Off road H pipe install. Can it be done on jack stands?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Hi guys, going to be getting a Lethal off road H pipe soon. I was wondering if this install is doable without a lift? I am pretty decent at wrenching on my car, and can get a buddies help with it since I assume it is a two person job. I was just thinking if I should even try in my driveway on jack stands or does it need a lift for sure?
Thanks.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Got any ramps to drive front up on? They would help alot

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Got any ramps to drive front up on? They would help alot
Yup, I have a set of ramps to help out. I think I should be able to get it high enough, but not sure how much space I need to get the old one out and new one in. Plus it's not like my buddy and I are little dudes, he is 6' and I am 6' 2" and have to squeeze under there LOL.

I just asked here http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99402&page=2 what he thinks too.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
I did my X install on jack stands. Did it suck? Yes! But it got done haha.
I'm a big boy too. 6' 2" 260 lbs

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I thought I was okay at working on cars. I couldn't get the front nuts off for the life of me. Other than that, I could have easily done it on jack stands, and I'm 6 foot and fat as fuck.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I was okay at working on cars. I couldn't get the front nuts off for the life of me. Other than that, I could have easily done it on jack stands, and I'm 6 foot and fat as fuck.

Did you spray them?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Anyone try an impact on the nut you need to get from above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Never tried. Hence the query.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Did you spray them?

I sprayed them like the chick's face in a bukkake video. I've just got very large hands, and could not got to where I could apply the force needed.

Anyone try an impact on the nut you need to get from above?

I did for the one nut, but zipped it back on to take to the shop that does the work I can't, or don't want to do.

Can you use an impact on a 3 foot extension LOL?

Fun fact, you can! I broke it free by hand and zipped it off using a gun.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
I'm 6' 240lbs of a sexy mixture of fat and muscle. With that being said I did mine on jack stands in about an hour and thirty minutes pretty easily. Be sure to get the nuts off the front before hacking it up. I then just put jack stands under the rear axles and the frame in the front and it was smooth sailing from there.

foxxxtman

forum member
Reaction score
Having taken my stock pipe off, put an O/R-H on, taken it back off to find the leak, put it back on since I didn't feel like putting the stock back on, taken it back off for the new one that was received and then put that one back on all on ramps alone, I think it's safe to say it can easily be done with ramps alone. You can easily slide the pipe in and out from the front end, just make sure you slide it in facing the right way. I'm also 6'2" and 205 so I'm not super small.

Oh, and I done it completely alone..... by the 3rd time I done it I can probably whip that thing off and on in 30 or 45 minutes lol.

Last edited:

jsiss

Reaction score
another questionabout off road xpipe...

im planning on buying an o/r xpipe and i see the cat delete pipes, do i need to buy those? i was under the impression the o/rx wont need those at all... any help is appreciated! thanks

Ecko

Reaction score
im planning on buying an o/r xpipe and i see the cat delete pipes, do i need to buy those? i was under the impression the o/rx wont need those at all... any help is appreciated! thanks

Off road means no cats. no need for the deletes if your buying o/r x pipe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
I just did my o/r h pipe in the shop on jack stands, wasn't bad at all. Hardest part I had was getting to the top o2 connector to get it off. Ended up taking out my battery (makes it so much easier) I'm not a small guy by any means (5'10 250lbs) an start to finish it took me roughly 1-2 hours

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I left the O2 sensors connected at the harness and twisted the sensor out at the pipe. Worked fine. The driver side O2 was going to be a bitch to get unsnapped from what I could see so I said F it.

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
I left the O2 sensors connected at the harness and twisted the sensor out at the pipe. Worked fine. The driver side O2 was going to be a bitch to get unsnapped from what I could see so I said F it.

Same here just twisted gently, then had to retwixt to put them back in so the wires would be straight.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
ive done 3 x pipes on jacks stands by myself. jack the car under the k member up and high as you can get it. if you only have two stands. i had mine up till my tailpipes damn near hit the ground. if you can get it up, its easy. . the second time i threw two stands under the rear axle and raised it up a ways, them up with the front and i had plenty of room. just dropped the stock h on my chest and used my kneees to support the rear sectoion, then rolled it off the side of me and pushed it out from under the car

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I did it on jackstands too, just 2 stands, no problems. I'm 6'1 235 lbs. My o/r x was one piece and thus had to have the wife come in and hold one side while bolting on the 2nd side in order to get it on better. I could have probably done it with the floor jack but it was easier with the 2nd set of hands.

Back