Noisy 3650. Is the end near?

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, got a question for those that may of had or have a noisy 3650. I swapped out my clutch about 3 weeks or so ago and it was perfect for about a week. It then developed hard shifting into 2nd and 3rd at higher rpms. Thought it was the slave, re bled it. No change, but then I noticed the noise.

I had initially filled it with Lucas Oil's equivelant to Mercon V with a half bottle of their trans conditioner. Drained it out, filled it with Motorcraft Merc V, no change. Drained it and now running Penzoil Synchromesh fluid (didn't feel like spending $18 a quart on Royal Purples stuff), and it does work a little better.

I know the trans is in need of an R&R now. I'm sure it's the synchros and a bearing making noise now. Kind of my fault on that also. I never did a fluid change on the trans in the 140k miles that I've put on the car. It kind of sounds like my old GForce T5 with straight cut gears I had in my old Fox 5.0.

Guess my question is for those of you who have or have had a noisy 3650, how long did it last or how long has it lasted since the noises came to you? I can't afford a swap, nor even a rebuild at the moment. Just trying to gauge how much time I may have. Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
Hey fellas, got a question for those that may of had or have a noisy 3650. I swapped out my clutch about 3 weeks or so ago and it was perfect for about a week. It then developed hard shifting into 2nd and 3rd at higher rpms. Thought it was the slave, re bled it. No change, but then I noticed the noise.

I had initially filled it with Lucas Oil's equivelant to Mercon V with a half bottle of their trans conditioner. Drained it out, filled it with Motorcraft Merc V, no change. Drained it and now running Penzoil Synchromesh fluid (didn't feel like spending $18 a quart on Royal Purples stuff), and it does work a little better.

I know the trans is in need of an R&R now. I'm sure it's the synchros and a bearing making noise now. Kind of my fault on that also. I never did a fluid change on the trans in the 140k miles that I've put on the car. It kind of sounds like my old GForce T5 with straight cut gears I had in my old Fox 5.0.

Guess my question is for those of you who have or have had a noisy 3650, how long did it last or how long has it lasted since the noises came to you? I can't afford a swap, nor even a rebuild at the moment. Just trying to gauge how much time I may have. Thanks fellas.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well. Mine whines terribly.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well. Mine whines terribly.

I have been following the thread you put up about your troubles also. I am curious to see what is actually different from the S197 3650's, the SN95 3650's, and Tremec's aftermarket 3650 (TKO or be it whatever else). I know the obvious is the remote shifter and what not. Where we skimmed on with the internals? My buddy has an 02 GT that is Kenne Belled and been beat the crap out of. Still turning gears perfectly through his stock 3650. Definitely a fucked way to keep production costs down for Ford if that is the case...

GoneFord

forum member
Reaction score
Mine recently started whining between shifts. I'm concerned it might be going on me. I'm at 30K without any track time. But I've been boosted since 2.5K on the clock.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Start socking money away for a swap. You can get a TR6060 for about $2K-$2500 total or go for the brass ring and get a T56 Magnum from JPC. I went with the T56 in anticipation of future power requirements and wanting to get away from the remote shifter setup.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Check your local junk yards. You may be able to score a used 3650 for a decent price. Probably less than me shipping you the one I have sitting in the garage.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check your local junk yards. You may be able to score a used 3650 for a decent price. Probably less than me shipping you the one I have sitting in the garage.

These salvage yard fucks out here in Cali think the trans are made of gold. If they only knew... I'm keepin your offer on mind, or I may just Frankenstein a TKO I know of... Got to research some more and well, save money...

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
You can have my solid running 3650 for $400 only has 60k miles on it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back