No Start Issue

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Over the last couple night I changed out the followers and lash adjusters on my car. I also had to change out my phasers due to a mishap by my friend. The old phasers had limiters in them and I did not install them in the new phasers. Now the car will not start. It fouled the plugs. I replaced the plugs and the car still won't start.

The car just cranks. I tried starting it with the pedal to the floor. I also tried to start it with the mass air unplugged. We verified we have fuel and good spark. I did use a chain wedge when we replaced these parts.

The only thing that has not been changed yet is the tune portion for the cam phasers. Could this be the no start problem? Any insight would be great.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bruce,
I run breathers on the valve covers and have vacuum caps on the ports. It's weird because the car ran fine the other night to bring it into the shop. Maybe I will try to back to stock setup instead of the breathers.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Not sure if it similar, but my friend's Mercury Marauder wouldn't start and it turned out to be the crank sensor had slightly gotten disconnected.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce,
I run breathers on the valve covers and have vacuum caps on the ports. It's weird because the car ran fine the other night to bring it into the shop. Maybe I will try to back to stock setup instead of the breathers.

Sometimes the vacuum lines come off by accident or you don't remember it. Physically touch the lines and tug on them to insure they are connected. The brake booster especially can come undone but still look hooked up.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Not sure if it similar, but my friend's Mercury Marauder wouldn't start and it turned out to be the crank sensor had slightly gotten disconnected.

Note the rpms during cranking...if 0 when cranking, it wont start; disconnected crank sensor.

Check voltage on injectors and COPs; just turn on the key and check the red wire on both sides on a couple of them.

G.T

Reaction score
i've recently had an incident with a bad phaser which made the car think the RH cam was 90 degrees off.. try unplugging both cam position sensors (CMP) and start, making sure CKP Sensor is securely plugged (by the AC Compressor)

if all else fails, get on SCT Livelink and datalog your RPM, fuel pressure, spark and spark source.. that might set you in the right direction.

unplugged vacuum lines would still get the car to start, but it would idle high and rough (if it does stay on... but at least it would start)

if your timing chain did jump a tooth, it will at least sound like it's trying to start rather than just cranking on and on

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a call from my friend yesterday about the car. He told me that when they disconnected the fuel injectors and coils on the passenger side the car started and ran on four cylinders. He seems to think that possibly some of the followers moved or came off causing the valves to not move.

When we put that side back together the other night we put the valve cover on without checking rotation first. It was late at night. We did check the driver side when we worked on that side. I guess I will tear it back apart on Tuesday night to see whats going on.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
My bet is that cam timing is off on the passenger side. If those cams require phase limiters, you need to put them back in! Otherwise PTV clearance will cause you to eat a bunch of valves.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cams are 127350 they do not require limiters. It's very possible the timing is off. I will know more when I can work on it again.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it ended bad. A follower fell off and got wedged between the cam and head. Which took out a cam lobe and when it wedged it wiped out the phaser and front of the cam. It also looks like a valve hit the #2 piston. Now I need to decide what to do with this car.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it ended bad. A follower fell off and got wedged between the cam and head. Which took out a cam lobe and when it wedged it wiped out the phaser and front of the cam. It also looks like a valve hit the #2 piston. Now I need to decide what to do with this car.

Damn Frank, sorry to hear that. Weren't you working on it at the Shop? Did they help you m
I told you n You could of brought it by one afternoon and we could of knocked it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I got a call from my friend yesterday about the car. He told me that when they disconnected the fuel injectors and coils on the passenger side the car started and ran on four cylinders. He seems to think that possibly some of the followers moved or came off causing the valves to not move.

When we put that side back together the other night we put the valve cover on without checking rotation first. It was late at night. We did check the driver side when we worked on that side. I guess I will tear it back apart on Tuesday night to see whats going on.

I could have told you that would happen. Ask me how I know....

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Captain, I was reading your thread and was hoping that did not happen to me. My piston only has one mark where the valve hit. So it's not as bad as yours. But the cam is wiped and probably bent the valves.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn Frank, sorry to hear that. Weren't you working on it at the Shop? Did they help you m
I told you n You could of brought it by one afternoon and we could of knocked it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Paul we all were working on it. It's just my luck that one follower moved and took out some parts. I just don't know what to do with this car anymore. If it's not one thing it's another as you know.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back