One word to describe my latest track times:

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SHITTY. WTF. HAPPENED. TONIGHT.

I go out with new 4.10's in all hyped up, the car runs like a frickin beast on the street, completely different than before the new gears, and what does it do at the track? RUN THE SAME DAMN TIMES I RAN LAST TIME. HOW????!?!?!?!??!?????:wtf:

The first run was on a somewhat hot engine, no wheelspin as usual, this was probably the prettiest run I have ever done. Killer burnout, killer R/T, smoked the life out of my buddies WS6 (but it was his first race ever so i'll give him some slack)

R/T: .003
60': 1.790 (first sign of wtf)
330': 5.183
1/8: 8.030 (why the hell am i still in the eights)
MPH: 85.82
1000': 10.508
1/4: 12.603
MPH: 107.38

Umm.... this might as well be a carbon copy run of my best run with the stock 3.31's. I let it slide because the first run for me is usually 2/10's slower than the fastest of the night the same way it has always been every time I have been racing.

So I let the engine cool down for 1.5hrs, do my 10 second engine on advancements in the lanes, do a sweet burnout as usual, stage as shallow as ever, and then run this: (against a 2006 LS2 vette and beat him by half a car, probably due to r/t)

R/T: -.020 (first red light lol)
60': 1.779
330': 5.180
1/8: 8.027
MPH: 85.81
1000': 10.503
1/4: 12.597
MPH: 107.70

I seriously was pissed after that run. Threw the helmet and everything.

The ONLY thing I can think that is messing it up like this is the tune. Nothing against Bamachips, but after I had the converter put in and got a new tune, I ran that 12.58 in the sig. With that tune, my MPG was ~18.5, but it would hang in 3rd gear at 35mph. I called doug and asked him to change the shift parameters so it would go into 4th. After loading the tune, my MPG plummeted to ~13. I went from 325miles to empty on a full tank to 210. Holy hell this car must be running pig rich, and yes I can really really smell it in the exhaust. Burns the eyeballs.
I am going to call doug tomorrow to try and get this fixed or just go to VMP later this month and get a dyno tune.

Bottom line is the weather was fine, the wind did not play a part, and the car should have run faster. i think everyone can agree with me on that one. Yes the car is consistent, and that matters alot to me, but still.
When i get this sorted out, it's track time again :)

Last edited:

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh and to add insult to injury, i hit a bouncing apple on the way home at 80mph. it went everywhere.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4.10s in an auto seem to be very weird. there is almost no second gear. talk to doug at bamachips. he got 4.10s and then immediately removed them because of that problem. there are some like don_w that run 4.10s with no issue, but msot with autos have the same problem doug had. my friends got 4.10s in an auto as well and there is almsot no second gear . it goes into second for like 2-3 seconds at WOT and switches to third.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are some pretty sweet times. Though, what kind of tires are you running? What were you expecting to pull off exactly?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's true, it only runs about rounds out about 800rpms in second before hitting the shift point for 3rd. I would think that would make it faster...
i was crossing the line at ~5800rpm in 4th. This really has me baffled as well as some other die hard racers I talked to tonight.
Before I went out, everyone swore I would run low 12.4's maybe 12.3's and then this...

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are some pretty sweet times. Though, what kind of tires are you running? What were you expecting to pull off exactly?

I was looking for mid to low 12.4's, like in the 12.40-12.45 range. tires are 275/40/17 mt et street radials on stock 17" bullitts. they hook.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking for mid to low 12.4's, like in the 12.40-12.45 range. tires are 275/40/17 mt et street radials on stock 17" bullitts. they hook.

Well, I don't know what to say then. I was thinking you had too much tire in the rear, like 315's+ which from my understanding would negate some of the 4.10's power in an N/A type car. I just don't know bro....

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BTW, hows that 3000 Stall on the street and track...

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's flat out awesome. It's like, 'gee i feel like blasting off, lemme just flick this pedal here..' and then you take off really really hard and fast. When the converter is slipping it makes the most torque, so if you snap the pedal then you really feel a kick! On the stock tires from a dead stop and then slamming the gas, be ready to fly to 4th gear in about 2-3 seconds. The cloud of smoke behind you resembles the kind an airplane makes when it lands :)

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's flat out awesome. It's like, 'gee i feel like blasting off, lemme just flick this pedal here..' and then you take off really really hard and fast. When the converter is slipping it makes the most torque, so if you snap the pedal then you really feel a kick! On the stock tires from a dead stop and then slamming the gas, be ready to fly to 4th gear in about 2-3 seconds. The cloud of smoke behind you resembles the kind an airplane makes when it lands :)

OoOoOoOooOOOOoooooooo.............:bonebh::bonebh::bonebh:...I can't wait!!!!!

