Overheating 3V

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Got my built stroked turboed 3V up and running, but I don't have a good tune for it yet and I am just driving it around real nice to get the clutch broke in. So far I have only drove it a mile or two down the road and runs pretty good. In these very short(5 min) driving stints I noticed that the factory engine temp guage wasn't registering. Tonight I drove it about 5 min, brought it in to the shop, shut it off, then started it back up at an idle to look for a small oil leak. We looked for a two or three minutes, then I thought I could hear a little valve train noise, then I noticed the coolant reservoir was trickling a little coolant out the cap. I immediately shut the engine off, but allowed the electric pump to circulate for a few minutes. The build should be around 600 rwhp on the factory cooling system -a mezier electric water pump. The electric fan never kicked on. if the coolant temp sensor was not working, would this cause the fan to not kick on, and would this cause the car to overheat at idle??

FastHorse

Reaction score
Got my built stroked turboed 3V up and running, but I don't have a good tune for it yet and I am just driving it around real nice to get the clutch broke in. So far I have only drove it a mile or two down the road and runs pretty good. In these very short(5 min) driving stints I noticed that the factory engine temp guage wasn't registering. Tonight I drove it about 5 min, brought it in to the shop, shut it off, then started it back up at an idle to look for a small oil leak. We looked for a two or three minutes, then I thought I could hear a little valve train noise, then I noticed the coolant reservoir was trickling a little coolant out the cap. I immediately shut the engine off, but allowed the electric pump to circulate for a few minutes. The build should be around 600 rwhp on the factory cooling system -a mezier electric water pump. The electric fan never kicked on. if the coolant temp sensor was not working, would this cause the fan to not kick on, and would this cause the car to overheat at idle??

You have a high and low speed on the electric fans. The low comes on when the coolant temperature sensor sends the signal to your computer once it has reached a certain temp. The high will always be on when you have your A/C on Max. Is this your daily driver? I was told not to go with the electric water pump on my daily driver if I drive more than 10 miles everyday. The work, they free up some HP, but if they go bad you wont know it until you see your temp gauge and you have overheated it. If it was to fail. Versus the manual, is always working unless your belt is missing.

Hope that helps

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're using SCT tuning software connect a laptop to the x-cal via a USB cable and see what's going on.
You will be able to see the engine coolant temperature (ECT) cylinder head temperature (CHT), if the fans are commanded on ect.
If you're using a Diablosport Predator you can view these things directly on the device.

You sir,have an air bubble in your system!
There is a fitting on the water crossover tube. open it and fill it from there. Don't try this with the EH2O pump running or you will get really wet.

You have a high and low speed on the electric fans. The low comes on when the coolant temperature sensor sends the signal to your computer once it has reached a certain temp. The high will always be on when you have your A/C on Max. Is this your daily driver? I was told not to go with the electric water pump on my daily driver if I drive more than 10 miles everyday. The work, they free up some HP, but if they go bad you wont know it until you see your temp gauge and you have overheated it. If it was to fail. Versus the manual, is always working unless your belt is missing.

Hope that helps
Many of us with supercharged cars use the EH2O pump as a safety device in case we lose our belts.
You can drive the car to a safe location and then pull over which is something you cannot do with the engine driven pump.
The motor has a 3,000 hour life expectancy.
It is also very useful for cooling down the car at the racetrack.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive been using my electric h20 pump for over 15k miles with no issue whether im driving at the track or around the streets. there are a few cars that come stock with electric pumps. whoever told you not to use it on a DD is an idiot and you shouldnt be taking advice from them

FastHorse

Reaction score
I have never thrown a belt on the street. Then again I only drive my car hard at the track. The only time I have is during a burn out at the track and I just put the belt back on. I take my car out of town quite a bit. All they told me (This is coming from a shop owner/ Racecar builder and driver in the NMRA) Its an awesome pump I use it on All my Racecars. But If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere or inbetween towns in Texas, Its alot easier to find a belt versus the electric water pump to get you out of trouble. Another words if you dont have extra in your trunk your out of luck. Alot of us supercharged guys always carry an extra belt in the trunk.

