*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will get some pics of the baby back ribs next time I smoke. I used to use a Weber bullet but my old man gave me a Green Mountain pellet grill and it makes things so much easier. I smoke ribs for about 5-5 1/2 hours with no foil at 225, I tried the foil method and it makes them mushy like they came out of a crock pot. I like mine where they have a little tug to them but can still pull of the bone in one piece.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I did put a rub on it and the total cook time was about 8hrs, but my temps did fluctuate at times. So when I need to add more charcoal do I just add new pieces directly to the fire or do I need to heat it up and get it ashed over before adding?

I'm not that up on side smokers, as I haven't used one for many years. I would just add the wood, for smoke and watch the temps to make sure they don't go up too much. If you build your fire correctly you shouldn't need to add more wood for smoke. You can spread chunks around the charcoal so that hey start burning when the charcoal does.

I will get some pics of the baby back ribs next time I smoke. I used to use a Weber bullet but my old man gave me a Green Mountain pellet grill and it makes things so much easier. I smoke ribs for about 5-5 1/2 hours with no foil at 225, I tried the foil method and it makes them mushy like they came out of a crock pot. I like mine where they have a little tug to them but can still pull of the bone in one piece.

That's the same way I like my ribs, like I said earlier I prefer mine cooked without doing the foil wrap.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
I'm not that up on side smokers, as I haven't used one for many years. I would just add the wood, for smoke and watch the temps to make sure they don't go up too much. If you build your fire correctly you shouldn't need to add more wood for smoke. You can spread chunks around the charcoal so that hey start burning when the charcoal does.

That's the same way I like my ribs, like I said earlier I prefer mine cooked without doing the foil wrap.
Im talking about the charcoal. All I see on the internet is not cook with charcoal until its ashed over to prevent the creosote.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats not true, if it was people wouldnt be able to use the charcoal boxes. What kind of grille are you using?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does it have any air leaks? The flue on the lid, how low does the outlet pipe hang down?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fix the leaks with fireplace rope and use dryer duct to lower the outlet to grille level. Helps keep the heat and smoke in.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just use lump charcoal and you won't have any problems adding more. Lump is much better, due to cleaner burning with no additives like briquettes.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
First smoke underway. Question is after adding more wood the flames get big and give me high temps I cant control. Any idea what im doing wrong?

Are you using chips or chucks?

you're allowing too much air in and to escape. Close the flue down, this will make it smoke a little harder. Close the fire box down and use the heavy smoke to kill the flames and drop temperatures to a sustainable smoking temp. Once the smoke has snuffed the fire slowly open the flue and adjust temps. Remember it takes 2-5 min for the affects of your adjustment to be noticed. Only adjust one end at a time flue/fire box until you are comfortable with your smoker.

You shouldn't really close the exhaust. If you need to dial the temps down close off the inlet if possible. Choking the fire too much can can create some pretty nasty smoke that will ruin your food quickly. Just like an engine needing the proper AFR so does your smoker. The key to to create the proper fire to begin with and then just maintain. As somebody already mentioned you're looking for an almost invisible pale blue smoke for long cooks. That means you're getting a good combustion. Something that might only be on the smoker for a very short time you can choke the flame a little and create white smoke but don't go overboard as you might get a lot of creosote on the food.

Soak the chunks in a bucket of water for 30 min. Add a cup of your favorite whiskey if you want some extra pop in your smoke.

Soaking chunks is a waste of time. You won't get any penetration into the wood. I've had chucks submerged in water for days and never saw over 1/8" penetration. Also wet wood makes bad smoke. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

Well its not tender enough that I could pull it off the bone, but for my first attempt its pretty darn good. The bark was delicious and even the wife cant stop eating it. Cant wait to try again

Next time shoot for an internal temp of around 195-200.

I'm a "stick burner". I don't use charcoal at all and only use wood for cooking and smoking. For one it creates the best flavor and two it doesn't cost me shit because I cruise craigslist for people with downed hickory and pecan trees that just want the mess gone. I'm still using my last batch that I got over two years ago. I also have an offset smoker like yourself that gets frequent use. PM me if you have any questions.

Any people new to the science behind smoking and/or grilling should check out this website. It's very informative and tells you why things should be a certain way instead of just telling that is should be for no apparent reason. It also tells you myths from facts, check it out!

