hidden.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I used the Snow Performance kit in my Subaru and it worked great, but I would get the Aquamist kit now if doing it over again. They have a better failsafe if the pump or nozzles stop working. Also make sure you have Meth available to buy locally.

I wouldn't put the kit in until I had everything so you only have to get a custom tune once instead of tuning for the blower and then having to tune it for the Meth or IC. You could take that cash and put it towards building the block.

Meth is available at most any autoparts store. Windshield wiper fluid will work fine as long as it is 50% methanol (methyl alcohol) and 50% water.

Custom tuning twice isn't a huge expense. Our local dyno guru charges $150 per hour, and most blower cars are tuned in 2 hours or less there. Email changes are done for free after that, and going back on the dyno for a tune change (i.e. to add for the meth) shouldn't really be more than an hour. Not a big investment, but you get huge returns.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
How long does a Meth fill up last anyway. Looks like a pretty small tank. It's works all the time right? Just knows when you're needing it and kicks in automatically?

As Steedman07 and Irishman mentioned, you won't go through the meth quickly. The systems for our cars are boost activated (not MAF voltage dependent like in Irishman's STi setup). You set the boost level that you want the meth to start spraying. In a good kit, you can also set the rate of gain to spray an increasing amount of meth as boost climbs. You also set the boost level that you want a max spray. Different jets are available to tailor the spray to your horsepower level. So, stay out of the boost and you'll use no meth at all.

If you need a bigger tank, they are available. I believe I'll be ordering the trunk mounted tank from AIS. The pump is in the tank, just run the lines up to the engine bay and put the nozzle in the intake stream just ahead of the throttle body. No unsightly pump or tank under the hood. Or, just use your windshield wiper tank since a 50/50 mix of methanol/water can clean your windshield and work for the meth injection. Crazy simple!

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Do you leave at idle?

I've tried that quite a few times (recommended by all the stall converter manufacturers for a harder hit off the line). However, my best ET's have always been when I hold about 2,000 to 2,500 rpm's against the brakes at the beams. I guess my car is abnormal in that respect, as so many people have advised me to leave from idle. So, for now I'm just gonna keep doing what works best in my application.

I would strongly encourage you to try a variety of launch techniques. If you leave from idle, hammer it on the 2nd to last amber light. If you leave with revs against the brakes, hammer it on the last amber. Both of these methods consistently yield .001 to .099 reaction times for me (assuming I stage very shallow - just barely lighting up both staging lights).

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
paxton

hey guys im glad i can get all your meth and tq converter questions answered in my thread. i guess seeing ive asked this about 10 times . i guess ill just start another thread .i am looking for intercooling info .
if anyone has any knowledge on this please help .

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Anyone with any good intercooling info?

Why not just buy the HO conversion kit from Paxton or Vortech to convert your standard Paxton? You'd get all the hardware required in a tidy package without having to guess and make a million trips back and forth to the auto parts or hardware stores to see what fits.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
lol

lol i know youve seen the prices on that stuff!! if i have the ability to possibly fab something up for alot less why wouldnt i ??

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
meth

id run the meth injection before i paid $1700 for a intercooler !!

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm putting together my own water/air setup for my ysi. Its not hard to fab your own stuff up

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
id run the meth injection before i paid $1700 for a intercooler !!

Yeah, that seems like the smart thing to do unless you've just got money to blow or a lot of time on your hands. I know I'll be going with the Meth if I can ever affort the SC to start with, lol

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I've got an 08 3V with a Paxton 1200 non-IC. Before I filled my engine full of metal last year, my car made 508 rwhp STD with this blower at 10 psi, IMRC deletes, Comp stage 2's, JBA shortys, FRPP x-pipe, and a couple other small things I can't remember. That dyno run was on a 104* day in Sacramento at AED.

The non-IC blower will make plenty of power, especially if you have the right supporting mods. However, it's very difficult to tune, because the IAT's have such a large possible swing as opposed to the intercooler model, so your only safe option is to tune it very conservatively.

I also road raced this setup through the summer and fall of last year and only went into failsafe mode once on the track. These engines tolerate lots of abuse (aside from lack of oil as I found out), but for better longevity and safer levels of performance, you want a charge cooler asap.

Also, if you install the non-IC kit, I can assure you that it will be a long time before you intercool it. Once you have the the boost and power gains and all seems well, you'll put it off and put it off and before you know it years will have passed. If you buy the non-IC kit, do yourself and your engine a favor and either pick up the Paxton air-to-air kit at the same time (obviously only if the non-IC kit is a smokin hot deal) or engineer a custom intercooler to install along with the Paxton.

Almost a year later, I'm still trying to decide what to do as far as charge cooling, all because I found a too hard to pass up deal on this goddamn non-IC Paxton! ;)
The meth injection idea is gaining a lot of traction with me, but I still want an intercooler, regardless of whether I go with meth or not.

Finally, as for a custom intercooler, there are definitely options, but very little info online for our specific setups. There are plenty of universal intercooler manufacturers, but that's as far as the info I've found goes. Aside from the right brackets and hardware, you'll need to measure out, find, and order plumbing that will adapt correctly. Then you'll need to tune for it. Also, I'm not sure whether a 2nd bypass valve is needed, but the Paxton kit most definitely includes one. What would be really useful to have is a detailed cut sheet of all that is included in the Paxton kit, along with a step by step DIY install guide with photos. So far, I haven't found enough to convince me to start trying to piece an intercooler kit together myself. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Last edited:

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
info

great info kahman ,

i really appreciate all that info .
so you are still running yours non intercooled?
yeah there isnt alot of info and stuff available for our cars .

im still set on fabbing something up

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still running non-intercooled, yeah. I've got a freshly built forged stroker, port/polish heads, stage 3 cams, long tubes, and more than I care to list, but somehow STILL don't have a flippin intercooler.
Part of this is due to the retarded amount of money that Paxton wants for their intercooler kit and part of it is due to my own inability to make a decision on whether I want to try to fab up a custom kit myself.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm still running non-intercooled, yeah. I've got a freshly built forged stroker, port/polish heads, stage 3 cams, long tubes, and more than I care to list, but somehow STILL don't have a flippin intercooler.
Part of this is due to the retarded amount of money that Paxton wants for their intercooler kit and part of it is due to my own inability to make a decision on whether I want to try to fab up a custom kit myself.

Dude, you are fucking nuts not running meth or a cooler with what you just put into it. At least run meht for now and be safe....You are either very brave, or very..not so smart..:crazy:

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, you are fucking nuts not running meth or a cooler with what you just put into it. At least run meht for now and be safe....You are either very brave, or very..not so smart..:crazy:
It is tuned extremely safely and will not be tracked again until it has some sort of charge cooling.
I didn't just invest all this money for nothing, trust me.
I just don't want to choose a path, then have to undo it. For now, I'm just enjoying having my car running again for the first time in 6 months, while exploring all of my cooling options.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back