Outstanding Throttle Response write up...

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess that'll improve the feel when the pedal is quickly lifted, too?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mustangforums? my computer has been infected with the horrible information virus

edit: wow looks pretty useful actually. anyone got a part number for the pedal assembly? id rather do this to a spare one than ruin my stock one

Last edited:

matt texass

Reaction score
hmmm interesting...... im actually thinking about doing this .....

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mustangforums? my computer has been infected with the horrible information virus

99.9% of the time you are right, Ron, but this is a good write up. I'm assuming the guy probably just doesn't know about us...lol

I'll have to send him a PM.:leghump:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i need a part number rather have a spare on hand lol

part num 4R3Z-9F836-BD

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay I know many of you (Don..lol) wouldn't be caught dead at mustang fourms.com but this is the first time I have actually seen some real and decent information over there. Check out this thread....

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3792553/tm.htm

No schitt dood, that is some of the best tech I have seen there in a loooonnnnngggg time!!!! This is wonderful. I was just bitching to myself about my throttle response, and wishing for a manual cable control and alas, look what I find when I do my evening check on s197!!!

Now I wonder WTF Ford was thinking when they had this designed with the no contact spot.

I wonder if it will also help stop the rev-up on a cold start?

Time to do some mod-e-fyin' this long weekend!!!

Thanks again for this one!

Mike

ixtlan

Reaction score
Check yours first.
I just looked at mine and had no lag aka dead spot.
The very slightest movement the rpm rose.
Now I do recalibrate regularly so perhaps the PCM accounts for it.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A couple of comments after reading the 11 pages over there, those shiny contacts are not brass, that's GOLD so it won't corrode, and those carbon film resistors are actually deposited on that circuit board and then etched similar to the way fine features are etched on silicon wafers to make ICs. (I know all about that stuff since that is what I do for a living! :thumb:

Resistance = (rho * L)/A where rho is the resistivity of a given material, L is length of the material, and A is cross-sectional area of the material.

What happens is when the brushes are over the place where the carbon film is over the gold, any slight change in L there is neglible because A in the equation above is huge. However, once you move off of the gold pad and onto the resistor track, then the A becomes the cross-sectional area of that thin film of carbon (very tiny) and that is significantly different as L changes.

I am going to remove mine and see if I can put in a thottle stop that does the same thing. I am pretty sure this is what is annoying the hell out of me in traffic since you have to ease into the throttle say at a red light, stop sign, or stop-n-go traffic.

A very nice piece of info and we need "tube" over here for sure!

I have to admit that those 11 pages are sort of entertaining, but having to read stuff like that all the time over there is why I bid them adieu!

Mike

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read 162 posts on the subject as well. Good read BUT I drove mine a little bit ago and I don't have the dead movement talked aobut. I wear a size 13 shoe so maybe that is one reason I can't tell. I am going to check the wife's car tomorrow and then open the door and lay on the ground and reach in by hand on mine to see if I can determine any false movement. But so far I am not a candidate for the mod. Besides the Pro Racer packae I have a Bamachips (Doug) base tune file and he removes the throttle "lag" I think the mod in our discussion here, removes the pedal free travel or "pedal lag", which I do not appear to have.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope it works for you guys - I don't like the feel of the throttle, but I'm afraid to bust open the pedal assembly and mess with little doohickeys that I'm unfamiliar with. If it works and goes smoothly for you folks, I may be more inclined to take a shot at it. If it's only a $50 part, that makes it even more enticing.

howarmat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read 162 posts on the subject as well. Good read BUT I drove mine a little bit ago and I don't have the dead movement talked aobut. I wear a size 13 shoe so maybe that is one reason I can't tell. I am going to check the wife's car tomorrow and then open the door and lay on the ground and reach in by hand on mine to see if I can determine any false movement. But so far I am not a candidate for the mod. Besides the Pro Racer packae I have a Bamachips (Doug) base tune file and he removes the throttle "lag" I think the mod in our discussion here, removes the pedal free travel or "pedal lag", which I do not appear to have.

I dont experience this problem either and the race tune from doug gets rid of any lag that i might have had stock....i ordered a new part and will try it but either way its not going to help most people out , especially cause the "lag" that most people complain about will still be there.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I for one will be doing this. Should kill a saturday... or at least part of it. I KNOW mine has dead space.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Okay I know many of you (Don..lol) wouldn't be caught dead at mustang fourms.com
You are exactly right... I won't even click your link. :naughty:

but this is the first time I have actually seen some real and decent information over there.
Once every three years is pretty pathetic. haha

BTW, I haven't had any throttle lag in about 2 years. Once I started using Doug's and then Adam's tunes, it's been non-existent.

ixtlan

Reaction score
I am sure the manufacturing variances come into play here.
Some may have it, some not.
I cant say the recalibration has anything to do with it either.
I may have just been lucky and got one that doesn't have the dead spot.
If somebody does have it then try the recalibration first and see if it goes away.
Let us know too.
Interesting to know the outcome.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree. There is no way the factory has these things exactly calibrated. This is the reason the 'throttle lag' is worse or non-existent between cars. If nothing else, it's worth opening it up and taking a look at how your spacing is if you do have some lag IMO.

My reponse is really good but I'm going to take a look at mine when I get my car back anyway just to see how my connections look for comparison.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mustang Forums said:
i asked my friend if he had the lag on his v6 tonight. he said he definitely has lag as well.
Ford should put out a TSB or something.

that was my favorite post from the thread

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back