Oil Separator Cans--Parts Lists/Sources Please!

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So someone take a minute and educate me...these things are an application for SC'd engines? Where is the oil coming from? What happens if you don't install a catch can? And why don't SC kits come with it as an integral part?

N/A needs them too. The Power adders can induce a lot more blow by so they are needing the bigger cans.

The oil comes from the mist in the air (it's an oil mist) inside of the engine as it is cycled through the PCV valve back into the plenum. That air is oil laden and well it just gets into places it shouldn't.

Agreed, shoudl be standard in a S/C kit BUT there are some builders who are dead against them. I think their concern is a potential for unmeatered air to get in and pop a motor from a lean condition. (valid concern but it doesn't seem to be real world)

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, I get it. So our cars already have them, but they're small...is it the PCV valve? Where do I find it in my car?

Another question; does the CAI+Tune count as a "power adder" (obviously they add power, but is the term usually used in conjunction with blown/juiced/turboed engines?

This seems like something that's really quite important, but that is typically overlooked....

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, I get it. So our cars already have them, but they're small...is it the PCV valve? Where do I find it in my car?

Another question; does the CAI+Tune count as a "power adder" (obviously they add power, but is the term usually used in conjunction with blown/juiced/turboed engines?

This seems like something that's really quite important, but that is typically overlooked....

Our cars "really" have nothing. The PCV valve maybe at some time in the past was a big step and did it LOL BUT no, you need even the first step which is the Steeda type separator. They can be replaced in a cheap way by going to the home depot etc. to get one.

Power adder ... I mean forced induction. Used to be one could say Supercharger BUT now with the tubo's and Nitrous stuff out there that puts a big load of added cylinder pressure from the added fuel/air (or air substitute!) that's when the blow by is increased big time on a stock engine because of piston ring clearances.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Ok homie check it out. This is S197 PCV 101. Follow this closed loop PCV system in your mind. Our cars draw air IN to the passenger side cam cover. This air comes from the intake tube AFTER it has passed through the MAF sensor so it has been cleaned by the air filter and metered by the MAF meter. This air circulates through the motor and is sucked OUT of the drivers side cam cover and into the the intake manifold BEHIND the throttle body. This suction draws oil vapor with it from the crankcase and this oil will contaminate the Air/Fuel mixture, create burnt oil deposits on your pistons and valves, and put a nasty coating on your supercharger intercooler if you have one. Not to mention shortening the life of your $90.00 spark plugs and gunking up your throttle body.
So, you should put an Air/Oil separator in the line that runs from the Drivers side cam cover to the intake manifold.
Spend the money and do it correctly! Don't skimp and get the thimble sized glass one because it will fill too quickly and become a maintenance issue. Don't try to save money and get a "catch can" because it is cheaper. It will require modification to work properly. Get a good Air/Oil separator and plumb it properly.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok homie check it out. This is S197 PCV 101. Follow this closed loop PCV system in your mind. Our cars draw air IN to the passenger side cam cover. This air comes from the intake tube AFTER it has passed through the MAF sensor so it has been cleaned by the air filter and metered by the MAF meter. This air circulates through the motor and is sucked OUT of the drivers side cam cover and into the the intake manifold BEHIND the throttle body. This suction draws oil vapor with it from the crankcase and this oil will contaminate the Air/Fuel mixture, create burnt oil deposits on your pistons and valves, and put a nasty coating on your supercharger intercooler if you have one. Not to mention shortening the life of your $90.00 spark plugs and gunking up your throttle body.
So, you should put an Air/Oil separator in the line that runs from the Drivers side cam cover to the intake manifold.
Spend the money and do it correctly! Don't skimp and get the thimble sized glass one because it will fill too quickly and become a maintenance issue. Don't try to save money and get a "catch can" because it is cheaper. It will require modification to work properly. Get a good Air/Oil separator and plumb it properly.

Awesome explanation; THANKS! :rock: Got it! :hammer: Ok so I WON"T skimp, and I'll get a good quality Air/Oil separator......now could you suggest a brand, manufacturer or even a model? Steeda?

Thanks!

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I really like the Stef's unit that I have. S197 GT and GI Joe have the same unit but with NPT fittings instead of -AN fittings. This will save you a few bucks on expensive fittings. I think Moroso came out with one recently.
If you want "the bomb" setup with -AN fittings, Stef's separator, and Earl's Perform-O-Flex hose let me know and I will give you a detailed parts list.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want "the bomb" setup with -AN fittings, Stef's separator, and Earl's Perform-O-Flex hose let me know and I will give you a detailed parts list.

YES, please! Anything to keep the inside of my engine sqeaky clean...and my plugs from fouling. What sort of ballpark cost are we looking at...$100?

