Outstanding Throttle Response write up...

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actual Electrical Makeup of this thing

Poster sent back to school for remediation.........

The device is a combination of variable resistors (thin-film type) and potientiometers.:oops:

Mike

Last edited:
T

tube

I don't think those are caps, I think they just spray the carbon onto the tracks to give a negative contact that will accept a brush scraping against it with a uniform resistance.

I did some research, it seems that "REV 4" board is the last revision of an OLD design, the REV 1.0 boards that the newer 07+ have is a new revision of a board made by a different company. This must be why my 06 explorer doesn't have any dead space, while my 08 mustang, with the same pedal assembly, has dead space.

It seems that most 05-06 models don't have any issues with throttle dead space, due to the use of this older circuit board design.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think those are caps, I think they just spray the carbon onto the tracks to give a negative contact that will accept a brush scraping against it with a uniform resistance.

I did some research, it seems that "REV 4" board is the last revision of an OLD design, the REV 1.0 boards that the newer 07+ have is a new revision of a board made by a different company. This must be why my 06 explorer doesn't have any dead space, while my 08 mustang, with the same pedal assembly, has dead space.

It seems that most 05-06 models don't have any issues with throttle dead space, due to the use of this older circuit board design.

You're right. I shouldn't have stayed up too late! The 2nd contact is the brush on those with a single lead! Duh on me!!

Give me an F in EE for today!:oops:

Mike

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Give me an F in EE for today!

lol...maybe a D. Failing sucks.

I am an EE/ME. By the pic you showed, does not appear to have any components there. Surface mount components are easy enough to see and are standard in how they are packaged. Also, caps are two terminal devices.

Looks like a one or maybe two layer board, but I can't see the backside in the pic. But there are no via's to tie any layers so I bet that is a one layer board.

Ford may have had QC problems with the assembly. If one out of so many cars they build has a problem where it won't idle or something and needs the pedal replaced or something before it leaves the plant per say. So they may have put in a little extra dead space.

I can't say I have noticed any dead spot in my car really.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I got down on all fours (get your mind out of the gutter) and tested the pedal response with my fingers. Gotta say that it is dead on. The slightest bit of pressure and the RPMs start to climb. No issues with mine. Aug 05 build, so guessing it's the Rev 4 circuit board.

Last edited:

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is still working after an overnight sitting.

My wife locked her keys in the trunk over at the Firewheel Mall and called me to bring her a spare key.

Well of course this allowed me to drive Bluebonnet.

All I can say is that my 3M doublesided sticky tape mod has held into place and the mod is working like a charm. The throttle is extremely reponsive to just the slightest pressure on the gas pedal. Just a tiny bit of pressure while cruising and you can see the tach blip upwards.

No more deadspot!!! Again, I played around at 40 to 70 mph and observed these two things again:

1. When you let off the gas, you feel the car snap back/pullback just as if it had a throttle cable.

2. At 40-50 when you jab the gas just a little the TC unlocks and the revs jump.

Tube you're my hero!!!! :allhail:

Finally this thing feels like a musclecar should when you touch the gas pedal!!!

Mike

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

silverbull1tt

forum member
Reaction score
I went out and tested my throttle this afternoon and I also do not have this issue, thankfully. The slightest touch on the pedal and my rpm's rise.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That REV 4 says England. Nothing good never came from England. And Iraq and South Africa.... the Asian countries... and such.

I'm having a date with Ms Teen SC today. Wish me luck. My wife's off town ;)

Too bad for you as actually some part of your mustang are made in england, and more than that, they are labeled Jaguar.

me-gone

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I ain't so smart that I can't learn something from everybody so I read about all the Mustang forums. In the three years I have been hanging around I have learned.
That There are those that know what they are talking about.
There are those that think they know what they are talking about and do not.
Then there are those that are just full of shit.

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
While I didn't have much play in mine I decided to try the tape mod yesterday. There was a noticeable improvement and I no longer notice that annoying clunkiness between shifts as the revs fall off. Not bad for a 30 second mod.

Rash

Reaction score
That There are those that know what they are talking about.
There are those that think they know what they are talking about and do not.
Then there are those that are just full of shit.
Pretty much applies to life in general, doesn't it?

Back