Newbie to buffers and sealant

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
I'll have to try Meguiars 101... M105 and M205 are still my choice for heavy correction, but they dust like crazy and I've been avoiding them unless absolutely necessary.
101 cuts harder than 105, works as well or better than 205. Tiny bit of dust but not much at all

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I was a hard core hand apply carnuba paste guy for a very long time. but I have found there are a million ways to skin a cat on this one

I do a full prep and sealant job twice a year. This is the last job before the full business before winter. No prep on this one.

foam cannon - wash - FW1 wax applied with a Porter Cable 7424XP and Hex Logic Finishing Pad (black) 5.5 inch and then microfiber hand wipe off.

I hear some shit for using a porter cable to apply wax and sealant, but with the right pad and technique it goes a lot faster and uses less product without harming anything.

I will do hand apply paste but for a premium.

Last edited:

ModdedMach

Reaction score
I personally prefer coatings. I know alot of people like the "way" a wax "looks" but i prefer making my paint physically level and actually glossy, then preserving that look with whatever will protect my paint the best from the elements.

Dont get me wrong, i have a few nubas in the fridge (a fridge just for wax), but i can count on 1 hand the amount of times ive waxed a customer's car in the last few years. lol and both (thats right i said both as it 2) both were Non-daily driven, garage queen cars lol.

GDCracing

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about Adam's polishes. I personally love the stuff. Still a newbie but I used to work with Zaino products. Everything was applied by hand since I don't have the funds for a proper orbital. Still young. Leave me alone. lol. Zaino itself was amazing, smells great, could see results even using by hand, but dang if I had to wait another second waiting for coats to cure or whatever. Ugh. Adam's works really fast and with the proper technique and orbital gets darn close to 100% correction.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I like how you mentioned the smell. I used to think the smell of some products was to make it sell better to the public. When I did detailing for a shop last summer I found out very quickly when you have 4 bottles of white, 3 bottles of blue, 2 bottles of pink, and 3 bottles of purple, smell becomes very important.

You do want to get a Porter Cable 7424 and a velcro attachment asap though. It will save you a ton of time and make your polish and compound jobs come out way better. I put off getting machines for many years, I would not recommend so for anybody else.

ModdedMach

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about Adam's polishes. I personally love the stuff. Still a newbie but I used to work with Zaino products. Everything was applied by hand since I don't have the funds for a proper orbital. Still young. Leave me alone. lol. Zaino itself was amazing, smells great, could see results even using by hand, but dang if I had to wait another second waiting for coats to cure or whatever. Ugh. Adam's works really fast and with the proper technique and orbital gets darn close to 100% correction.

Adams products arent bad but they are too damn proud of them. Plenty of other products work as well or better and cost much less. Thats why you dont here alot about Adams polishes- especially in the world of pros where most people are buying buy the gallon.

Also remember that coming from an OTC offering like Zaino (used to be available otc, idk about how) and going to something good like Adams will respectively make Adams seem like the best. Adams is good, but there is a reason that a LOT of people use Meguiars, Menzerna, Scholls Concepts, 3DHD ect. Part of it is preference as well.

As far as working by hand, its almost a wash. I wont say you cant get results but 99% of the time, when someone is working by hand, they just "polish" the product into the paint and then wipe it off, leaving all of the polishing oils in the paint, which just cover up the defects anyway.

The process of proper paint correction is very specific and takes a lot of experience to fine tune. Even after doing so for years i still learn new things with each type of paint system i work on. The thing to remember, as a beginner, is to read and watch ALOT of correct information, find a niche in a few forums, figure out who knows what they are talking about and listen- but dont blindly follow. And practice on your own cars- thats the best way to learn, because if you miss a spot or something, youll find it eventually and learn because its your car.

I like how you mentioned the smell. I used to think the smell of some products was to make it sell better to the public. When I did detailing for a shop last summer I found out very quickly when you have 4 bottles of white, 3 bottles of blue, 2 bottles of pink, and 3 bottles of purple, smell becomes very important.

You do want to get a Porter Cable 7424 and a velcro attachment asap though. It will save you a ton of time and make your polish and compound jobs come out way better. I put off getting machines for many years, I would not recommend so for anybody else.

For a beginner machine id go with Griots Garage DA. It has a little more vibration but WAY more torque- and a lifetime warranty- which is good because it will die one day lol.

Smell is a factor- for me, but only when it comes to LSP/QDs and interior stuff. As long as a polish/compound doesnt stink im down with it.

Best smell ever- Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer, mark my words.

28ONE

Reaction score
Best thing I've done to my stang was apply CQuartz UK - cleaning is a breeze!

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
I know I'm a convert from wax. Never thought it would ever happen. Coatings are just that good.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
I know I'm a convert from wax. Never thought it would ever happen. Coatings are just that good.

Even most sealants outperform most waxes and are easier to apply. I love applying C'Quartz Finest and UK as often as possible

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back