Paint on a Textured GT500 Rear Bumper????

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I picked up a GT500 rear bumper thinking it was the same as the GT/CS rear bumper. Little did I know that the difference lies in the fact that the GT500 is textured and not painted where the GT/CS is smooth to be painted.

Well I'm also doing the GT500 front conversion, but really wasn't planning on doing the textured side skirts. My question is can I have the shop sand out the texture and paint that portion of the rear bumper(CAN THAT BE DONE????)(Steve from Tousley said it looks like ass when its done that way) or leave it as it is intended to be. Then I'd have to decide if I wanted to spend the extra cash on the side skirts(197/pair). I could also get my sides painted possibly to match better.

Here is a pic I found in my search to find the answer. Guy was in the same boat and didn't realize that the lower was textured. Doesn't look bad though. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=457490&postcount=6

Please share your opinions!
Current look
2011-06-12_18-45-32_605.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yes it can be done, it's just more labor intensive. So what you save on the bumper, you'll pay in labor.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
So, sounds like I am incorrect as well in thinking the GT500 & GT/CS rears were the same... which one looks like a standard mustang bumper with the textured area ONLY between the tailpipes? Is that the GT/CS?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
It can be sanded smooth and painted easily. Or just run the plastic chin and plastic diffusers keep your side skirts and paint your mirrors will look just as clean just has to flow.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I think my car would look good with the textured skirts to flow well with the bumper and the chin, but I just didn't visualize it that way when I set out to do these modifications.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
i ordered the cs/gt rear and the sides are textured. i had everything painted except in between the tail pipes. sorry no good close up pics of it to show you. every pic i have you can't tell it's textured.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Dude I gotta see it maybe a macro close up or something! Please make it happen. Do you like it? I figured the paint wouldn't stick to the textured part as well.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
See now that looks pretty good! Probably GT side skirts painted, CS rear bumper, and then just a painted chin????

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
i don't know what they did, but it was painted early last year and i haven't had any issues with it.

sorry OP: i'm out of the country and the best i can do is what i have on photobucket. fwiw i do like it. it isn't perfectly smooth on just the bottom part, but i like it and no one has ever said anything about it. i'll see if i can find anything else on my laptop, but it sometimes takes a while to get them to upload to photobucket. internet sucks

video might be able to see a little bit, but we had just gone up pikes peak so it's kinda dusty.

DSC_0951.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My bumper doesn't have texture on the side, didn't even know it was textured on the gt500 thought they just left it unpainted.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Thats a gt500 bumper just painted.

I can kindof see that it has a little texture to it but its very hard to see. I wish I could see it in person.

If I go the route of painting it after getting it sanded down, I don't want it to look like shit and completely ruin my bumper.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if the rear of. Gt/cs is the same way as the front, but on the front most body shops paint over the textured parts without smoothing it down. If you look closely you can see how it is textured, even on factory gtcs cars.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back