Outstanding Throttle Response write up...

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check this out. Some folks think they know it all now don't they!:clap: I just had to laugh at their ignorance.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f79/modifying-gas-pedal-module-better-response-91296.html

I wonder if I will get banned over there for posting this on our board?!:laughlots:

Mike
Probably!
Well, I ain't so smart that I can't learn something from everybody so I read about all the Mustang forums. In the three years I have been hanging around I have learned.
That There are those that know what they are talking about.
There are those that think they know what they are talking about and do not.
Then there are those that are just full of shit.

+1! :clap:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL!

I went ahead and posted a couple of blurbs over there just for the hell of it. We'll see what happens.

Mike

MTAS

Flesh is the Law
Reaction score
Hey, I took the pedal assy apart and if you're putting that tape into that shaft it's good for few days... put it INSIDE, under the right side cover (not the electrical connector side) and it'll last. Open up the mech-side cover and you'll see what I mean. Fuk, I should had my camera with me earlier today...

Miika I took your pic from MF:

PIC_0029.jpg

Here's my pedal from my '05, built December '04:

Interesting to say the least. I'll be doing the tape method myself, but the way MikeVisaBlue06 did his.

Attachments

• DSC06102.JPG
    DSC06102.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 38

mvon919

Everwaken
Reaction score
Miika I took your pic from MF:

PIC_0029.jpg

Here's my pedal from my '05, built December '04:

Interesting to say the least. I'll be doing the tape method myself, but the way MikeVisaBlue06 did his.

Your pic is from the oher side, but still your is different. In my pedal there's covers on both sides with 5 torx screws keeping it closed.

Booger

No longer under warranty
Reaction score
I did the bend the wires mod on my wife's '05 V6 (rev 4) and it worked like a champ. She has complained all along about the throttle not responding and she was becoming an unhappy camper and you guys know when mama ain't happy you ain't happy.

I haven't notice much if any lag in my GT but I may try the tape mod anyway as it would be nice to have the engine rpm return to normal when the pedal is released. Thanks Tube for the idea.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mustang are made in england, and more than that, they are labeled Jaguar.
Mother of God! Its going to require monthly service now!

Give me some of those Mexican and Canadian auto parts any day...

Sad to say that Ford has actually improved quality at Jag and not the other way around... Too bad Ford picked this era to make a comeback in quality, design, etc... The macro-economic fan is just going to blow the piss back in their face...

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mother of God! Its going to require monthly service now!

Give me some of those Mexican and Canadian auto parts any day...

Sad to say that Ford has actually improved quality at Jag and not the other way around... Too bad Ford picked this era to make a comeback in quality, design, etc... The macro-economic fan is just going to blow the piss back in their face...

Hey you are working in a newspaper or on tv, you change what i said. :thud:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey you are working in a newspaper or on tv, you change what i said. :thud:
Nah - Its just the internet where facts go to die...

Alright enough hijacking - I think my 06 has or is developing this issue - did not notice lag before, but going back and forth between the 05 and 06, there is something very different there - time for some data logs..

S

scorpio333

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but my 08 has this issue and it's the thing I hate most about the car. I've been searching around and reading. My first attempt at fixing it went so-so. I cut a thin piece of metal and used it in place of the tape. It worked well, but after a lot of tinkering with it led me to scrapping it. I went from very little dead spot left to starting the car and jumping right to 2700RPM. And that was all without securing the metal strip, which was the main reason for abandoning. My concern with the tape is what others have posted here - that over time the cushion of the tape will fade. Anyone that's used the tape had any issues in the past year?

I've also considered trying to install a set screw. Problem here is I'm not sure the best place for it. Anyone try this and have images?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy old thread revival Batman!

What's wrong with just replacing the tape every blue moon if it holds up for a long time?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but my 08 has this issue and it's the thing I hate most about the car. I've been searching around and reading. My first attempt at fixing it went so-so. I cut a thin piece of metal and used it in place of the tape. It worked well, but after a lot of tinkering with it led me to scrapping it. I went from very little dead spot left to starting the car and jumping right to 2700RPM. And that was all without securing the metal strip, which was the main reason for abandoning. My concern with the tape is what others have posted here - that over time the cushion of the tape will fade. Anyone that's used the tape had any issues in the past year?

I've also considered trying to install a set screw. Problem here is I'm not sure the best place for it. Anyone try this and have images?

I took mine apart, and drilled a small hole and threaded a 1.25" bolt through it so it would act as a set screw. I am talking about the very back part of the pedal that mounts to the firewall. This is where I put the screw--the head of the screw will be pointing at your foot for the correct orientation.

I put a small piece of metal tube over the outside of the bolt, cut a slot in the end of the bolt so a screwdriver would fit in it. Then I reassembled everthing, and with the gas pedal still hanging from the wiring harness connector, I started the car and tightened the set screw until I saw/heard the rpm starting to increase. I then shut the car off, re-attached the gas pedal, turned the key to the on position without starting it, and then I pressed the gas pedal slowly all the way to the floor, and then let it rapidly release back to the idle position. Started the car and no more lag. It has been running this way for 6 months without any issues.

I don't have pictures of it, but I took one of the pictures above and gave an idea how the set screw would go (in green). In the picture, the head of the screw would actually be behind the plastic part that is shown.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Attachments

• set-screw.jpg
    set-screw.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
S

scorpio333

Mike thanks for posting that pic! I had the pedal on and off 3 times tonight. I took the mechanical side cover off and had about the same idea you did on the screw. Seeing what you did makes perfect sense now and is a huge help! I currently have three slices of emblem tape on the pedal arm and only cut the slack about 1/2 way. The tape has too much cushion. I'll need to get in there again tomorrow and do the screw and settle this once and far all.

BTW, I tried the calibration trick while I was down there, key on, pedal down, up and so on. You can here something clicking while doing so, however after starting it made no difference.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet.. Never seen this before.

I'm going to buy a new pedal assembly and try to bend the brushes. I don't want to ghetto rig anything with tape.

Any complaints about bending the brushes now that a year has almost passed since this was originally posted?

S

scorpio333

Before you go bending the brushes - install the new unit and see if you even need to. This all comes down to tolerances - some have the need to correct it, others are spot on. Cross your finger the new unit works, if it doesn't use whatever you are most comfortable with.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I really don't even have any deadspot right now.

I just want the throttle repsonse to be even more neck-breaking

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yep, i admit, i saw that thread also back when it originated. does that make me an outcast?

i don't have any throttle lag.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
part num 4R3Z-9F836-BD

Is this part # for a Rev 1.0 circuit board or a Rev 4.0 board?

I really need to know.

Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back