Needing some help from our experts!

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
is it really so much better than the pc. i know the price difference is huge, but it really worth it.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
is it really so much better than the pc. i know the price difference is huge, but it really worth it.

Two different types of machine. The PC/Griots/Megs Polisher are dual action orbital polishers that provide a random orbit motion.

The Flex 3401 is a dual action but uses a fixed rotation and spins faster in a circular motion while it does a random orbit.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Hey Seer anything different on your Race Red formula for a Kona Blue car?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Seer anything different on your Race Red formula for a Kona Blue car?

Nope, I just recommend Lava to people who have colors that pop, kona would be no different.

You could also substitute Black Light and Lava with Zymol Carbon or Glasur or Concours and Zymol HD Cleanse if your car isn't much of a daily driver or doesnt have a bit of swirls.

If you're compounding and polishing either combo works. Lava will last longer, Zymol will look nicer.

despinos

Reaction score
Seer,

I have been lurking and searching on this subforum for a few days and I have a few specific questions.

I have a 13' Ruby Red Vert. It has not been polished, sealed or waxed since purchased a few months ago. From what I can see in sunlight there a few light swirl marks from improper washing. I will be performing the process you have outlined in this thread and using the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards.

1. Should I use a CG citrus wash initially to get the paint prepped for polishing, sealing, etc; and use the maxi suds II for normally washing in between full detailing?
2. Is the Meguiar's 105 and orange pads too much for light swirl marks?
3. And if so, what should I use?
4. The clay bar lube you recommended is out of stock, do you have a recommended alternative?
5. Will the backing plate you listed work with the porter cable 7424?

Thank you for your help
David

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Seer,

I have been lurking and searching on this subforum for a few days and I have a few specific questions.

I have a 13' Ruby Red Vert. It has not been polished, sealed or waxed since purchased a few months ago. From what I can see in sunlight there a few light swirl marks from improper washing. I will be performing the process you have outlined in this thread and using the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards.

1. Should I use a CG citrus wash initially to get the paint prepped for polishing, sealing, etc; and use the maxi suds II for normally washing in between full detailing?
2. Is the Meguiar's 105 and orange pads too much for light swirl marks?
3. And if so, what should I use?
4. The clay bar lube you recommended is out of stock, do you have a recommended alternative?
5. Will the backing plate you listed work with the porter cable 7424?

Thank you for your help
David

I'll answer these in order.

1. Yes, wash with CG Citrus Wash using the proper dilution ratio to strip the surface of any waxes or sealants. This is the safest for your paint, trim etc vs. dish soap.

2. I always recommend you spot check your surface using your least powerful pad/polish combo first. So if you're running 105/205 and the spot looks light/moderate to you, try using a Polishing Pad (either LC White or Green, or Hydrotech Tangerine) with 205 first. If you did not fully remove the defect, move up to 105/Compounding pad, then refinish with 205/Finishing pad.

I actually like the new Hydrotech line of pads. If you do not already own a set of pads I highly recommend them and autoality's detailers club pricing on them cannot be beaten. They only use a three pad lineup.

Compounding - Cyan
Polishing - Tangerine
Finishing/Application - Crimson

These pads work a bit better than the standard Lake Country pads. If you already own them no worries, as the standard LC pads are still very good, just the hydrotechs are better.

3. Here is my detailing decision tree. Assuming you are using M105/205

Does the defect look heavy?
No- Use M205 and a Tangerine pad
Yes- Use M105 and a Cyan Pad

Was the defect removed successfully?
No- Use M105 and a Cyan Pad
Yes- Drink a beer or finish it down more with either M205 and a Crimson pad, or Menzerena PO85RD or whatever else you want to use or nothing at all if you are satisified

If you are using a Cyan pad/M105 you will almost always need to go back over the same spot again with a Crimson finishing pad and M205 to refinish it up.

4. Clay bar lube really is nothing more than cheap detail spray.

5. Go to this link: http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/s...geStyle=H&resultCnt=200&keyword=backing+plate

Backing plates listed with "Dual Action" in the front are all compatible with the Pc7424

Also note a good glaze, like CG Black Light or EZ Creme are good to use on bare surfaces in between polishing sessions to hide some minor defects from daily driving and washing.

despinos

Reaction score
Thank you for the great direction.

I don't have Lake Country pads, or any at that, so I will order some. Excuse my lack of experience, but the crimson pads can be used for applying the lava and black light?

Also forgot to ask another important question. Convertible top: What is the best product and method to cleaning you recommend?

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great direction.

I don't have Lake Country pads, or any at that, so I will order some. Excuse my lack of experience, but the crimson pads can be used for applying the lava and black light?

Also forgot to ask another important question. Convertible top: What is the best product and method to cleaning you recommend?

Yes, the crimson pad lacks cut. It is used for waxes, sealants, glazes and finishing polishes.

You just apply a little pressure when using finishing polishes.

As far as the vert top, follow this thread:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/35810-cleaning-porsche-convertible-top.html

despinos

Reaction score
Thank you a whole bunch!

This is everything I need to get started. I will post some before and after shots.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back