Outstanding Throttle Response write up...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
while i agree that wont help the drag launches, as we are already at 3000, 4000, or 5000 rpms already, this should absolutely help on the street in regular traffic conditions. also i guess everyone should be forewarned that going too thick on the spacer (tape in this case) is also a bad idea lol

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that will be the case, since you actually move the brushes out onto the actual resistor itself and away from the gold contact pad. Instead of it seeing the same resistance for a moment as the pedal changes position, it will see an instaneous change in resistance now and the computer should react to that by opening the throttle blades up in sync.

Thx,

Mike

My bad, I wasn't clear. I'm talking about this procedure:

Recalibration Procedure for Throttle:
Turn Key ON.
Wait for dash lights to go out.
Press throttle fully to floor quickly and release quickly.
Turn key OFF.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
while i agree that wont help the drag launches, as we are already at 3000, 4000, or 5000 rpms already, this should absolutely help on the street in regular traffic conditions. also i guess everyone should be forewarned that going too thick on the spacer (tape in this case) is also a bad idea lol

I can see that as well, stop light to stop light fun this mod could help.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike

i edited your post to show the pics in the thread instead of grouped at the bottom. they needed to be hosted on a diff site. i got them on photobucket

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, @Mike,

I do think this is a brilliant mod, don't get me wrong. I was just looking at it from a drag racers approach which is a bad habit of mine. Though there are some folks that launch from idle in bracket racing, I can see this mod helping there.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That Did It!!! It Is Fixed!!!!!!!!

Well I drove it. What can I say except now it acts just as if it has a throttle cable on it!!!:shock:

This is all I got to say about "Tube's" findings:

:allhail:

The part throttle driveability is now simply outstanding. Just the slightest touch of the gas pedal now makes the car actually GO! It is so much easier to drive now from a dead stop or slow speed.

Idle is fine (600-700 in D), and no CELs. WOT works just as it did before.

I also noticed two other things:

1. When you back off the gas it now feels as if the throttle is closing completely. I can feel that "snap" sensation in the drivetrain when I let off the throttle.

2. At about 40-45mph with OD engaged and the torque converter locked, a slight jab of the gas pedal immediately causes my torque converter to unlock and the revs jump!

That was well worth the time I spent on it this morning as it has fixed what I have been bitching about for months!!!!!!!

By the way, the mod I did technically DOES NOT require you to remove the entire gas pedal assembly! You can do it with the damn thing still attached. Although it is a major pain in the ass to crawl up in there to work, but hey, I'm 46 and my old back ain't what it used to be!

Of course I removed mine just to take a good gander at it and saw right quick that I could do a simpler mod with a piece of tape!!!:clap:

Hope this helps.

Mike

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2. At about 40-45mph with OD engaged and the torque converter locked, a slight jab of the gas pedal immediately causes my torque converter to unlock and the revs jump!

Wow, thanks for the thorough write up. This point really catches my eye. I think I will be looking into this mod in the future.

Thanks again.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the thorough write up. This point really catches my eye. I think I will be looking into this mod in the future.

Thanks again.

You're most welcome.

This problem is basically induced from the manufacturing tolerances in the brush to resistor contact.

Wouldn't it be funny as hell if Ford used this tape deal as a TSB! I wonder if they read the stuff we post?

I also posted the link with the details back on MF and of course they censored the link, but I fixed that too! :stir:

Mike

Rash

Reaction score
Nice job Mike. I was planning on spending some time on this tomorrow to come up with an easier, less invasive way to move those brushes off the dead zone. You beat me to it. Gonna try it tomorrow.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, just to avoid doubt Mike, you did the mod with the double sided tape, not the bending the brush tip thing as posted in mustang forums, right?

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, just to avoid doubt Mike, you did the mod with the double sided tape, not the bending the brush tip thing as posted in mustang forums, right?

Correct. Tape only. No opening up the guts and bending anything.

Hope this helps.

Mike

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Ok everyone that has the dead spot.
Has that been established with 100% certainty? Cuz I sure never feel it on my car at all.

But, after I get mine back together, I may try the tape trick and see if I notice any difference. But I'm certainly not going to go in and bend anything. I'm very happy with how my car drives and reacts to the throttle. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

davids2toys

Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure, I just tried my car again, I think I have NO lag at all. I have a manual shift, throttle body spacer,k+n CAI,bamachips RACETUNE.
Dont recall ever having a lag, just that total dead spot when trying to blip the throttle between downshifts.Since the racetune it is very responsive, but still have the rise in RPM's when I let off the gas or depress the clutch...I might have to look at this. What I may do though is expose both sides of the tape and put a piece of .020 aluminum on it, this will help spread the load over a wider area and the the tape will not compress because there will be no hardpoints!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is pretty responsive when I tip the throttle, but there is a lag when I let off the gas. It seems like the throttle stays open a half-second after I let off the gas. That's my biggest beef. Does anyone else have this? Would the tape or wire bending correct it?

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is pretty responsive when I tip the throttle, but there is a lag when I let off the gas. It seems like the throttle stays open a half-second after I let off the gas. That's my biggest beef. Does anyone else have this? Would the tape or wire bending correct it?

I think it might as I felt the "snap back" when I would let off the throttle.

I do recommend the tape rather than bending, as electronic parts can be a bit "sans-sa-tave" to tiny mechanical adjustments!

I also like the small piece of aluminum that was suggested, but I am going to wait and see if the tape scrunches up too much before doing that.

Happy modding!

Mike

mvon919

Everwaken
Reaction score
Soooooo... I did the Tube MOD. Nice. But I did it better...

I remove the pedal assy. I opened the electrical cover (brush side) and took alook... YOU DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH THEM! But I saw that my brushes went to dead zone about 1 mm or so...

So, I opened the other side cover, "mechanical side"... under there is a big spring (don't worry, I won't pop off) and you can see the back side of the pedal has about 1½" x 1" area that stops into a wall inside.

1. I took the spring off and lifted the pedal...
2. I put 2" strip of double sided 3M VHB tape into that wall behind where the pedal will stop
3. Dropped in the pedal, put the spring back
4. Calibrated the TB
5. Started the car and bueno! NO DEAD SPACE. It's very sensitive now... meaning it picks up rpms right away.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back