Overheating Problem

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Well the other day its was about 90 degrees outside here in indiana i was in stop in go traffic and noticed the car was creeping up in temp it got to the point i had to pull over. I let the car cool down started it back up and barely got home i drove it the other night to work i work 3rd shift so it was obviously cooler outside and it never went above midway on the the temp gauge. I drove it around after work as the temperature outside rose and it never overheated, I came home turned it off started it back up and took off again then it started overheating. It seems if i restart it after the engine is warm it wants to overheat. I have a Paxton Novi 2200, the coolant level is good, fans are running, any ideas on what it could be i was thinking maybe stuck thermo but wanted to get some opinions Thanks Guys!

stang67gt

wrench turner
Reaction score
Stock fan?

I had a similar thing happen, and it turned out to be in the tune.

If you have a handheld I would recommend datalogging with Livelink and check the PIDs for High Speed fan flag and Low speed fan flag. With the stock fan assembly, they use a resister on low speed fan. Also there are parameters for the the car to complete before it will command the high speed fan to turn on. Just some food for thought.

Now I got rid of the stock fan to put in a bigger turbo in, to a single speed flex-a-lite black magic fan and no overheating issues to date.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking that it could be in the tune as well ill try the datalogging ( it is the stock fan) I drove it today low and high speed fans are running it was hot today to and never overheated just did a few laps around the neighborhood though. It seems sporadic. It's only when its around 90 degrees outside. the Paxton coolant tank is hard to tell how much you need its like 4 inches from the top.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Bump filled it up with coolant same problem it overheated once cooled back down (with heater on) then was fine

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Lol figured that was gona be the answer. Ill see I might as well replace it if I'm gona pull it off anyways.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
It's only on really hot days though seems like if the t stat was sucked closed it would happen in all weather right?

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
I'll have to do it tomorrow. Stock is 180 right? Ill buy a new one so I no that can't be the problem if it keeps overheating

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back