New guy from Philadelphia!

H

Hockeyman82

Hello there s197 forum!

Well i dont have a mustang but ive always wanted one and i may get my chance in the near future. I currently drive a 2007 civic si and its great, no problems at all and i got it brand new and had it for almost 3 years now and put 46000 miles on it. not a single problem, its a honda thing.

I am currently a member of 8thcivic.com which is a forum for 8th gen civics. everyone on there is very nice and the mods usually have everything under control. im hoping the same goes for this forum too.

Well on to the mustang, i want a 2007+ red, black or white GT in a 5 speed. that would be sick. i have already test drove some but i am very picky and it has to be perfect. its hard to buy a used car. i must say i absolutely hate the 2010 body style so i dont want a new one.

Anyway im hoping to learn a lot about mustangs and where to get parts. i already know im not buying from fordracin.com form the first threat i red. http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25349. i was told to shut up?

well thanks for listening and heres some pictures of my SI, enjoy.

IMG00008-20091025-1705.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

CIMG1353.jpg

CIMG0454.jpg

CIMG1297.jpg

CIMG1316.jpg

CIMG1305.jpg

sorry if thats too many pictures. i get carried away sometimes lol

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good luck with your mustang search.

Shades

Reaction score
Yea, you should get one, tons of fun. Speaking from someone who started off with a Honda (not by choice). It was best decision I ever made.

H

Hockeyman82

yeah ive been looking on this forum all day and i noticed that there arent many DIY threads. I was trying to see the undercarriage of a GT to try and understand this x pipe, h pipe long headers and axle back gibberish. arent there just any good catbacks?

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
I came from a Dodge Intrepid (some asshole stole my paid off car I might add) and this has been one of the best experiences of my life. You will love it.

My search was difficult as well until I finally settled on my '07 GT/CS (I knew it had to be white as well) You will find that a great tune and intake will completely change this car.

H

Hockeyman82

tune and intake? please explain goneN60... why with the mustang do u need to tune every mod? with my si u just reset the ECU and ur golden but u can get a tune on top of that... so please explain about the intake and tune

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
Ford left a lot of power and potential on the table with these cars. A tune simply unlocks all the hidden power. A good tune will have adjustments to the Drive By Wire system, tourque management, exc... The PCM on these cars control absolutely everything. $500 to 600 is not bad for almost 30 HP in most cases.

H

Hockeyman82

Ford left a lot of power and potential on the table with these cars. A tune simply unlocks all the hidden power. A good tune will have adjustments to the Drive By Wire system, tourque management, exc... The PCM on these cars control absolutely everything. $500 to 600 is not bad for almost 30 HP in most cases.

i know what a tune is lol but i dont understand why after every mod its needed. lol im not trying to be a smart ass, that first sentence sounds a little nasty but no harm ment.

tuning for the SI's just came out and they started making the car in 06 so its new to me, but tuning an SI is 700 plus the dyno tune. i was just wondering because i was looking at parts and they have intake with tunners.

whats a good tune to buy?

thanks and again no harm ment lol

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
i know what a tune is lol but i dont understand why after every mod its needed. lol im not trying to be a smart ass, that first sentence sounds a little nasty but no harm ment.

tuning for the SI's just came out and they started making the car in 06 so its new to me, but tuning an SI is 700 plus the dyno tune. i was just wondering because i was looking at parts and they have intake with tunners.

whats a good tune to buy?

thanks and again no harm ment lol

The reason the car needs to be retuned after an intake specifically, is because the MAF will be reading a completely different amount of air blowing past it. If it weren't retuned, engine damage could occur because the MAF from the factory is set to only ready a certain amount of air to adjust fuel and timing.

If you went with an O/R X pipe, the rear O2 sensors need to be turned off, and that can only be done with a tune.

Its just a matter of having the car run and perform more effeciently with each new addition (axle back exhaust systems don't do squat except for sound BTW so a tune is not needed).

The tune also has a huge role in the electronic throttle control, which in these cars cause a very annoying lag during acceleration and down shifting.

