Overheating with Procharger

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
Alright, so I did a thorough search before I decided to post this. I am up in arms about what could possibly be causing this so I am hoping someone has some good advice.

I have a procharger on my 05 GT. Running 14 PSI currently on an 8-rib pulley. Lately, I have noticed that my car has been running hot everytime I turn on the A/C. Granted, I live in TX where yesterday the temp was 110. The AC blows WARM air and the car immediately starts to rise in temperature. I shut the car off, of course, before it gets too hot. The car is not losing any anti-freeze/coolant but runs hot and smells like anti-freeze. Any suggestions?

The only thing that I could think of was the thermostat was stuck half way or the water pump isn't pumping enough for the increased work. I am so lost. :dead2:

Thanks in advance for any help!

MOC826

I have a shitty program!
Reaction score
how many miles are on the car? sounds like the thermostat to me isnt opening

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Have you recently drained the cooling system? If so, did you bleed the air out of the system?

Reaction score
also check your cooling hose down by the ps pump , it makes a harsh bend and you could have a restriction there!! did you upggrade to the later cooling system design or do you have the spider web cluster fuck 05/06

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
I have the stock radiator from the 05 because I was worried about clearance issues with the plumbing of the procharger and the intercooler plumbing. Any suggestions on upgrades?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the stock radiator is very good. its not the cause of your issue, garunteed, unless its clogged.

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
Yeah, it is definitely not clogged. I'm thinking it may be that the thermostat isn't opening fully or I need an electric water pump.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there are plenty of ppl running more boost and the same stock radiator/stock water pump combo without problems, so the eh20 pump wont solve the problem. youve got other issues. Look at the tstat first.

Reaction score
Electric or mechanical water pump makes no difference ,that car should idle all day in this texas heat, when i had mine which was an 06 with a procharger at 14 lbs boost i never had any problems , i upgraded to the 07-10 cooling config! it reroutes the hoses just a bit and all arround is a much better and more efficiant way for your cooling system to run, its an easy change to make , but your problem sounds like a bad t stat , start there . and dont buy a cheap piece of autozone shit, get a good one its just a few more dollars

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
If I don't pull over and turn the car off it will go into the red. I don't actually have a numbered temp gauge (haven't replaced or added gauges yet) but it will go all the way into the red on the stock temp gauge.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
If I don't pull over and turn the car off it will go into the red. I don't actually have a numbered temp gauge (haven't replaced or added gauges yet) but it will go all the way into the red on the stock temp gauge.

ouch....in the past when i have seen mine go into the red (old motor) it was 250 degrees.

what temp do you have the fans coming on and what thermostat are you using?

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
Well, I put it up on ramps in my garage and ran the car to normal operating temp with the coolant cap off. I was also squeezing the CRAP out of the hose hoping to burp any air out that way.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back