NYS emissions

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
So it’s been a few years since I gave up on trying to run an off road mid pipe. I tried different tunes and the non foulers but I can’t seem to pass the state emissions test without cats.
From what I know, the computer needs to read the rear o2s as in a ready state, and there is my problem. If they’re turned off, it just doesn’t work. If they’re turned on and I use the non foulers, it reads there’s too much flow. I’d really like to run long tubes with a cat less setup over my shortys/cats/prochamber setup.
Now that the cars off the road for the winter, I’ll have time to experiment if anyone has any ideas.
I’ve heard that NY is the same as Cali for emissions but I don’t have any issues with the Paxton/Detroit Rocker setup as Brenspeed said I wouldn’t pass in Cali.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
NYC/Metro? Upstate? Different tests.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Check out their Stainless steel mini cat cell fix. Made for catless exhaust setups, like LT's and catless X or catless H.

It's a tiny mini cat, that goes into where your rear O2 sensors reside. Then oem rear O2 sensors plug into the mini cat. Keeps the ecu happy.

They also make SS non foulers... in both a SS straight design, and also a SS right angle design. The right angle design non fouler uses a SS locking nut, so the right angle assy, can be swiveled 360 degs. You can also plug their straight non fouler into the end of their right angle non fouler, in case the total length of the right angle non fouler is not long enough.

For your application, their mini cat would be the bomb. Made esp for catless setups. Then it all works, ecu is happy..cuz it .."see's " the "cats". All fine + dandy... provided your jurisdiction doesn't look under the car and see no large cats... or if they stuff a sniffer into either one or both tail pipes...and measure high emissions.

With a catless mid section, and rear O2 sensors shut off in the tune, and state inspections, you are dead in the water. They will see that the rear O2's are shut off asap. With the mini cat, it all looks normal and rear o2's are left on.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Are these used just for cell fixes or will they also pass ECU/OBDII port emissions testing as well ?

They say it will easily pass ECU / OBDII testing. The oem rear O2s are plugged into the mini cats....so the ecu is still seeing the correct signal from the rear o2 sensors. The only difference is.... the mini cat is not functioning like a real, full sized cat, since it's (A) a tiny thing...and (B) it's hanging off to one side, being plugged into the rear O2 bungs.

In essence, you still end up with loads of noxious emissions coming out the tail pipes, but the ecu / OBDII is happy, since you fooled it with the mini cat + oem rear o2 sensors.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
NYC/Metro? Upstate? Different tests.

Upstate

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

For your application, their mini cat would be the bomb. Made esp for catless setups. Then it all works, ecu is happy..cuz it .."see's " the "cats". All fine + dandy... provided your jurisdiction doesn't look under the car and see no large cats... or if they stuff a sniffer into either one or both tail pipes...and measure high emissions
I’ll definitely check this out

I have the OBD test. No sniffer, and no worries about the visual, I can get past that part.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
They say it will easily pass ECU / OBDII testing. The oem rear O2s are plugged into the mini cats....so the ecu is still seeing the correct signal from the rear o2 sensors. The only difference is.... the mini cat is not functioning like a real, full sized cat, since it's (A) a tiny thing...and (B) it's hanging off to one side, being plugged into the rear O2 bungs.

In essence, you still end up with loads of noxious emissions coming out the tail pipes, but the ecu / OBDII is happy, since you fooled it with the mini cat + oem rear o2 sensors.

So if the mini cat doesn't function like a real, full sized cat.. How does it function any different from a non-fouler ? If non-foulers function in the same way and can also pass ECU/OBDII port emissions testing, then how does the mini cat provide a better alternative over non-foulers :shrug:

Upstate

I’ll definitely check this out

I have the OBD test. No sniffer, and no worries about the visual, I can get past that part.

Same here, as I only have the OBDII test as well.. If these mini cats are truly effective in passing the ECU/OBDII emissions test, they're most definitely worth checking out for sure :waytogo:

If you can remember where you got them from ? I'd be very interested in checking out the vendor/manufacturers website for further info..

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You have to pass three parts of the test, which does not have a sniffer component. First the car has to pass the OBD-II plug in test (1996 and newer) which is a system readiness test and not have any codes on or in storage. Second you have to pass the safety portion (brakes, horn, lights tires, etc...) and lastly the visual inspection. If the inspector does not see the original catalytics he is supposed to fail you. Any catalytic other than original is "outlawed" now per a recent law change. Aftermarket is not ok now.

Longtubes will be an immediate fail most likely.

https://dmv.ny.gov/org/inspection/inspection-requirements
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
You have to pass three parts of the test, which does not have a sniffer component. First the car has to pass the OBD-II plug in test (1996 and newer) which is a system readiness test and not have any codes on or in storage. Second you have to pass the safety portion (brakes, horn, lights tires, etc...) and lastly the visual inspection. If the inspector does not see the original catalytics he is supposed to fail you. Any catalytic other than original is "outlawed" now per a recent law change. Aftermarket is not ok now.

Longtubes will be an immediate fail most likely.

https://dmv.ny.gov/org/inspection/inspection-requirements
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

If NYS has an emissions exemption law in which if the vehicle in question has 5000 miles per year or less, is the vehicle still required to pass the visual inspection or can it pass under the emissions exemption law without being required to pass the visual inspection as far as the original catalytic converters are concerned ?

