*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

It was done 5 hours early! I even reduced the temp after I put it in a pan and wrapped it. I get up this morning and the temp is 204. It's good, but I didn't expect pork for breakfast (not that I'm complaining).

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1.5 hours into some spare ribs. Using the 3-2-1 method for the first time. They look damned good do far!

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
The 321 is my favorite method on my Traeger for baby backs. 3 hr smoke, 2 hrs wrapped in a foil tent topped off with more seasoning and some dark beer for moisture and flavor. Unwrap then back on the grate for 1 hour. Perfect! Glad I saw this post. I've got a rack in the freezer i need to thaw for Sunday!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try again next week. They were good but not great. I had some at the Music City Food and Wine Festival last weekend that were the best I've ever had. I want to be able to do that.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I prefer my ribs just slow smoked to the proper temp and then wrapped for about an hour. I have never had good luck with the 3-2-1 method but I prefer baby backs to full ribs, so that could be a factor.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I prefer my ribs just slow smoked to the proper temp and then wrapped for about an hour. I have never had good luck with the 3-2-1 method but I prefer baby backs to full ribs, so that could be a factor.

My understanding is baby backs should use a 2-2-1 method.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I smoke them for 4 hours, wrap them for 30-45 minutes, then sauce them and leave them unwrap them for about 30-45 minutes. I also don't use any charcoal. I'm an all wood smoker (mostly hickory)! My last two racks have been perfect. It has taken me quite a few years to get them exactly where I want them.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
First smoke underway. Question is after adding more wood the flames get big and give me high temps I cant control. Any idea what im doing wrong?

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
First smoke underway. Question is after adding more wood the flames get big and give me high temps I cant control. Any idea what im doing wrong?

you're allowing too much air in and to escape. Close the flue down, this will make it smoke a little harder. Close the fire box down and use the heavy smoke to kill the flames and drop temperatures to a sustainable smoking temp. Once the smoke has snuffed the fire slowly open the flue and adjust temps. Remember it takes 2-5 min for the affects of your adjustment to be noticed. Only adjust one end at a time flue/fire box until you are comfortable with your smoker.

Last edited:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
^ this guy knows how to smoke. All good advice there.

Have you guys checked out the traegers? I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Should also get a charcoal box or make one that is big enough for your fire box.I have one that snakes around letting only a certain amount of charcoal and wood chips burn. Something similar to this.

c-method-2.jpg

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Well its not tender enough that I could pull it off the bone, but for my first attempt its pretty darn good. The bark was delicious and even the wife cant stop eating it. Cant wait to try again

6f8fd8e7466613fc4e07ae83ca4321b4.jpg

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well its not tender enough that I could pull it off the bone, but for my first attempt its pretty darn good. The bark was delicious and even the wife cant stop eating it. Cant wait to try again

6f8fd8e7466613fc4e07ae83ca4321b4.jpg

If it isn't falling off the bone (or more accurately, you can't pull the bone out) then you didn't smoke it long enough. What temp did you pull it off at?

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
180. I know it wasnt the ideal temp, but I did read in several places that 170 is an edible temp. I did let it sit in a cooler while I made my potatoes. I could have let it smoke longer but I was growing impatient and the wife kept asking when it would be done. I had a couple hiccups throughout the day with low temps. I ending up running to walmart and got some lump charcoal. Put it in a chimney starter to heat it up before throwing it in the firebox.(had to do that a few times) That ended up working pretty good and I was able to maintain good temps. All in all a good first experience, still got some learning to do on fire and temp control

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only way to control temps, when you add more wood is by reducing the airflow through the cooker. As Jewc75 shows, a ribbon type fire is easier to control because you don't have to keep opening the box to add wood. Next time you do a butt put a good rub on it, I can offer a good recipe if you like, wrap it in saran wrap and let it sit in the fridge over night. Get your fire and your smoke going and stabilized at 225°-250°. You want your wood smoke a blue color not white, which you get when you first get the wood started. You don't really need much wood smoke after about 2 hrs into the cook because the meat has absorbed most of what it will at that point. Soaking your wood is pretty much a waste of time http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html Just use it dry. Let it cook at the 225°-250° until it reaches 195° in the thickest part of the butt. Pull it off, wrap it in foil, then some old towels and put it in a cooler for at least 1 hr. It will be good in the cooler for up to about 4 hrs, so it's easy to have it ready ahead of time. when you take it out of the cooler it will still be very hot and you can pull it to your hearts content.

How long did your cook take? You only cooked it to 180° and that's the internal for slicing pork not pulling pork. I much prefer lump charcoal and I stopped using briquettes a long time ago. Lump cooks at a higher temp and is almost ash less. I got tired of cleaning all the ash out of my cookers from the briquettes.

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
This is a pig, sausage and a couple briskets I did for our party this past summer. Everything turned out excellent.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

Here is my new rig I got a few weeks ago. I've been getting used to it as I've only used offsets in the past.

20141122_080212.jpg

20141122_080225.jpg

20141122_080141.jpg

20141123_115400.jpg

20141207_181141.jpg

And the Turkey I did for Thanksgiving.

20141127_115800.jpg

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
6-2

I have a counter top roaster oven that is large turkey size. I cook my baby backs at 25-275 for 5-6 hrs, then on the smoker for 2-3 hrs at 200. Come out better than ANY smokehouse I've eaten at. I am a daily round southern boy that knows good ribs. Of course ribs get a good rubbin and my secret sauce that starts with Sweet Baby Rays sauce for the base. Ummm umm y'all....lol

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
The only way to control temps, when you add more wood is by reducing the airflow through the cooker. As Jewc75 shows, a ribbon type fire is easier to control because you don't have to keep opening the box to add wood. Next time you do a butt put a good rub on it, I can offer a good recipe if you like, wrap it in saran wrap and let it sit in the fridge over night. Get your fire and your smoke going and stabilized at 225°-250°. You want your wood smoke a blue color not white, which you get when you first get the wood started. You don't really need much wood smoke after about 2 hrs into the cook because the meat has absorbed most of what it will at that point. Soaking your wood is pretty much a waste of time http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html Just use it dry. Let it cook at the 225°-250° until it reaches 195° in the thickest part of the butt. Pull it off, wrap it in foil, then some old towels and put it in a cooler for at least 1 hr. It will be good in the cooler for up to about 4 hrs, so it's easy to have it ready ahead of time. when you take it out of the cooler it will still be very hot and you can pull it to your hearts content.

How long did your cook take? You only cooked it to 180° and that's the internal for slicing pork not pulling pork. I much prefer lump charcoal and I stopped using briquettes a long time ago. Lump cooks at a higher temp and is almost ash less. I got tired of cleaning all the ash out of my cookers from the briquettes.
Thanks for the tips, I did put a rub on it and the total cook time was about 8hrs, but my temps did fluctuate at times. So when I need to add more charcoal do I just add new pieces directly to the fire or do I need to heat it up and get it ashed over before adding?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back