New engine wont pump oil

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I have had issues trying to get my new engine running, but I know what the deal is now, so I needed to take the turbo off to get to the timing chain cover. Anyway, as I took the oil feed line off the turbo, it was bone dry, so i took off the oil filter and it was dry too. I have cranked on it for a total of maybe 45 seconds or so, so there should be oil there. Any ideas as to why I am not pumping oil??

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crank driven pumps can be a pain to prime. The best way to prime the engine is to use a pressurized ball to fill the passages, but that is hard to find. Fill the filter and maybe pack the pump with white grease to give it a little help. Good luck!

RRRoamer

Reaction score
I guess there actually WAS an advantage to the distributor days: Pull the distributor and prime the oil system with a 1/2 drill! That's kind of hard to do when the oil pump is sitting around the crank snout.

Of course, that's the ONLY advantage I can think of! ;)

GI Joe

Reaction score
I have had issues trying to get my new engine running, but I know what the deal is now, so I needed to take the turbo off to get to the timing chain cover. Anyway, as I took the oil feed line off the turbo, it was bone dry, so i took off the oil filter and it was dry too. I have cranked on it for a total of maybe 45 seconds or so, so there should be oil there. Any ideas as to why I am not pumping oil??

Do you have a relocated oil filter? Make sure the lines are hooked up correctly

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
No, stock location on oil filter. I called Livernois and MMR today and they both told me that they simply wont move enough oil to go anywhere at cranking speed, but that I should see pressure in about 5 seconds once if i ever get the beast to fire up.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I just hope dry cranking it for 45 seconds didn't harm anything...

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
I would fill the filter and pack the oil pump with white grease as mentioned, you should be able to get it to prime. A motor I put in a 97 Cobra didn't have any problem creating oil pressure at cranking speed...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back