Parking brake snapped.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
Came home from work today, parked, and pulled up on the handle. Heard a pop and lost all tension in the handle. Did a quick search and it looks like I need a whole new handle assembly...and I might as well do the rear cables as well. I came up with these part numbers for the rear cables. I just want to make sure they are correct.

6R3Z-2A635-F
BR3Z-2A635-A

Since I will need a new handle as well, I was hoping to get something leather wrapped like the GT500 handle. All the pictures Ive seen on the net makes the leather look more grey than black. Is there a black leather wrapped one? The only part number I came up with is 9R3Z-2780-A. If there is an actual black leather shifter boot as well I'd be interested. Dont know how the handle would look with my worn faux leather shift boot I have now.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I used the first one here: Link and the second one popped up. So, it must be the second one.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
You have had the worst luck with that car Tom....wow.....

No kidding. I bought the car with 27K on it and it has 53K now. So far I've had to replace the sway bar endlinks, have the alternator rebuilt, have the issue where water gushes into the passenger side fixed, and now this. Not to mention everything I haven't fixed yet like all the rattles, the leather coming off the door, clogged drains, and I'm pretty sure my passenger seat isnt supposed to shake violently when I hit a bump.

Ford service is horrible on top of their quality. It will take a lot to convince me to buy another Ford considering the trouble I also had with my Explorer.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to owning a convertible those little rattles never go away.

As for the passenger seat never heard of that check the mounting brackets and bolts.

Tousley ford has the best price on a new ebrake cable.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...that's why you put power adders and louder exhausts on to drown out the noise!

Does not excuse the cable snapping...did it come from a Northern state was rusty?

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
I can understand that...where did you buy it from?

Bought it from Freedom. They were great until a few days of owning it when it rained...

Car was bought at Beach Ford so I think it was local. But, I also think the previous owner just let it sit outside.

Welcome to owning a convertible those little rattles never go away.

As for the passenger seat never heard of that check the mounting brackets and bolts.

Tousley ford has the best price on a new ebrake cable.

I understand some rattles are just there, but IMO there is no reason for the plastic pieces in the doors to make the noise they do.

I will take another look at the seat, but the bottom seems solid, its just the back that flails around.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an 07, bought my car from beach ford. They fixed alot of those issues from 05/06 in 07. I have a rattle in my passneger side door that i cant find/fix, just use to it now.

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
My cable snapped sometime this past year. I just park it in gear now, didn't feel like spending 130 for a gt500 handle and cable.
Mine was probably around 55k miles when my cable snapped, car is an 06.

TopoGuy

The Gunny
Reaction score
Wow. I feel fortunate. Mine just snapped at 86K!...sounds like record. I just bought the GT500 handle from Levittown fpr $173 shipped, so I hope it's not gray!!! I'll be pissed! Did you end up replacing yours with the GT500 piece? Was the leather black?

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Wow. I feel fortunate. Mine just snapped at 86K!...sounds like record. I just bought the GT500 handle from Levittown fpr $173 shipped, so I hope it's not gray!!! I'll be pissed! Did you end up replacing yours with the GT500 piece? Was the leather black?

Dr Frankenstein you have brought back the dead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back