OEM heated seats retrofit

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully retrofitted oem heated seats?

I have 2010 seats on my 2007. When I was installing the seats I had to purchase a new wiring harness because they were powered passenger seats with heaters. Everything plugged in and the power seats worked.

Now I've installed the center hvac with heated seats buttons and also put the fuse for it but it doesn't work!

The button lights up but the seats don't get warm/heat?

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this also, I'd even do aftermarket if it was a quality set up.
I'm following along to see where this goes.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Just eat a lot of Taco Bell. That'll heat them up!!

farting.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
There is probable a relay that supply's the power or the SJB has to have it setup. I think my 07 seats had a 10 min. time limiter on the heat.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
I put heated seats in my '05 earlier this year and used the factory buttons. However, I did all my own wiring following the diagram that I'll attach below. This thread on themustangsource is what I used as a guide:

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/help-adding-factory-heated-seat-option-516962/

Instead of pulling power from the main fusebox in the engine bay, I pulled from the passenger kick panel. I used 2 add-a-fuse's... one for each seat... to keep them independent of each other and make sure the amp draw was low. I would also recommend putting the heated pads in parallel instead of series. In series the voltage dropped off so much that my pads weren't producing any heat that could be felt... in parallel they get nice and warm in about a minute.

Attachments

• SKMBT_75113051509480.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 42

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
OK so I was lucky enough to source a wiring harness for my driver side. Now I can't find the relay box that everyone says it's in the driver side firewall.

Anyone know where this box is located??

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I put heated seats in my '05 earlier this year and used the factory buttons. However, I did all my own wiring following the diagram that I'll attach below. This thread on themustangsource is what I used as a guide:

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/help-adding-factory-heated-seat-option-516962/

Instead of pulling power from the main fusebox in the engine bay, I pulled from the passenger kick panel. I used 2 add-a-fuse's... one for each seat... to keep them independent of each other and make sure the amp draw was low. I would also recommend putting the heated pads in parallel instead of series. In series the voltage dropped off so much that my pads weren't producing any heat that could be felt... in parallel they get nice and warm in about a minute.

I put heated seats (aftermarket heating elements) in my car (2006GT) over 3 years ago. Only used one add-a-circuit from SJB. Not enough amp draw with both on high to trip the fuse. Added some to my daughters mustang (2012V6) 2 years ago. Same setup. This is a parallel setup. I am not sure how the hell you could do a series setup - takes much more effort.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
The relays on cars with OEM heated seats are going to be located behind the headlight switch/knob assembly. Pop the assembly out from the dash and see if you can find the relays back there or a place to plug them in to.

At least that's the information I found when I did my retrofit. None of the wiring was there in my '05. It might be different on '07+

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Subb'd - I'm curious to this as well since I want to add them to my 09.

What were you using for the seats to work before installing the oem HVAC plate with the buttons? Just regular rocker switches?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sorry, read that wrong. Thought you said you plugged it in and worked, but you were referring to the power seat function.

I can't find a straight answer online with anyone who did it with the OEM buttons, and with a GT500, at that, since the GT500's use the heated seat fuse for the I/C pump IIRC.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a walkthrough of how I installed heated seats into my 2005 Mustang GT using the OEM climate control module with heated seat buttons, and doing all of the wiring myself WITHOUT using any factory harnesses. The pictures were taken afterwards, so they are not the best.

First, take a look at the PDF of the wiring diagram attached at the bottom of this post. Here's an overview of the diagram: You will need a power source from the fuse box, either in the engine bay or from the passenger kick panel. This power will need to be split 4 ways, with 2 power wires going to each of 2 relays. From each relay you will have one wire going into the climate control module, and one going to your heated seat pad elements. Then, a ground wire coming from the elements to a grounding point.

STEP 1 - Locate a power source.

I chose to use the passenger kick panel fuse box. I used two (2) mini add-a-fuse's to have one for each seat. You could get by with one (1) if you wanted to. Here are my add-a-fuse's installed in the kick panel fuse box:
01F1Bg6.jpg

STEP 2 - Mount the relays.

Find a suitable place to mount your two (2) relays. I choose a metal bracket on the passenger side of the radio stack. To get to it, you'll have to remove the center console and the plastic panel beside the radio. I just used some double-sided foam tape to stick them on there. Here are mine mounted:
07eWpVk.jpg

STEP 3 - Run power to the relays.

You will need to run power to the relays. Run a wire from add-a-fuse(s) up to wear your relays are. If you used one (1) add-a-fuse, you will need to split your power 4 ways. If you used two (2) add-a-fuses, you will need to split each wire 2 ways. Either way, you need to end up with 4 power wires where your relays are.

Attach your power wires to pins on the relays that *should* be labeled 30 and 86. If you used two add-a-fuses like I did, make sure to keep the pair of split wires together so that the pair is feeding only one relay. Using some crimp female spade connectors makes this easy to do.
sIFuyEC.jpg

STEP 4 - Connect the signal wire to the climate control module.

