New Clutch and slave cylinder, DAMN!

johnnyhumble

Reaction score
Recently had car taken in for routine service and an airbag recall, (2006 GT Premium). Service tech just called and told me they noticed the clutch and slave cylinder are worn out, replacement is Just under 2k! Holy crap....car has 126,000 miles so I can't complaint too much but shit couldn't have come at a worse time. He was surprised I wasn't complaining about the way it was driving, guess I just got used to it. Anyone else here replace their clutch at around the same price? I do not have the equipment or tools to do it myself.

johnnyhumble

Reaction score
I told them to just fix the recall and I am searching around for quotes now. 2k seems a bit much.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I just called a local place and they quoted me 4-500 for labor.

johnnyhumble

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Part of why I posted in tech, because I thought I could get the information on how difficult the job is to do vs. the money I am being quoted. I am not a complete moron, but thanks. I appreciate the "help". I haven't had to do much since I bought this car a couple of years ago and this forum has helped me with a lot of questions I have had, hence the low number of posts on my part.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Part of why I posted in tech, because I thought I could get the information on how difficult the job is to do vs. the money I am being quoted. I am not a complete moron, but thanks. I appreciate the "help". I haven't had to do much since I bought this car a couple of years ago and this forum has helped me with a lot of questions I have had, hence the low number of posts on my part.

Still not a valid reason to post in tech. This board is intolerant of attention seekers only posting their non tech question in tech just to get replies. That isn't how this (or any other) forum works. The vast majority of us will see the topic regardless of what sub forum you post it in. Posting it in tech just pisses us off. You would think a member of 3+ years would know that.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
I recommend you purchase a complete kit including a flywheel from one of our site sponsors and have someone you trust do the labor. If you get an engineered kit you will be certain that all the parts will work properly together. I've heard horror stories where someone gets the wrong slave cylinder and the clutch wont disengage.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I can verify for a fact that the parts I linked will work together because I installed them and it drives like factory. No engagement or disengagement issues whatsoever. The LuK has a slave cylinder made by FTE which is the OEM and the clutch disc is made by Valeo which is also OEM. The flywheel is direct ford unit. The only thing else you may need is new flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the clutch is worn out at all. The tech "noticed" it was worn out while doing the recall - how? Moving the car around the parking lot or doing donuts and brake stands out on the highway? How is the car driving?

I have the OEM clutch @ 80,000 miles or so, a few years with a blower, sticky tires, no sign of an issue.

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the clutch is worn out at all. The tech "noticed" it was worn out while doing the recall - how? Moving the car around the parking lot or doing donuts and brake stands out on the highway? How is the car driving?

I have the OEM clutch @ 80,000 miles or so, a few years with a blower, sticky tires, no sign of an issue.

+1 Could have just been a money grab since you were in for free labor. How does the clutch feel?

johnnyhumble

Reaction score
Very loose...almost full travel to engage or disengage, so the bottom of pedal travel. I asked them to verify what I suspected.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back