Opinions on the estimate I was given?

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
Well a week ago I wrecked my stang, it was during a major snow storm, and there was a wreck in front of me, the guy in front of me slammed his brakes and went into my lane, I got on mine, and started sliding, I hit him sideways, with the passenger fender, which caused both of us to spin and hit again (rear passenger fender and bumper) I was given a quote of $3000 to repair this from the insurance estimator, which seems a little low to me. front fender, strut, tie rod, ball joint and maybe more are going to need replacing, front bumper cover has some scrapes and is bent, not sure if fixable or if it'll need to be replaced, rear fender has gouges and small dents, idk if it needs to be replaced or if they can pull them out, rear bumper cover is fubar.

Does $3k in repairs seem right?

PICS:

Hard to see all the gouges and dents in this picture, but there are more than 5 over the size of a golfball

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Fender is fucked.
1/4 panel will get repaired, it's not too bad.
Rear fascia is fucked.
Front fascia, not a good pic to see the damage.

That total of $3000 looks about right.
The body shop can/will ask for a supplement if needed.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the pics, and I don't know what the reg's are in your state, but here in CA, you can choose whatever body shop you want, and it's up to them to negotiate with the insurance company to make your car right.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
what are you basing it being low on? Looks like enough money to cover repairs and absorb the deductible at the right body shop.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Fender is fucked.
Rear fascia is fucked.

This. When my car was wrecked in 2012, there was an additional supplement that the insurance company had to fork over for other work that could only be seen when the body panels were removed. They'll take care of it. Pick a good body shop to take care of it. If you don't know of any, get a list from your insurance company and go look at pictures of their repairs and pick accordingly based on the body work and paint. Paint will be a big one. You'll want it to look like nothing ever happened, and mismatched or orange-peeled paint will be a tell-tale sign.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Fender is fucked.
Rear fascia is fucked.

X3

Instead of using the word estimate, replace it with guess. Rule of thumb in the insurance world is usually at least a 10% supplement.

Like the member above said, go to a good body shop and don't worry about it. I'd go to a body shop you're insurance company is affiliated with (call your carrier as every body shop will tell you they are your carriers shop).

Sent from my phone, spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of tapatalk.

Last edited:

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
Got it too a bodyshop, looked at the estimate, and the guy messed it up. didn't include the front bumper cover, requested a repaint of the hood due to a scratch (which I'm ok with, but he failed to notice the 2 giant black stripes I have that will need replacing, because they'll need to be removed to get the hood repainted) and he had no idea what was wrong with the suspension. So the shop works with my insurance, and they can do estimates, so they're gonna try to do their own and get the insurance to go with theirs vs the other guys, or get him to come down to their shop and look at it

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Estimates are just based on face value with insurance adjusters. They take a quick look around and go by what the eye can see. Once the body shop tears it apart and finds more damage, they contact the insurance company and get the approval for a supplimental.

Never take an estimate seriously unless it's just a scratch.

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! hopefully it'll be done in the next 2 weeks or so they said, I can't wait to get my baby back! even if she is just a slow little 3 valve :p

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's not bad at all. To put things in perspective, I had my door replaced and the entire side of my car re-cleared. That was just under $2,000, so that sounds about right to me.

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're redoing the estimate now. Insurance is sending their own guy down to do it at the body-shop I brought the car to. 2 weeks later they might finally have an estimate for me

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well thats part of the problem w going to a shop that doesn't work directly w your insurance company. I wish ya the best of luck and remember to mitigate your udage of your rental.

Sent from my phone, spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of tapatalk.

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
Estimates are just based on face value with insurance adjusters. They take a quick look around and go by what the eye can see. Once the body shop tears it apart and finds more damage, they contact the insurance company and get the approval for a supplimental.
We do the best we can. Unfortunately, in my particular state I'm regulated that I can only write what I can actually see and photograph, so the suspension damage typically has to be left for later. Plus, the way modern cars are made, it's virtually impossible to get a complete estimate on the first go. Too many little plastic brackets and hidden pieces that go missing.

Gut reaction was $3000 wasn't too bad of a first estimate on that.

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
The shop I went to does work with my insurance, but since they already had this guy estimate it they want him to be the one to come back and redo it. The suspension part I understand, missing the front bumper cover and turn signal, and him being very un-specific on the hood (needs a full repaint) are just plain mistakes on his part though. It's not a big deal I just am getting sick of waiting to even get the work going. I might be getting a CS front bumper if it needs replacing, i'm not sure if it will or not.. mostly it's been 10 days since my wreck and my car isn't getting worked on yet so I'm getting frustrated

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
The shop I went to does work with my insurance, but since they already had this guy estimate it they want him to be the one to come back and redo it. The suspension part I understand, missing the front bumper cover and turn signal, and him being very un-specific on the hood (needs a full repaint) are just plain mistakes on his part though. It's not a big deal I just am getting sick of waiting to even get the work going. I might be getting a CS front bumper if it needs replacing, i'm not sure if it will or not.. mostly it's been 10 days since my wreck and my car isn't getting worked on yet so I'm getting frustrated

You're gonna learn patience throughout this. When I wrecked my car, there were NO driver side doors anywhere in the Nation for MONTHS. It took about 2.5 months for my car to get done. Mine had a lot more damage though. Just sit tight. I will say that if you want to make any changes to the body (delete emblems, spoiler, bumpers) now is the time to do it. You'll probably get a great deal from the body shop and it'll only require painting those parts ONCE instead of having them repainted now, then again later if you decide to make more changes.

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
Body repairs are not like service work. Much patience is required. They need to get all the parts approved. Order the parts. Start the work. Find more stuff that got missed (actually not a FAIL anymore; modern cars just suck). Get that approved. Whatever they tell you for a delivery date, allow an extra few days.

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I am learning patience for sure! turns out the rear fender is worse than it looked, it got smashed in under the bumper, then the bumper popped back out making it look like it just cracked and was fine

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back