Notice in the above picture the two pink/gold spade connectors. These are on pin 85 of each relay. The green and pink wires coming off of these go to pins 12 and 13 of the harness plug that goes into the climate control module. One for the driver side, and one for the passenger side.

Now, it is likely that you will look at the harness plug, and there will be no wires in pins 12 and 13. You will need to go to a junkyard, find this plug from a donor car, and cut the plug leaving as much wire as possible coming from the plug. You'll then need to disassemble the plug and pull a couple of the wires out. You'll use these donor wires to make the connection between pin 85 on each relay to pins 12 and 13 of the harness plug in your car.

Below is the plug you want to pull from a donor car. It's called a "C294a" and plugs into the back of your climate control switches on the passenger side. Cut it back as far as possible so you have plenty of wire length to work with.
jEeTmHM.jpg

Next, you want to remove the plug from it's housing. Use a small screwdriver or pocket knife to lift up on the tab circled in red, and the plug should slide right out. It's hard to see in the picture, but the #1 and #13 wires will be labeled on the plug itself. On the opposite side, #14 and #26 will be labeled, but we don't care about those. We're interested in 12 and 13, which are in the red rectangle.
EZOStq5.jpg

To remove your donor wires, stick your knife or screwdriver in the hole of the wire you want to remove and gently lift up while simultaneously pulling the wire out.
vQvW8Zb.jpg

Here's what the wire will look like after it's removed. You'll need to do it again so you have two donor wires. Insert your two wires into slots 12 and 13 of the plug in your own car. Then connect them to pin 85 of the relays. The relay connected to pin 12 is the driver side relay. The relay connected to pin 13 is the passenger side relay now. You might want to label the relays at this point to keep track of which is which.
nfo6Dbl.jpg

STEP 5 - Run power from the relays to the seats.

Use a female spade connector to attach a wire from pin 87 of each relay and run it to the hole in the carpet underneath each seat. Make sure you have the driver relay going to the driver side, and the passenger relay going to the passenger side.

To get to the hole, I ran the wire for each side out under the dash, down behind the kick panels, and under the door sill on each side.

STEP 6 - Connect power to the heated seat pad elements.

I bought a cheap heated seat kit off of Amazon. It came with 4 pads and its own complete wiring harness. I just used the pads and cut the connectors off the included harness. You'll need to find a way to connect the power wire you ran coming out of the carpet to your pad elements. There are multiple ways to do this. Assuming you have two pads in a seat, you'll probably want to put them in parallel. I tried series first (as they're shown in the OEM Ford wiring diagram) and I could feel any heat. The picture below shows the connections I made for one seat. Notice the red power wire splits to the two white wires providing power to each pad element.
8RdhIBc.jpg

STEP 7 - Connect your grounds.

You'll need to ground your pad elements. In the picture above, the blue and black wires of my pad elements come down to a single black wire that goes back through the hole in the carpet. There are grounding points behind the kick panels on both the driver and passenger sides.

STEP 8 - Install the pad elements in the seats.

There's plenty of other DIY's on how to remove the seats and seat covers. You'll need to take the covers off, stick the elements on, then put the covers back on and replace the seats in the car. Then connect the pads to plugs you installed, or whatever setup you came up with in Step 6. This is also a great time to give your seat covers a thorough cleaning or replace them.

STEP 9 - Try it out.

With all your wires ran, connections made, and plugs plugged in... turn the key on, push your OEM heated seat button (I'll assume you already swapped out climate control module for the one with the heated seats buttons. If not.. do it before you button everything back up), and hope for the best. Mine take about a minute to heat up. With the OEM switch, they should stay on for ~10 minutes and then automatically turn off.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so for a fact you can't retrofit OEM heated seats with OEM buttons because the entire dash harness is different or rather missing the heated seat relay box.

I've gotten has far as installing full power heated 2010 GT driver/pass seats and HVAC control with heated seat buttons but my dash wiring does not have the relay box which is non-serviceable.

21bc8dd62683f1b38f390b323982c41a.jpg

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Now, that makes so much sense that the 07-09 GT500 doesn't have heated seats, but shares the same dash wiring harness as a GT (w/ no Heated Seats).

When I did my 5.4 swap, my dash harness plugged right in with no issues, but I was curious to know what dash harness I needed to plug in the GT500 cluster to use that analog boost gauge. Turned out that the dash harness I had worked with it already.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Brick - There are two plugs that plug into the HVAC module. A square plug on the driver side and a rectangular one on the passenger side. Pin 12 & 13 are in which harness?

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Brick - There are two plugs that plug into the HVAC module. A square plug on the driver side and a rectangular one on the passenger side. Pin 12 & 13 are in which harness?

They're in the rectangular one on the passenger side, called a "C294a" plug.

I updated my walkthrough post with more pictures of this plug in Step 4, and how to disassemble it and remove the wires you need from a donor car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back