Nothing against anyone here. Just what they recommended to me.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have never thrown a belt on the street. Then again I only drive my car hard at the track. The only time I have is during a burn out at the track and I just put the belt back on. I take my car out of town quite a bit. All they told me (This is coming from a shop owner/ Racecar builder and driver in the NMRA) Its an awesome pump I use it on All my Racecars. But If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere or inbetween towns in Texas, Its alot easier to find a belt versus the electric water pump to get you out of trouble. Another words if you dont have extra in your trunk your out of luck. Alot of us supercharged guys always carry an extra belt in the trunk.

Nothing against anyone here. Just what they recommended to me.

The pump itself most likely wouldnt die, the relay would. i keep a spare relay in my glove box. I have never had it fail on me yet.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Re: eH2O vs belt-drive pump. There are obviously pros and cons for both types of pumps. For me, the pros of having an eH2O pump far outweigh the cons, so it stays on my car. But to say "not to go with the electric water pump on my daily driver if I drive more than 10 miles everyday"... well, that's just plain dumb.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

How did you mix your coolant?

Never use more than a 50/50 mix unless you live way up North (Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, etc.) where a 70/30 antifreeze/water mix is necessary to provide maximum freeze protection.

If you live where it is warm, you can get away with a 33/67 antifreeze/water ratio and that will hold down to 0°F and transfer more heat than a 50/50 mix.

Hope this helps.

Mike

FastHorse

Reaction score
Wow are you serious? I just joined this forum last night and already this. I never said the electric pump doesnt work nor did I say that anyone that has one over a manual was "Dumb or an Idiot" (like you all did to me) I simply said of the advice that was given to me. What a way to welcome a new comer guys huh.

I didnt expect my fellow s197 owners to lash out like that but i was mistaken.

Sorry guys for all the trouble I'm obviously not welcome here.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Wow are you serious? I just joined this forum last night and already this. I never said the electric pump doesnt work nor did I say that anyone that has one over a manual was "Dumb or an Idiot" (like you all did to me) I simply said of the advice that was given to me. What a way to welcome a new comer guys huh.

I didnt expect my fellow s197 owners to lash out like that but i was mistaken.

Sorry guys for all the trouble I'm obviously not welcome here.
Everyone is welcome here, so calm down. This is not some sugar-coating forum... we can all take it, as well as dish it out. We say what we think... that's what makes it a great place.

And for the record, no one called you dumb... the "statement" was dumb, and whoever told you that apparently doesn't know as much as they think they do. EH2O pumps have been on daily drivers for many many years, and have a pretty dam good record.

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I am going to fix my temp sensor tonight and see if that makes the fan kick on. I will also fill it from the coolant crossover tube. FYI the car is stock bore and I have a mix of about 60 coolant 40 water.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I am going to fix my temp sensor tonight and see if that makes the fan kick on. I will also fill it from the coolant crossover tube. FYI the car is stock bore and I have a mix of about 60 coolant 40 water.

You do know that the more coolant (antifreeze) that you add the less heat the fluid will pull from the engine, and that can cause it to run hot.

You may want to add distilled water only to even it out to 50/50.

Hope this helps.

Mike

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive been using my electric h20 pump for over 15k miles with no issue whether im driving at the track or around the streets. there are a few cars that come stock with electric pumps. whoever told you not to use it on a DD is an idiot and you shouldnt be taking advice from them

Indeed

I have 45k miles on mine. I can sit in traffic on a hot day and watch my temp drop from 210 down to 190 in 10-20 seconds

I had 2 relay failures with this pump. It was my fault though because I didn't know you had to screw down the relay. All the banging around made it fail, they are sensitive. I also replaced my relay with a water proof one

Last edited:
Back