Oil PSI with Melling pump

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
i think your nuts till you get a better gauge on it.......even if its just going to the auto parts store and getting a cheap mechanical gauge just to test with....

I agree. This is one of those things where if you run the motor and burn it up knowing the oil pressure is low, the builder is going to tell you to break out another $5,000 bill. They aren't going to fix it if it blows up if you keep running the motor with that low of an oil pressure.

As mentioned, get a mechanical gauge in there ASAP! Could be the adapter you built is your problem. But until you know for sure, stop starting the car! Much less driving it!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+100000 change the gauge quickly and see. dont run the engine long.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I set the rod clearance at .012 on my motor. That is with .001 and rod bearing clearance, 010 crank endplay.

I would not go less than .002 bearing clearance on a iron block though. If at .002, I would break in really easy with a thin oil .

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
As others have said I would not run the engine any more. You need to verify oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first. Running anything under 10psi at idle is going to get sketchy. Should have hot oil pressure numbers in the middle teens at idle at a minimum.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I think its the gauge for sure...Went to inspect it today and the guage started reading crazy numbers...Would jump around from 2 and then shoot up to 67 and then back to 30 something, etc etc...Not my display only reads ( - - - ). Must be a bad sending unit or one of my wires have messed up. Will keep checking it out.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Still have no idea...lol...I'm thinking its either the gauge or the sending unit...

Is now reading numbers, but then it will get stuck on a number...Sometimes it will read more accurate numbers (staying in the 60+ range) but it gets stuck on 65 and 66 alot. I have an order to send both sending unit and gauge in to be tested, but have not done it yet

Back