Panhard bar keeps loosening up

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
If I have an adjustable wrench, I have no idea where it is. IMHO if you are going to "turn wrenches" on a car, you should have a good set of actual wrenches.

You have a nice car; buy yourself a nice set of basic tools to take care of it.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The amount of laziness in this thread is unbelievable... If you think buying locktight and a wrench is alot, I highly recommend you don't do your own work...

I never said it's a lot, I was making a list of things that need to be done.
I have a lot of tools, but don't have 1"+ wrenches ... not many people probably do.

But I will after today.

I'll clean off the grease, but the red Loctite and the wrench(es), and re-tighten, then keep an eye on them again and see if they still loosen up

Thanks to all that had something constructive to add to the thread :)

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't have wrenches over 1" either, and I grew up in a gas station helping my old man fix cars. I also own a Class 6 truck (33K GVW) and do most of the work on that. Adjustable wrenches are fine for stuff over 1" most of the time. I have sockets to 1⅜" but you can't use a socket on that.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
If I have an adjustable wrench, I have no idea where it is. IMHO if you are going to "turn wrenches" on a car, you should have a good set of actual wrenches.

You have a nice car; buy yourself a nice set of basic tools to take care of it.

Tool snob :naughty1:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm the tool snob damnit. Every tool I own has its own purpose. I don't own crescent wrenches, vise grips, or channel locks.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I'm the tool snob damnit. Every tool I own has its own purpose. I don't own crescent wrenches, vise grips, or channel locks.

I wish that you lived closer. It would save me the time and money looking for tools that I may only use twice in my lifetime :)

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a Steeda panhard bar, I believe it is a 1 1/2" that you need. Not sure for the J&M. Steeda and BMR both reccomend loctite on the jam nuts. I used Blue and it is holding so far.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its what i do, over the past 25 years ive aquired almost every tool ive needed. I did just buy a set of ratcheting wrenches. lol i got tired of dealing with sockets for simple projects.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have a lot of tools, but don't have 1"+ wrenches ... not many people probably do.

But I will after today.

I'll clean off the grease, but the red Loctite and the wrench(es), and re-tighten, then keep an eye on them again and see if they still loosen up

Red loctite takes heat to break down. Blue is used for removable parts. Green 290 will wick into parts that are already installed.

Here's something constructive: What value did you torque the panhard bolts to? I hope the answer isn't goodntite. It's a suspension component.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They sell a three pack of adjustables at Home Depot. One of the best purchases I've ever made in regards to the car. They are perfect for tightening jam nuts. And when you do tighten them, go ahead and put your body into it. Otherwise they will start clunking. Don't forget the red locktite.

There's a tool for the job and then there's the right tool for the job. The tool might work, but the right one will work every time.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Use Blue Locktite. If you ever need to remove the PHB, red can be a real bitch to get off. Not to mention the stripped threads I've seen when taking off fasteners that were put on with Red.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Red loctite takes heat to break down. Blue is used for removable parts. Green 290 will wick into parts that are already installed.

Here's something constructive: What value did you torque the panhard bolts to? I hope the answer isn't goodntite. It's a suspension component.

I torqued to 129 ft-lbs I believe, like the instructions say

And I'm done with this, at least for now.

I went out, sprayed the hell out of it with brake cleaner, backed off the left nut (the one that kept coming loose), sprayed the threads, went to the store, got a multi-pack of wrenches to 1 1/8" and some red thread locker, got back to the car, applied the red, then used the 1 1/8" wrench to tighten the nut as much as I could with the leverage I had.
The packaging said the threadlocker takes 20-60 minutes to set, 24 hrs to completely cure.
Not going anywhere for at least 2 hours.
While I was outside playing with the car I went ahead and squirted some grease into the LCA grease fittings since I was starting to hear a bit of squeaking from the rear going over speed bumps.

So we'll see.

Current look under there:

2013-06-02_PHB_zps2cd981b5.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Who uses green loctite?

There are at least two kinds. One is 290. It's great for things that need to be adjusted then loctitied. It wicks in and holds just like blue.

The other is 540 sleeve and bearing retainer. You don't want to use this for car parts ever. Once it sets only a torch will break it down. I've used it on an ar gas block and didn't get the hole and port lined up correctly the first go around. It was a nightmare to correct.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score

But I will after today.

This!! I had to ask my tire shop to loosen my lca nuts so I could tighten my bushings and it is so embarassing.I later bought a 1"+ wrench set but I spent $60 bucks on it

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lol, that's where I got the 14-piece combination wrench set for $20 from :D

"Lifetime warranty" written on the package otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, and it did the job.

And the Autozone that's less than 1/4-mile away from my place didn't have a combo set, and I didn't wanna spend $13-14 each for the wrenches, only to buy the wrong sizes.
Now I have a 14-piece set that I'll keep and use whenever I want

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back