New engine, old tune

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Here's the reader's digest condensed version:
First: I bought a 2008 Racecraft (Saleen), with the usual supercharger, and promptly went to JDM where they installed their "500 HP at the wheels" upgrade: smaller pulley (3.2), upgraded fuel pumps, big mouth intake and a DYNO TUNE. She was a different car, fun to drive, torque everywhere and endless power!
Second: I went Summit Point and did a few track sessions, we gotta drive these damn things, right? After the 5th track session, a couple rods were left on the track. Stuff happens.
Third: Out with the old 3V and in with the new 3V. Ford Racing aluminator 5.0 liter forged everything short block, ported Ford Racing heads M-6049-463VP3 (stock valves, mild porting, larger intake ports, and the smallest COMP Cams 127050 (only a hair more lift, and duration, lobe separation is a little tighter than stock). While I'm down there, also slid in a T56 magnum and a McLeod dual disc clutch and a lightened steel flywheel. Pretty minor changes...
Now: She's all together, starts and runs (after throwing a P0351 code, seems I connected only 7 of the coils, my bad). I'm doing my "break in everything" drives when I can, almost 100 miles so far. I stay under 3,500 rpm and keep to the backroads to keep shifting. Here's the thing: totally different car. When she's cold, she runs like a bat outta hell, she'll light up the wheels if you breath on the gas pedal. Once warm, she seems like she's down 50-75 ft lbs under 3,000 rpm. I expected to have the slip the clutch a little more in first gear, the flywheel is lighter and first is slightly taller, but she seems more sluggish than she should be. Plus, more cc's, 4.6 to a 5.0 should get me a little more torque And that damn clutch howl below 2k rpm is crap, I'm seriously thinking about getting a different, single disc clutch, but that's not the big issue. She engages fine, it's just the racket.

My question is should I get a fresh tune? Maybe the mild cam change (more overlap) is causing a problem. Maybe it's the combination of parts and a tune would make her run warm like she does cold. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking go back to JDM, they did a great job last time. What does the group think?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune should have been redone right off the bat. Hopefully no damage done.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Get a tune, when cold your running on fuel tables that may be a little leaner, when the car warms the tune switches to your main tables which will probably be off with a different cam and engine setup.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Tune before anything else. The ecu is basing load on a few things. One of those things is how much air is flowing by the maf. Airflow per displacement is a big factor in determining load (think volumetric efficiency).

Right now the ecu thinks load is higher than it should be because it still thinks you have a 4.6. This will effect many other parameters in the tune.

I'd suggest contacting Manuel Pazo for the retune asap. He goes by lito on this forum. www.tudyno.com.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
New engine and t56, new noise

OK, I'll get her a fresh tune ASAP. My other issue (could be related, might not be) is a noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing, only louder. At first I thought it was the new McLeod RST dual disc clutch, but now, I'm not sure. The noise is engine RPM related and it's get louder with more load (pressing the gas pedal down). It's very faint in 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th, and fairly loud in 3rd and 4th gear. For instance, when accelerating in 2nd gear to 2,600 rpm and shifting into 3rd, the rpm's drop to 1,600. If I keep accelerating the noise gets louder the more gas I give her. If I let off the gas enough to just hold a steady speed on level ground, the noise disappears. But the more I press down the louder the noise, until about 2,000 rpm, where the noise just stops, and a few hundred rpm later the supercharger whine kicks in and the smile appears. If I let off and the revs drop below 2,000 the noise will start when I press on the gas. The noise is very faint in 2nd and 5th, you really have to listen for it, but 3rd and 4th it is VERY loud. For what it's worth, when the car is idling and stopped, the usual rattle when pressing and releasing the clutch is non-existent. So it does not match the "clutch rattle" videos the diesel truck guys have posted on YouTube.I don't want to tear the transmission out again, but if I have to.... I wonder if it could be the cam phasers. I bought a new kit from Ford when I rebuilt the engine, not the cheap one from RockAuto, but maybe something is up there.

Anyway, that's the New Noise. Anybody got an ideas?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back