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very interesting... i did some DA calculations for last nights runs and the run I did April 3rd, the 12.58.

April 3rd DA: -177
May 3rd DA: 1308

So I guess this also explains why I should have been faster, or at least why i went so fast that last time lol.

Last edited:

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1500 feet is a big deal... might have cost you a tenth or two.

Yep, guess i'll have to wati for cooler weather to see that kind of da again.
The 28" tall tire seems like the best option to put the full effect of the gears down. crap, now I really can't wait to race again!

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Andyman, Horsepower by Hermann in Tampa did my tune. Maybe you want to check him out. Going to Bradenton today to the Stang Gang Track day. It'll be the first time my car will be at the track since the tune. Lets see what it'll do. I don't expect much since I asked Hermann for a very safe tune.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Andyman, Horsepower by Hermann in Tampa did my tune. Maybe you want to check him out. Going to Bradenton today to the Stang Gang Track day. It'll be the first time my car will be at the track since the tune. Lets see what it'll do. I don't expect much since I asked Hermann for a very safe tune.

I'd love to go to Hermann to tune it but he is impossible to get a hold of and charges quite a bit. I am going to have him to the blower install someday though.

Have fun at track day, I'd be going as well but I have alot of other stuff to do that kind of is more important... last year was a great time! I made 13 runs and won best burnout :) Fastest run that day was a 12.99 with only intake, tune, and full exhaust!

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
I'd love to go to Hermann to tune it but he is impossible to get a hold of and charges quite a bit. I am going to have him to the blower install someday though.

Have fun at track day, I'd be going as well but I have alot of other stuff to do that kind of is more important... last year was a great time! I made 13 runs and won best burnout :) Fastest run that day was a 12.99 with only intake, tune, and full exhaust!
whew that was close.:flasher:
i better get my butt in gear or you're gonna pass me :)
it's mothers day next weekend so i doubt i'll be able to race then. by the time i get to go race it will be 90* here.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
whew that was close.:flasher:
i better get my butt in gear or you're gonna pass me :)
it's mothers day next weekend so i doubt i'll be able to race then. by the time i get to go race it will be 90* here.

Yeah man when the weather cools off in about 5 months, my times will be competitive!! hopefully low 12.4's still :)

how much weight would you say you have taken off? also how much weight (estimate) would a lightened k-member, bogarts, front sway delete would take off? after that lighter a-arms are all i can think of.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get rid of thr spoiler,get rid of mufflers,get rid of 2 pc driveshaft, i will let you know what shaft to put in,Sean Hyland & I are trying something,I removed The Driveshaft Shop driveshaft,I removed the BMR carbon fibre driveshaft,Sean & I maybe on to something really neet.We should be test driving it tomorrow with a altered one pc driveshaft that will take whatever you can throw at it.I don't want to say anything until i know it will be vibration free.I will sell ya my carbon fibre one,i can't use it as it does not like ice,snow,salt etc.It has 5000 miles on it.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get rid of thr spoiler,get rid of mufflers,get rid of 2 pc driveshaft, i will let you know what shaft to put in,Sean Hyland & I are trying something,I removed The Driveshaft Shop driveshaft,I removed the BMR carbon fibre driveshaft,Sean & I maybe on to something really neet.We should be test driving it tomorrow with a altered one pc driveshaft that will take whatever you can throw at it.I don't want to say anything until i know it will be vibration free.I will sell ya my carbon fibre one,i can't use it as it does not like ice,snow,salt etc.It has 5000 miles on it.

I already have an aluminum driveshaft, haven't had any problem at all. I got a ford ranger shaft, sent it to PST in clearwater FL, and they shortened it nine inches and I bolted it right up :) only cost probably 350 total :clap:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is what a spyder shaft is as well i belive,if that is the case it will only take 500 HP & less torque.Have you lost the spoiler,also remove the mufflers total weight loss near 50+ lbs,just have exhaust extension pieces made,its not that loud.Good luck

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back