I plan on keeping my steed a loooong time...and preventative maintenance is sooo important.

BTW, this is a MUST for newb's to learn about.....I'd never heard of them pior to this thread and seeing the mod listed in Travelers sig...

Q

qwkcoupe

Agreed, shoudl be standard in a S/C kit BUT there are some builders who are dead against them. I think their concern is a potential for unmeatered air to get in and pop a motor from a lean condition. (valid concern but it doesn't seem to be real world)

My comment about that is the only way to get unmetered air into the system is to allow unmetered air into the system. what we are doing here does not in anyway allow unmetered air into the system. The usual concern is when people remove the PCV and place a PCV Filter and block intake line.

Q

qwkcoupe

If there are any issues with this system is not unmetered air, all of the air is metered with what we are doing.

The only issue I see is slowing down PCV slow so much that we might as well just block the line off.

If filtering this PCV does infact slow the PCV flow down, which it does at least 0.000001% because any filter process will slow things down, then we will have dirtier oil @ X miles.

So how does the oil look pre and post separator install?

p.s. shuving one of these down my oil fill tube on my 93 coupe prevented the oil mist issue... I'll try to duplicate this on the s197 so I don't have to ever empty a catch can... http://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/images/steelscrubbers.jpg

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
p.s. shuving one of these down my oil fill tube on my 93 coupe prevented the oil mist issue... I'll try to duplicate this on the s197 so I don't have to ever empty a catch can... http://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/images/steelscrubbers.jpg

Oil fill tube? How would inserting that in the oil fill tube prevent the oil mist from being produced in the crankcase and entering the intake manifold through the throttlebody?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
This setup done properly will not fail you. It will also hold about 1/3 quart before you have to empty it. Very little restriction.
The first pic is with cheap ass Spectra hose which I had to change out since the vacuum nearly sucked it closed. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the hose!
Oh yeah, $100.00?! LMAO!

Here is a parts list:

#5123 Stef's -12an air/oil separator 98.00
Shipping and Handling 14.00

Summit Racing:
MOR-63401 3" can bracket 6.95
SPE-3260 5/8" clamps (qty-2) 13.90
EAR-403010ERL 3ft -10 Perform-O-Flex hose 32.39
EAR-9892120ERL Female -12 to Male -10 reducer (qty-2) 33.50
EAR-812010ERL -10 120* swivel-seal hose end 25.95
EAR-800110ERL -10 straight swivel-seal hose end 10.95
Shipping and Handling 10.95

Total $246.59

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you dont have to go with braided hose however, so you can save some dough there

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, $100.00?! LMAO!
Total $246.59
So what'S the problem with the setup shown in the link that Ixtlan inserted in his post?

Not enough volume? When responding, keep in mind that I'm done with engine mods (C&L CAI + Doug's 93 Race Tune) until I'm out of the warranty (or I win the Lotto :doggy: )

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This setup done properly will not fail you. It will also hold about 1/3 quart before you have to empty it. Very little restriction.
The first pic is with cheap ass Spectra hose which I had to change out since the vacuum nearly sucked it closed. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the hose!
Oh yeah, $100.00?! LMAO!

Here is a parts list:

#5123 Stef's -12an air/oil separator 98.00
Shipping and Handling 14.00

Summit Racing:
MOR-63401 3" can bracket 6.95
SPE-3260 5/8" clamps (qty-2) 13.90
EAR-403010ERL 3ft -10 Perform-O-Flex hose 32.39
EAR-9892120ERL Female -12 to Male -10 reducer (qty-2) 33.50
EAR-812010ERL -10 120* swivel-seal hose end 25.95
EAR-800110ERL -10 straight swivel-seal hose end 10.95
Shipping and Handling 10.95

Total $246.59

I have this exact set-up except Stef didn't have the #5123 in stock so I got the Morosso from summit.

(http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR-85471&N=700+115&autoview=sku)

The Morrosso is -12an in and out also but has a -6an drain fitting. Does the steff have a drain fitting or is it just plugged? I'm putting this in next week and wondering if I just plug the drain?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it has a twist drain on it. twist to drain, retighten when done. you can even hook up a drain hose to it for easy drainings

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
1st of all it has to be somewhat restrictive in nature because of the size hose. 2nd, I think it was Peter who filled it in 2 days. If it gets full then the oil goes right back into the intake. Finally, there is no way that that filter element is as efficient as the large cell foam piece in the Stef's and I'm sure the Moroso.
So what'S the problem with the setup shown in the link that Ixtlan inserted in his post?

Not enough volume? When responding, keep in mind that I'm done with engine mods (C&L CAI + Doug's 93 Race Tune) until I'm out of the warranty (or I win the Lotto :doggy: )

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i could fill my cheapie one in the drive to the track, and then after 5-8 runs on the track.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back