Oil Filters

forum member
Reaction score
I use Motorcraft when possible and Wix when not...

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
The "anti-Fram" argument is well justified. The paper filter is garbage, that's been proven time and time again. The anti-drain back valve is crap, that's been proven time and time again.. Vehicles aren't going to just blow up from this the day after the oil filter is installed.. It's not something that's going to just happen. It's going to create wear and tear over many years and eventually create issues. There would be little to no accurately way to determine how many vehicles out there have had issues created by Fram filter's with faulty anti-drain back valves.

The blowing up thing is called sarcasm.

Depending on how the filter is oriented the drain back valve doesnt mean much, not to mention some cars have anti drainback valves in the filter adapter/housings. I dont hang around on oil forums to see the 'proof' but a lot of people use them. I've read the articles and no doubt the look cheesy inside, but I also wouldnt be scared to put a fram filter on if thats all I could find.

I can care less about fram to be honest, they are popular and private label many other filters. Most engines these days with better tolerances, cleaner machining practices closed/filtered PCV systems and better modern oils could probably go 100K miles with any oil filter.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the ams filter has changed since that pic. It now only has 100 square inches of media.

For comparison an frpp filter has 283 and a very high burst strength.

I'd still like to see flow numbers from all of the manufacturers like frpp publishes. Filtering isn't going to mean sqat if the filter is in bypass mode because it can't flow the volume being pushed through it (high rpm driving). Ford specs that bypass mode must not expose the dirty side of the filter, not all of them do that but all Ford or frpp filters meet that requirement.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft only on this motor, But on stock motor I always used Mobile 1 without any issues.

Nitemare

forum member
Reaction score
I have always used the mobile 1 filters. I have for a couple of.years now. I have about 8 Ford cars and hats all I have ever used. Never had any kind of problems with it. I am a big fan of purulator filters.

KemahGT

forum member
Reaction score

I like the quote

"I cut some open...couldn't find much data on the regular filters , but Amsoil was kind enough to supply plenty of info on theirs, quite impressive if you ask me..."

If that's not scientific fucking data, I don't know what is. I'm sold!

Nothing like a double blind study by a guy with a shitty cell phone camera to convince me!

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Didn't Fram recall some racing oil filters a few years ago after some top-dollar drag race engines blew up?

Anyway, that's why I use just about anything but Fram filters in my vehicles. I've used Mopar, Motorcraft, K&N, and Mobil 1, but never Fram.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back