These cars tend to respond well with email tunes from any of the reputible vendors on this site.

Some have even reported picking up more power from a $50 to $75 email tune over a more expensive dyno tune.

The tech section of this site is second to none I have seen and there is a ton of info in there.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed anything major. I came from a Dodge Intrepid, so all this was pretty new to me to.

Last edited:
H

Hockeyman82

The reason the car needs to be retuned after an intake specifically, is because the MAF will be reading a completely different amount of air blowing past it. If it weren't retuned, engine damage could occur because the MAF from the factory is set to only ready a certain amount of air to adjust fuel and timing.

that makes sense on why they sell tuners with intakes, i thought that was weird

If you went with an O/R X pipe, the rear O2 sensors need to be turned off, and that can only be done with a tune.

ok what is an O/R X pipe and i heard of an H pipe? what is that?

Its just a matter of having the car run and perform more effeciently with each new addition (axle back exhaust systems don't do squat except for sound BTW so a tune is not needed).

yeah i saw that too. a lot of people buy axle backs to change the tone of the exhaust. i think thats weird because there is no power made with changing an axle back but i also saw that people buy a mid pipe and then the axle back instead of a catback

The tune also has a huge role in the electronic throttle control, which in these cars cause a very annoying lag during acceleration and down shifting.

this is going to suck coming from an SI. the Throttle response in the Si is really good

These cars tend to respond well with email tunes from any of the reputible vendors on this site.

Some have even reported picking up more power from a $50 to $75 email tune over a more expensive dyno tune.

The tech section of this site is second to none I have seen and there is a ton of info in there.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed anything major. I came from a Dodge Intrepid, so all this was pretty new to me to.

okay so after all of this what would be ur first mod? im trying to make power and i know i want an exhaust that sounds badass but what would be ur first mod? Im coming from a Honda to a v8 so im excited lol.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Your first mod for power should be CAI, UDP's, exhuast, Charge motion delete plates(deletes butterflies in between intake manifold and cylinders heads to allow more airflow), and a tune.

H

Hockeyman82

Your first mod for power should be CAI, UDP's, exhuast, Charge motion delete plates(deletes butterflies in between intake manifold and cylinders heads to allow more airflow), and a tune.

what brands?

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
okay so after all of this what would be ur first mod? im trying to make power and i know i want an exhaust that sounds badass but what would be ur first mod? Im coming from a Honda to a v8 so im excited lol.

You should get the car first. I drove stock for a month and was amazed at the power, performance, sound...everything. I bought an axle back first (MAC Boom Tubes). If I could do it again, I would have bought my intake and tune first.

I'm getting an O/R Xpipe or O/R Prochamber next and CMPDs and UDPs after that. My car is a DD, so I want more power but something I can live with every day with out any issues.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
what brands?

Different people like different CAI's. I have a Steeda High Flow intake and am pretty sastified with it.
UDP's, Steeda's are probably the top choice.
Charge motion delete plates, get the economy plates from Steeda also. Or buy a used set of stock plates and make them yourself, there is a DIY thread.

Exhuast is pretty much your own taste. I think borla and jba sound pretty nice, but thats me.

Tune, alot of people recently bought BBR tune and have loved them. I'll stick with my Bamachips tunes.

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
+1. I had a Brenspeed tune and went with BBR on a whim based on a few threads and never looked back. The BBR tune suits my driving habits more.

Most of these intakes seem to be running with in a small margin of each other.

I chose boom tubes because I wanted a muffler delete but didn't like the SLP LMs.

H

Hockeyman82

any good websites? i like to get my stuff new... man its gonna take a while to get used to these american brands. and what is O/R? and CMPDs and UDPs? this will be my DD too but i want it to be freakin loud. it is a mussel car after all

and as for keeping it stock for a while.. I want to mod it because my Si runs a faster 1/4 miles then a stock mustang and i dont know how this forum is with street racing but i beat a GT conv't with mods. he wouldnt tell me what he had done to it but after seeing how mustang owners work im hoping he only had an axle back lol.

btw my SI's best time was a 13.9

Last edited by a moderator:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back