OEM HID bulb question

2008BlueGT

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been looking online for quite a while trying to find out the type of bulb that comes in the OEM HID kit on my 2008 Mustang GT... I think I found it but I'm not totally sure, I would like some reassurance.. Is it D3R?

Also, for the color temperature on that bulb, is it something around 4300K?

I have aftermarket turn signals with LED bulbs in them, and I was trying to figure out what temperature they were and how I can match my headlights to them because they are a little off.. The LED bulbs look a little blueish so I'm guessing they are 6000K but could be 8000k??

So could I just get a different bulb for the headlight at that temperature to match it? Do I need to look for something that does low beam and high beam or would this bulb work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/D3S-D3R-OME...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the help..

Here is a picture
turnsignalcolor.jpg

r0ng5

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 20113, so different situation. But I did try to match my headlights with the LED fogs and the LED DRL stripes. I ended up using 5000k and it was close enough.

Now, given that you have aftermarket LEDs .. It's gonna be hard. Without being there is person and just going off of experience... with 6000k or 8000k aftermarket bulbs, you'll get more of a full-bodied bluish tint when compared to the LEDs in your turn signals. You'll never get a direct match. With that said, I'm guessing that actually 10000k or 12000k will match better (according to picture). I usually never recommend anything that high bc you lose a lot of light output and it looks ricey as hell... But that's your best bet

2008BlueGT

forum member
Reaction score
maybe I would be better off getting different LED's for the turn signals to match closer to the headlights.. not sure if the fact that the turn signals are tinted makes them look a little darker of a blue? here's another pic from the front where they don't look as blue
turnsignalcolor2.jpg

what kind of trouble did you have with them? fitment? or something else?

Yes D3R is the correct bulb....

I had order a aftermarket set for my OEM hid headlight awhile back. To be honest I had nothing but trouble from them and ended up going back to OEM.

http://www.venomousstangz.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_85&products_id=137

Last edited by a moderator:

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
what kind of trouble did you have with them? fitment? or something else?

Both... the tabs wouldnt line up correctly so I had to modify it a bit. Then one of the lights ended up being just a tad different in color compared to the other. Sent them back and got another set and still had problems... then one wouldn't come on.

I eventually just gave up on them and put the stock ones back in...

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Did you end up finding a matching turn signal? I actually really want a switchback style, but all those online look very blue to me :(

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
If by switchback you mean lights up white, flashes amber, my friend has them on his Focus. They are amazing. Not blue at all, very white. I can ask him where he got his if you would like.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back