oil pressure sending unit

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I am having issues with my oil pressure being too high, I think I have a damaged oil pressure release valve in the pump (from oil relocation kit installed incorrectly) I am getting ready to have the oil pump changed out.

This caused me to do some trouble shooting and I undid my dual sending unit setup that was all 1/4" npt brass fittings (male to male, T and 90 elbow)

I wanted to use -an fittings so i could swivel the joints and have easier access to the sending units. I am going from 1/4" NPT male to male to -6an elbow back to 1/4" NPT "T " (since the OEM sending unit is 1/4" npt)

Now the OEM oil pressure sending will not register any pressure when using the T and an fittings. But when it is placed directly into the engine it works. I am splitting so I can use an Auto meter electric gauge that works in both cases.

I have ordered a new sending unit and 1/4" NPT elbow and 1/4" npt "T" so I can stay away from the -6an (i can't reuse the original 1/4" npt brass male to male cause it got damaged removing it from the engine, it did not have a nut in the center, used vise grips to remove it)

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Andrew

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
is there anything preventing the sensor from having a good ground? you didnt use teflon tape right?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
is there anything preventing the sensor from having a good ground? you didnt use teflon tape right?

the sensor only has one wire to it but maybe it is grounded through the block and the aluminum fittings are nit grounding it and the brass fittings were ?

Used Teflon tape on the npt fittings only (not on the -an fittings)

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
the sensor is grounded to the block from the threads. you cant use any teflon tape, only teflon paste. you have to make sure that the sensors are staying grounded to the block, so you cant have any isolators between them. the aluminum shouldnt be an issue, but the teflon tape will be

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
the sensor is grounded to the block from the threads. you cant use any teflon tape, only teflon paste. you have to make sure that the sensors are staying grounded to the block, so you cant have any isolators between them. the aluminum shouldnt be an issue, but the teflon tape will be

Okay will try paste instead of tape thanks

07 Boss

Reaction score

Does that apply to an aftermarket sensor as well? I just put an adaptor ring on my oil filter for my electric autometer gauge and I used Teflon tape on the threads. I didn't touch the factory sensor.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Does that apply to an aftermarket sensor as well? I just put an adaptor ring on my oil filter for my electric autometer gauge and I used Teflon tape on the threads. I didn't touch the factory sensor.

my afterwork AutoMeter gauge (oil pressure gauge sending unit) worked with the teflon tape but it also have like 3 or 4 wins going to it so one is probably the ground

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Any one wire sensor. They are grounded to the block. You technically can use Teflon tape, but there's a good chance that it will insulate the threads and not let them make a good connection. You're better off with the paste and just avoiding the hassle

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Any one wire sensor. They are grounded to the block. You technically can use Teflon tape, but there's a good chance that it will insulate the threads and not let them make a good connection. You're better off with the paste and just avoiding the hassle

Thanks, when I redo the OEM sending unit with paste I will redo the AutoMeter one as well

Andrew

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Paste NOT FUCKING tape (dumb ass)

i-ZqJ28Jw-X2.jpg

OEM sendng unit with past already applied

i-6WTDdXP-X2.jpg

new brass

i-kW6GpcQ-X2.jpg

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
try and mimic the oe part with the paste. just a little bit and spread it into the threads with your finger. and only on the male threads

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Irish.

Got it all together and it is working...now time to drive to ProDyno in SC and get the damn oil pump changed not enjoying 80-90 lbs of oil pressure

Let me know if you have a favorite College team, we make embroidered stuff (key rings, luggage tags, etc) and would like to send you some.

Andrew

i-NtRphc9-X2.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back