Oil pump gears condition.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
So I’m pretty sure you’ll all agree that these gears should be replaced but I figured I’d just get a second opinion before I spend another $400 on billet gears. Looks like a little contamination got into the pump and put a little scoring on the teethe the rest of the gears look fine. Let me know what you guys think.

6E78BDCB-7FAF-40EB-B6D7-3CC4A93CF96D.jpeg

71FF81A1-5424-4F0A-B87D-A1FCDA8EA323.jpeg

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
I would 100% replace those gears. It sucks to have to spend the money, but its cheaper than rebuilding the whole engine down the road if they fail.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you, I don’t want any issue after putting this thing back together AGAIN, might as well just bight the bullet.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I think you have bigger problems than those gears.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Had bigger problems, motors been torn apart and is being put back together currently..

No they were boundary gears.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Is this the first time it has blown up?

2015-2016 F150 5.0's are going for around $2000 now.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Some shoty machine work led me to have to tear it back apart after only running for a short period of time, not interested in doing a coyote swap when I already have a built motor underway. Reading about wiring alone is enough to give me a headache.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I got my rods back loaded with swarf. What was wrong with your build? What led to the tear down?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
16 bent valves from shit machine work and just as many broken guides. All the valves bent at the stem side with zero ptv contact. Car never saw more than 20 miles and went over 4000rpm. I had made a thread about it when it happened and the general consensus was the machine shop rebuilt my heads poorly. It’s been an expensive lesson to say the least.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
must have been way too tight and seized. I remember that thread.

Where'd you get new heads/what did you do?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Got them from a rebuilder off eBay, came with a lifetime warranty and was highly reviewed. All I have to do is swap my springs in and they’ll be good to go.

As far as the block I tore it back down the bearings had some sign of contamination getting into them so I had everything washed thoroughly and replaced the bearings. Putting the short block back together now hopefully I’ll have it running again in a couple weeks.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
16 bent valves from shit machine work and just as many broken guides. All the valves bent at the stem side with zero ptv contact. Car never saw more than 20 miles and went over 4000rpm. I had made a thread about it when it happened and the general consensus was the machine shop rebuilt my heads poorly. It’s been an expensive lesson to say the least.

Running too lean can/will cause that, or the heads were assembled with insufficient valve guide clearance.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Wide band never indicated a lean condition, and I got the best in business doing my tuning...Lito

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Did the machine shop modify the guides? I still have a hard time understanding how there was nothing loose under the valve cover since there was no piston to valve clearance if they didn't do something like add bronze guides or change the valves to another brand.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Also, did all the valves take a crap at the same time? I'm guessing yes, since just one would cause it to run like doodoo.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
He changes all the guides out not sure what brand or why he even did it in the first place. He pulled a pretty scum move and completely disassembled my heads when I drop them off just to be resurfaced. Which gave me no choice but to have them rebuilt at that point. The machine shops explanation was that I shouldn’t have pre pump the lash adjusters up with oil before firing the engine, which we all know is bull shit and is common practice to do so.

Yes all the valves bent at basically the same time, first indication of an issue was one of the rockers came out from under the cam then when I took a closer looks that’s when I noticed the all the stems being bent.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The heads need to be disassembled to be resurfaced. At least when my heads were surfaced they pulled all the valves out. For me it was a good thing as one of them was bent. But I was never told I needed a full rebuild.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Ive had head’s resurfaced without pulling the valves before, but I should have been more specific, completely dissaasembled meaning he pushed the guides out too. Either way it’s water under the bridge now and I’ll never go back there.

New pump with billet gears is on the way so just going to keep moving forward with the build and hopefully my next thread is sharing some dyno numbers instead of broken parts!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back