Last edited:

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
If NYS has an emissions exemption law in which if the vehicle in question has 5000 miles per year or less, is the vehicle still required to pass the visual inspection or can it pass under the emissions exemption law without being required to pass the visual inspection as far as the original catalytic converters are concerned ?

Where do you see the emissions exemption for a vehicle with less than 5k per year? I thought it was only if the vehicle is less than 2 years old, then after it’s 25 years old.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
How does "too much flow" matter? With no sniffer all they care about is the monitors showing as passed or not available. As far as the latter goes you may not be able to get away with that any more depending on where you live.

Getting the monitors to finish without cats is possible though extremely difficult. If it were me and you can't get by with the monitors showing as not available then the cats would be back on permanently or I'd move.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Where do you see the emissions exemption for a vehicle with less than 5k per year? I thought it was only if the vehicle is less than 2 years old, then after it’s 25 years old.

Never said I saw an emissions exemption law for a vehicle with less than 5k per year.. I asked specifically if NYS has it.. Here in PA if a vehicle has 5k or less per year, it qualifies under PA state emission exemption law regardless if it's under 2 years old or well over that.. Also If the vehicle is registered in a rural area/county, they're automatically exempt from emissions testing altogether no matter what the mileage happens to be..

Being that I haven't lived in NYS for over 30+ years, I wasn't quite sure what the state emission requirement laws have been since then.. Therefore I assumed that just perhaps NYS may have similar exemption requirements as PA has which was my reason for asking to begin with..

At any rate, I now stand corrected..

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No exemption for mileage. If the vehicle is 25 years old or older it only requires a safety inspection (brakes, horn, lights tires, etc...) until 2021 when the 1996 becomes 25 years old. At that point I think the safety only ends for 25 year old cars that are 1996 and newer, unless it has historical plates. Not sure how enforcement will handle this yet.

If it is 2 years old or less is also gets safety only, but at 3 years it gets the the OBD-II and safety.

The only emissions exemption is if it fails you can get a waiver for one year if you spend at least $450 trying to "fix" it. You're supposed to keep records and invoices for what you bought to "fix" it and stuff. I think you can do this only once or twice.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll have to wait until my 2006 GT becomes 25 years old before moving back to anywhere in NYS lol.

You would still have to pass the OBD-II plug in test. Unless, you then also got historical plates. And good ol' NY has rules for using those too.

You can get these special plates if it "is used only as a collector’s item or exhibition piece, and not for daily transportation." and it requires insurance cards that have "historical" printed on them. So collector car insurance and not regular insurance. There used to be annual mileage limits for them too, but that verbage has disappeared in the past few years. Daily transport is kind of a grey area.

You could take it to mean you don't drive it to work regularly. And then what's regularly? Once a month every month is regular. Does that qualify? nobody knows. Taking it to the store for milk, is that daily transport? It's pretty vague.

If I drive it to work,then go straight to a cruise night (which I can do at lest four out of five workdays) do I run afoul of the rules?

You can excuse almost any situation that might come up.

All these rules are why I bought a '93 GT last spring. I'm 25 years old and safety only in less than 2 months. I have been thinking about getting historical registration and plates and then getting a set of plates from the year of manufacturer. You can run ANY plate from the year of manufacturer. I found out that in 1993 NY made dealer plates single plates not two plates. So I could run one rear plate if I run a year of manufacturer dealer plate on a historical registration.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
pentalab put up the links in the 3rd post for those right for the mini cats and right angle.

Here I just have OBD testing, no safety, no visual. My one car has an exemption status. Here you can get classic car or classic rod plates which exempt you from smog. Your car has to be 25 years old or older and be driven less than 5K miles a year.

They are supposed to do a visual on the odometer but I have always just sent in a picture with a time stamp.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
You would still have to pass the OBD-II plug in test. Unless, you then also got historical plates. And good ol' NY has rules for using those too.

You can get these special plates if it "is used only as a collector’s item or exhibition piece, and not for daily transportation." and it requires insurance cards that have "historical" printed on them. So collector car insurance and not regular insurance. There used to be annual mileage limits for them too, but that verbage has disappeared in the past few years. Daily transport is kind of a grey area.

You could take it to mean you don't drive it to work regularly. And then what's regularly? Once a month every month is regular. Does that qualify? nobody knows. Taking it to the store for milk, is that daily transport? It's pretty vague.

If I drive it to work,then go straight to a cruise night (which I can do at lest four out of five workdays) do I run afoul of the rules?

You can excuse almost any situation that might come up.

All these rules are why I bought a '93 GT last spring. I'm 25 years old and safety only in less than 2 months. I have been thinking about getting historical registration and plates and then getting a set of plates from the year of manufacturer. You can run ANY plate from the year of manufacturer. I found out that in 1993 NY made dealer plates single plates not two plates. So I could run one rear plate if I run a year of manufacturer dealer plate on a historical registration.

Then I suppose the only way of getting around it, is by reinstalling the original catted mid section just prior to inspection.. What I also don't understand is once a 2006 vehicle is 25 years and older, how in God's name will NYS still require it to pass OBDII testing.. Hell by then OBD II testing will long be obsolete, non-existent along with OEM original catalyst components as well.. Doesn't make any sense as far as I'm concerned :laughlots:

pentalab put up the links in the 3rd post for those right for the mini cats and right angle.

Are his the same ones as you have or different ?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back