paxton pulley question

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
I am converting my non-intercooled paxton SC into an intercooled kit and would like to step down in pulley size to stay at the same boost level. And i have two questions:
the 3.47 pulley i have is an 8 rib and the SC is currently a 6 rib setup. My thinking is the 8 rib will work fine just have two ribs open, has anyone tried this or know if it will line up ok?
will i need to change the position of the top idler pulley? it is currently in the bottom hole on the bracket. Thanks

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
The rib count shouldn't matter. I plan to run an 8 rib 10% overdrive with my stock 6 rib serpentine. Currently I run a 3.4 pulley and the idler pulley is in the top hole.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
It won't hurt anything. I ran an 8 rib crank pulley with everything else as 6 rib and it worked fine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
What year Mustang?

The Vortech/Paxton require spacers and the mounting bracket to move forward a bit for the 8-rib pulley conversion. Since the pulley is facing the engine cover it won't line up with the rest of the other pulleys.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
it's a 2005, i have the spacers if needed, so i think it should work out. if not i'll just buy a 6 rib 3.4, can anyone recommend best place to buy one?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
It's not just spacers two of the main studs needs to replaced on the bracketry and they are about $100 each.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
I guess i do have those bolts too and a few idler pulleys also, but would still need the rest of the pulleys needed to covert fully to 8 rib. i'm not ready to do that, i don't think it's necessary for my goals. So looks like i'll either pick up a smaller 6 rib pulley for the SC or just leave the same one on and have a little less boost until i change later.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Best bet is keep the 6-rib pulley on it until you are ready to fully convert to 8-rib. It's just not the same as forward facing pullies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back