Noise from LCA's and relocation brackets...what's normal?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, last weekend I installed a set of UMI LCA's and UPR relocation brackets. Both nice pieces, not a bad install either. Everything is tight and greased too. My question is how much noise should these things make? I know they are not going to be quiet as stock, and I am cool with that. If I have the radio on I never hear anything, but if it's off and I hit a bump, or go up a driveway I hear some squeaks. Pretty much normal I assume?

Thanks fellas.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Not normal if you used the proper grease. Let me guess - trailer bearing grease?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Squeaks no not normal. Bushing faces should have grease on them and if so there should not be squeaking.

I did get a kind of whirring noise that I could hear in the cabin but it wasn't anything major. Certainly didn't bug me much.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Not normal if you used the proper grease. Let me guess - trailer bearing grease?

Shit, no idea what kind of grease, whatever was in my buddies grease gun. If I used the wrong grease what can I do about it now that they are already greased? Can I just re-grease the outside of the bushings? As I assume it's that, not the inner grease that causes the squeaks? And what is the best grease to use?

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Synthetic grease. And don't buy Valvoline, it separates in the tube dripping all over the place and in 9 months what's left is hard as a rock. Pure garbage. Last time I bought Mobil1 synthetic grease (limited options at Advanced Auto) and it's working very nicely.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I will look for that stuff. You think if I pull the LCA's out and re-grease the outside of the bushings with the proper grease I'll be good? Can't change what's inside obviously...

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
Energy suspension grease is also a good and popular choice. I'm pretty sure it's lithium based as well.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Actually changing what's inside is as easy as pumping a few more squirts of grease in there. The new grease pushes out the old grease. Be prepared with some rags to wipe up the mess.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Actually changing what's inside is as easy as pumping a few more squirts of grease in there. The new grease pushes out the old grease. Be prepared with some rags to wipe up the mess.

True, I will pump new stuff in, and wipe new stuff on the outsides after cleaning off the other crap. Thanks...

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thanks guys, will pick some up and re-grease over the weekend.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I will give you my opinion - don't use anything that comes in a tube from the auto parts store. None of it is meant to grease suspension bushings. You need dedicated bushing grease from Energy Suspension or Prothane. It's extremely tacky and thick, and is made to grease bushings - not ball joints. If you choose to use the stuff in a tube, you'll have squeaks back in a matter of months. Do it right this time.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Formula-5-Prelube-Bushing-Lube.asp

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
With my poly bushing lower control arms I get a creak going up an uneven surface. That is with Super Lube synthetic grease.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I will give you my opinion - don't use anything that comes in a tube from the auto parts store. None of it is meant to grease suspension bushings. You need dedicated bushing grease from Energy Suspension or Prothane. It's extremely tacky and thick, and is made to grease bushings - not ball joints. If you choose to use the stuff in a tube, you'll have squeaks back in a matter of months. Do it right this time.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Formula-5-Prelube-Bushing-Lube.asp
Okay, but how do you get that stuff in the zerk fittings to fill them up? I can see rubbing this on the outside of the bushings, is that what you mean?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Youll have to buy a tube and use a grease gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back