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/index.html

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
You shouldn't really close the exhaust. If you need to dial the temps down close off the inlet if possible. Choking the fire too much can can create some pretty nasty smoke that will ruin your food quickly. Just like an engine needing the proper AFR so does your smoker. The key to to create the proper fire to begin with and then just maintain. As somebody already mentioned you're looking for an almost invisible pale blue smoke for long cooks. That means you're getting a good combustion. Something that might only be on the smoker for a very short time you can choke the flame a little and create white smoke but don't go overboard as you might get a lot of creosote on the food.

Soaking chunks is a waste of time. You won't get any penetration into the wood. I've had chucks submerged in water for days and never saw over 1/8" penetration.

Sound advice, but everyone (Pit) has their own ways. We have been using this same smoker for 35 years, small hard wood fire in the box, soaked chunks (I like whiskey barrel chunks) every so often to smoke and maintain low heat. I agree if it's white, you are fucking up. The design of the smoker also dictates how you smoke. My flew is a big 10", so I can't open the flew all the way, it will either stoke the coals to a "Blaze" or if you are near the end and nursing coals it will pull all the heat out and stall the meat. Each pit will train the chef on operation lol.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Sound advice, but everyone (Pit) has their own ways. We have been using this same smoker for 35 years, small hard wood fire in the box, soaked chunks (I like whiskey barrel chunks) every so often to smoke and maintain low heat. I agree if it's white, you are fucking up. The design of the smoker also dictates how you smoke. My flew is a big 10", so I can't open the flew all the way, it will either stoke the coals to a "Blaze" or if you are near the end and nursing coals it will pull all the heat out and stall the meat. Each pit will train the chef on operation lol.

Man a 10" flue, your smoker must be huge. Got any pics?

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
It's over kill, but it's what was available 33+ years ago. This pit was built the year before I was born, I acquired it 10 years ago. The fire box was put on by my 13 year old brother in shop class this year. It's too big as well, but it was free. I can start 1 fire and cook for 12 hours before stoking the coals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-29-20-50-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-29-20-50-30.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 33

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
It's over kill, but it's what was available 33+ years ago. This pit was built the year before I was born, I acquired it 10 years ago. The fire box was put on by my 13 year old brother in shop class this year. It's too big as well, but it was free. I can start 1 fire and cook for 12 hours before stoking the coals.

Jesus that is a huge stack for that size smoker! The smoke looks great, pale blue smoke. My smoker is nothing special it's a Oklahoma Joe before they sold out to Charbroil. It's big enough for what I need it for. I'll be smoking some ribs on New Years Day. I'll be sure to take some pics.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Jesus that is a huge stack for that size smoker! The smoke looks great, pale blue smoke. My smoker is nothing special it's a Oklahoma Joe before they sold out to Charbroil. It's big enough for what I need it for. I'll be smoking some ribs on New Years Day. I'll be sure to take some pics.

I have plans of cutting a door in the stack and adding hooks for ham/sausage smoking. I have made jerky on here once, smoked the deer strips for 15 hours at 190-200*. It was some kinda special! The way my grandfather made this pit, the stack is 10" below the grill so it gives a nice smoke even when high heat grilling. After cooking on it for 10 years I just don't think I could do it on something smaller. A few brisket 5 chickens and a few racks of ribs.... No problem. There are baffles I can open or close to make cool/smoke zones while grilling on one end. Lots of Crown Royal and Lone Star beer engineering went into this. Lol. It was also full of butane when they removed the regulators from it. The tank showed 0 psi, best guess was it had about 150 gallons in it! Nearly killed my dad when the regulator took flight and the gas started to spew.

We have drug this pit all over the US cooking at cook offs, everyone always laughs at the old girl, till judging time! Sorry I'm rambling, I love this old pit.

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
I have an electric smoker. I tried to do some chicken breast with Mesquite wood at 190 degree. Took 6 hrs and they were way to smokey. I am going try this again at 225.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
190 is a bit too low. how much wood did you put on the element?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has tried it but if you like a dry rub, try Bad Byron's butt rub. It's the best seasoning I have found for pork shoulders and ribs so far.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back